Rllmuk's Official Sales Figures Thread

Boyatsea

EUROPE/OTHER (according to VGChartz.com estimates)

Wii - 26,351,921

Xbox 360 - 14,948,894

PlayStation 3 - 14,805,261

---

Nintendo DS - 52,012,209

PSP - 23,571,196

UNITED KINGDOM (according to VGChartz.com estimates)

Wii - 6,689,475

Xbox 360 - 4,689,311

PlayStation 3 - 2,966,199

---

Nintendo DS - 10,900,213

PSP - 3,658,323

It's not the first month, though (if you mean the Feb figures): it did 572K in January, so that's about 818K from January 26th to the end of February. Not bad at all really, although not as many as I thought it might sell.

Although perhaps you mean the whole period from release, and expected it to do more.

It's not the first month, though (if you mean the Feb figures): it did 572K in January, so that's about 818K from January 26th to the end of February. Not bad at all really, although not as many as I thought it might sell.

Although perhaps you mean the whole period from release, and expected it to do more.

Surely Mass Effect 2 will have sold huge amounts on the PC? I'd have bought it had my PC been up to snuff for sure. Hell I nearly bought a 360 to be able to play it... but was saved by a complete lack of any money.

So, how long do folks think the PSP Go has got until Sony pull the plug? It's one of those proper disasters isn't it, and I think you can rule out any future DD only console for a good long while.

From a sales figures perspective, yes, it is a disaster. They must, however, be making a tidy profit on the hardware despite that, especially considering how old the tech is is now and the ludicrously high price they charge for it.

From a sales figures perspective, yes, it is a disaster. They must, however, be making a tidy profit on the hardware despite that, especially considering how old the tech is is now and the ludicrously high price they charge for it.

They're making sod all off the PSP Go, you need to sell some to be able to make a profit.

you don't make a tidy profit out of something that sells so badly

Ah, that's my mistake - I hadn't seen January figures at all. Even so - like you - I would have expected it to do better, given both the press it has received and the critical acclaim. This must have had some good promotion in the US?

So, how long do folks think the PSP Go has got until Sony pull the plug? It's one of those proper disasters isn't it, and I think you can rule out any future DD only console for a good long while.

Except Apple have more than proven that a download only model can work very well, it's just Sony fcuked it up in the implementation.

Yeah 820k on one platform in one region in the first month (ish, it launches towards the end of last month) in February are pretty damn good figures, I reckon it sold better than the first.

ME1 sold ~874K in it's first 2 reporting periods, about 2 weeks longer on sale in total, not much in it really.

Except Apple have more than proven that a download only model can work very well, it's just Sony fcuked it up in the implementation.

:quote:

Yup, somehow that completely slipped my mind.

I would argue that Apple were uniquely positioned to enter the games market, not having to pay any attention to the expectations of high street retail. Sony had to play a much more difficult balancing act, pushing out a DD only device whilst keeping retailers sweet enough to ensure their continued support for the PS3 and PSP.

For the big 3 manufacturers, I think the only way they could make the transition to full DD is to keep a united front, and all switch at the same time. No one of the manufacturers is going to want to go into a new generation of consoles without full retail support if the others have it. Maybe Nintendo could do it, as I imagine the supermarkets sell as many Wii's and software as Game, so are less reliant on the demands of the high street game shops.