Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Rex Grossman

1 hour ago, Matt Defis said:

It's hard to feel excited about 2 Welsh wins though. 

Not really. It will build confidence which is what this team desperately needs. Until Pivac isn’t the coach we’ve got to hope the team starts to improve. Not sure who else would do a better job right now.

Watched yesterday's game but despite being tight it never felt that entertaining really. Good result for France though, although I thought they would win by more.

Difficult to take anything from the England performance really, better than vs Scotland but still way off in terms of sharpness. I think this is just going to be a crap year for England, much like the one prior to the WC, albeit for different reasons. I think the autumn internationals, assuming a chunk of England's players are on the Lions tour, will be more instructive of where Jones will take the team. No idea what to expect for the Wales game, I don't think it's unfair to suggest they would have lost both games against 15 men yet they did play a lot better in the second half against Scotland. I suspect it will be a poor game!

France Scotland should be a corker though, could end up being the championship decider (bonus points and points difference allowing).

• 2 weeks later...

I think you’re being kind to those England players! Hopefully a few more weeks in training have helped but I’m not convinced. I predict a lot of knock ons in attack and many reset scrums. Throw in some poor kicking as well and we’re in for a cracker!

14 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

How have England not had a yellow card?

With the amount of penalties they routinely cough up every game, that’s a reasonable question. Presumably the refs don’t consider the constant infringements as deliberate, and just brainless. One thing’s for sure, if you gift a decent team who don’t need the help twenty points you’re going to have to be a bloody good team to overcome that sort of deficit. England might have a fair shout that the first try was a bit dodgy from a refereeing perspective, but the Hardy try from the tap and go was just them being caught napping.

Honestly thougnt Itoje was a definite for the Lions but so far this 6 nations he's looking lkike a massive liability, surely now Eddie Jones has to move things around, England got an absolute arese kicking by a team that everyone said couldn't bveat 15 men.

Well you still had a one man advantage ;)

I think the worst thing about that England performance is that despite two really dodgy tries I still don’t think you can use them as an excuse for the loss. The penalty count was horrendous and make it virtually impossible to win, especially if the opposing team are playing well enough to take advantage of it. Minus the penalties England’s performance was much better, the attack looked sharper than Wales (IMO, of course), and the defence didn’t give up a lot of ground until they were forced to chase.

The Saracens players still look completely lacking in match sharpness, even if the fitness looks like it’s improved. The RFU decision to keep Saracens in the Championship despite the delay to the start of the season is just stupid. I do think it jeopardises all of the Saracens players involvement in the Lions tour.

I see a lot of complaints about the Ref and I'll give you atleast one of the try's is suspect (fuck if Nigel Owens says it was a knock on then it's a knock on) but I think he was very lax on England and their penalties, give England the one maybe 2 yellows they deserved and I think the score might look the same.

I think we’ll have to agree to disagree that the first try was ok, the ref can’t tell Farrell to pull his team out of position then allow the restart before they are back. Well, he can, and did, but I don’t see how anyone can agree that it’s in the spirit of the game. Unsure on potential yellows, I think referees tend to exclude offensive penalties from the cumulative count when going for a yellow, and England had a few of those in the mix. I think they were probably lucky to dodge one towards the end of the second half though.

I should stress that regardless of score I think Wales deserved to win, we agree on that I assume!

I thought England looked better as an attacking force but Ill discipline cost them dearly.

I am pleased that you could subtract the two controversial tries and Wales still win.  Itoje easily should have been binned for his multiple penalties but that non decision doesn't seem to be of importance.

Yeah, I probably would have been too if my team had fluked their way to a triple crown and were on course for a GS despite playing like a bucket of rancid cheese for the most part. 

Would you like to address the piss poor refereeing or just smugly take the win? I'm not saying that England deserved it in any way for what it's worth, but you're such a fucking chore in this this thread it's unreal. 

Well I enjoyed the game a lot (but I’m Welsh). I’ve not been convinced by Pivac but have said he needs more time and I think we are starting to see the benefits. The forwards are finally starting to show their power (some rolling mauls from Wales for once) and their back three look sharp. Centre’s is still tricky as North isn’t a natural and Davies doesn’t look his best but you can’t leave him out of games like this. 

England just didn’t look sharp and their discipline was awful. They came back well enough but had no plan in the last quarter.