Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Rex Grossman

8 hours ago, Starbreaker said:

Yeah, I probably would have been too if my team had fluked their way to a triple crown and were on course for a GS despite playing like a bucket of rancid cheese for the most part. 

Would you like to address the piss poor refereeing or just smugly take the win? I'm not saying that England deserved it in any way for what it's worth, but you're such a fucking chore in this this thread it's unreal. 

You can't call it a fluke, 2 pretty straight forward red cards is what happened in 2 games and a massive penalty count in another, you can't blame one team for another teams indisipline they can only play what is in front of them. 

Look at my posts I've been a huge critic of Wayne Pivac and how the team has played and on the other side it's not my fault that Wales have been the best northern hemisphere team by far over the last 10-12 years so I don't really understand where the chore part comes in.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

You can't call it a fluke, 2 pretty straight forward red cards is what happened in 2 games and a massive penalty count in another, you can't blame one team for another teams indisipline they can only play what is in front of them. 

Look at my posts I've been a huge critic of Wayne Pivac and how the team has played and on the other side it's not my fault that Wales have been the best northern hemisphere team by far over the last 10-12 years so I don't really understand where the chore part comes in.

They have only been the best northern hemisphere team when comparing matches against other northern hemisphere teams though, which might be your point. Their record against the southern hemisphere teams is worse than England and Ireland at the very least so I would caveat that.

Jesus Christ France, how fucking hard is it to stay in your bubble, everyone just going out for pancakes and watch kids play rugby, I think Scotland being gifted a game if it doesn't go ahead will be a fair punishment.

Great win, only worry is it's Sexton and Murray. That's not a partnership that's going to last that much longer and we really should be starting to see beyond it now. 

Still England have had our number for a while now. But for madness on the opening day we might have been in the mix. 

It's the way they write the rules isnt it. Because the on field call is try the TMO has to see a hand clearly under the ball which is almost impossible without a lucky camera angle. 

Cricket sometimes has the same trouble with catch referrals. 

Gutted. Would have loved to see AWJ gets 4 slams. Great game though. Roll-on France v Scotland but can see France getting the points they need.

edit: Hadn't realised France need a 21 point win.

P.S. France should have forfeited their Scotland game of course ;)

Gutted last night but it was a great game of rugby, Wales just took their foot off the gas and let France back in, nothing is lost yet though France have to score 4 tries and be clear 21 points of Scotland to become champions which is a big ask.

I know there is a game left, and the title is still undecided, but other than Wales it's difficult to imagine any of the other teams will be particularly happy (I'm sure the French will be if they win, but I think they would still be disappointed at not winning the grand slam).

Before the tournament I thought England would lose a couple of games (France + A N Other), this felt like a transitional year and I hope that is how it pans out. The entire tournament feels exactly like 2018 for England, and that turned out pretty well in the end. We'll just have to see how bold Jones is during the next round of tests (i'm assuming there will be some later in the year!?).

There were a couple of factors outside of Jones' control that definitely had an impact (the spine of your team not playing a competitive game for 4 months, new attack coach couldn't join up with the team due to Covid) but other issues that have been all too familiar in his time in charge;

• Lack of discipline
  • Lack of leadership when a game plan is not working
  • Over reliance on heavy ball carriers (Billy Vunipola and Tuilagi effectively, especially a problem when the later is inevitably injured)

I'm also not entirely sure what you do if he goes, do you try and bring in Rob Baxter or bring Stuart Lancaster back (as an aside i'm surprised he wasn't offered the Ireland role, maybe he was, but I reckon he'd do a better job than Farrell). On the upside I think there are a lot of quality players in the premiership at the moment, and while there is no guarantee that will translate to international level, it's better than it's been for a number of years. There are enough quality players to come into the side, along with a few from injury (Tuilagi, Underhill, Nowell), that if Jones can get the mix right there is the bones of a really exciting, powerful side. Whether that fixes some of the longer standing issues or not is another matter though....

A win for Scotland next week would be a good championship just about. But it's just been a typical year, play well at the start and here and there. But then they blow it and win a game that saves us from the bottom. Expectations can't seem to be handled and it's so frustrating as we have some great players who can do great things but it seems to go wrong, like the line out against Ireland.

5 hours ago, phresh said:

I know there is a game left, and the title is still undecided, but other than Wales it's difficult to imagine any of the other teams will be particularly happy (I'm sure the French will be if they win, but I think they would still be disappointed at not winning the grand slam).

Before the tournament I thought England would lose a couple of games (France + A N Other), this felt like a transitional year and I hope that is how it pans out. The entire tournament feels exactly like 2018 for England, and that turned out pretty well in the end. We'll just have to see how bold Jones is during the next round of tests (i'm assuming there will be some later in the year!?).

There were a couple of factors outside of Jones' control that definitely had an impact (the spine of your team not playing a competitive game for 4 months, new attack coach couldn't join up with the team due to Covid) but other issues that have been all too familiar in his time in charge;

• Lack of discipline
  • Lack of leadership when a game plan is not working
  • Over reliance on heavy ball carriers (Billy Vunipola and Tuilagi effectively, especially a problem when the later is inevitably injured)

I'm also not entirely sure what you do if he goes, do you try and bring in Rob Baxter or bring Stuart Lancaster back (as an aside i'm surprised he wasn't offered the Ireland role, maybe he was, but I reckon he'd do a better job than Farrell). On the upside I think there are a lot of quality players in the premiership at the moment, and while there is no guarantee that will translate to international level, it's better than it's been for a number of years. There are enough quality players to come into the side, along with a few from injury (Tuilagi, Underhill, Nowell), that if Jones can get the mix right there is the bones of a really exciting, powerful side. Whether that fixes some of the longer standing issues or not is another matter though....

The Farrell/Ford axis has run its course. 

I think it had probably run it's course by the WC final, and Jones even intimated as much, so god knows why he has stuck to it so rigidly for most games in the past 18 months. Jones has done enough to stay on in my view, his career record as a coach isn't bettered by many and at the very least he should get until the end of the next 6 Nations.