Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Rex Grossman

Man, I thought Leicester were gonna get a hiding last night from Ulster but no! Amazing comeback and into the European Challenge Cup final! They are a bit up and down it's hard to predict what team will appear to be too optimistic.

So, the Lions squad has been announced! Some big surprises, at least for me. No Billy, Jon Davies or Sinkler but places for Johnny Hill, Lawes, Andrew Porter, Bundee Aki and Chris Harris.

Great to see Simonds included. 

Getting excited now, can’t wait for the tour to kick-off.

Yeah, there is a few surprises in there, I had 10 England players down to go, although my list was a bit different to those selected! 

From an English perspective Hill is probably a bit of a surprise, although his form for Exeter has been excellent. Daly is definitely a surprise although I think it's fair to say he only goes because of North's injury and his versatility at covering all backs positions (as well as a hell of a left boot). Maybe a bit surprised at Mako going.

For the players that missed out I think maybe only Sinckler and Underhill i'd consider unlucky (again, from an English perspective). If Tuilagi plays before the end of the season I suspect the three of them will be near the top of the call up list if there are any injuries though.

• 1 month later...

Lions warm-up game against Japan from Murrayfield is on Saturday afternoon, channel 4 at 3pm.

Premiership final is also on, the 2 semi-finals were brilliant games, so hope it's more of the same.

The Bear/Harlequins game was completely bonkers, never seen anything like it.  The other game was pretty good, just completely overshadowed by what came before it.

Not sure the final we be a particularly great game (although who knows) but there is a lot of talent on show, current and future England players as well as a few Lions (4?). I just hope for the latter they make it through unscathed.

Not sure how to feel about the Lions game, if anything i'm probably more interested in seeing Japan :lol: I think it will be more tactically interesting than pure personnel, especially with so many players joining late, and the Exeter contingent missing.

The Quins game was insane, missed most of the first half but listened on the radio in the car and it wasn't sounding great as a Quins fan. Got home and turned on just as Dombrandt was collecting the ball to score Quins' first try. I'm taking full credit for the turnaround!

Can't get excited about the Lions warm-up game, it's all about the Prem Final for me this weekend. 

I'm at the Lions game, well in a hotel right now obv but there Friday and Saturday. I do wonder how they managed to schedule a clash with the PL final in this whole summer, but the first Lions 'home' game in a generation is kinda mad to be involved with and Japan are always interesting. Professionally speaking I worked a bit on both so it's win-win but I can only be at one 'live' and one will have to be catchup. 

Alas my local lads at Ealing got conclusively stomped by Sarries (quelle surprise) so it'll be a while yet before I get paid to be on a game they're in.

That's cool that you'll be there, Murrayfield is an ace stadium, when full anyway. The Lions being in Soith Africa is a bonus as it means the games will be at a reasonable time compared to NZ or Aus.

Alun Wyn Jones out of the tour with a dislocated shoulder, Justin Tippuric also a doubt with a shoulder injury.

Lions looked good in spells, but gave up a lot of penalties.

Yeah, to have it happen in the first 10 minutes of a warm up match, not even in South Africa is really rough. He strikes me as the kind of bloke that would take it on the chin though, and I assume he'll stay in camp as he's obviously a great leader. At least there are a lot of great second row players to pick from so hopefully won't create a massive hole (ability wise at least). A pretty opportunistic performance yesterday but that's not a surprise, first game out was always going to be tough. The next couple of friendlies will be more interesting I think, especially with the rest of the team arriving. Anyone want to take a punt on the starting line up for the first test? I think it will be something close to this;

Wyn Jones - LCD (assuming the concussion doesn't rule him out, then George) - Furlong

Itoje - Henderson

Beirne - Faletau - Curry

Biggar - Murray (assuming so if he's captain, but wasn't sure on this one)

Henshaw - Farrell

Williams - Hogg - Watson

Anyone watch the premiership final as well? Just about one of the best games of rugby i've ever seen, both teams played really well and it was just breathless from start to finish. Seeing both teams turn down penalty after penalty to kick for touch was great as well. Marcus Smith had an incredible game for Harlequins as well, which means Jones will probably leave him out of the summer tests 😐.

Gutted for AWJ too and for Tipuric who I think was going to play an important role on this tour. 

A few games and players to see first but I think Owens will be first choice hooker based on current form and I’m struggling to pick Farrell in the first XV. It could go either way but I wouldn’t be surprised to see Biggar, Aki and Henshaw. 

3 hours ago, phresh said:

Anyone watch the premiership final as well? Just about one of the best games of rugby i've ever seen, both teams played really well and it was just breathless from start to finish. Seeing both teams turn down penalty after penalty to kick for touch was great as well. Marcus Smith had an incredible game for Harlequins as well, which means Jones will probably leave him out of the summer tests 😐.

Unbelievable game, the turnaround in the past 6 months from Quins under Gustard is amazing. Smith is outstanding when playing what's in front of him and has to be called up, just don't want Jones ruining him. 

I think the set piece is going to be so important, especially lineouts, which is where I think both LCD and George edge Owens, but it could go either way. I think Farrell will play for the dual kicking options, for the first game at least. Maybe Aki will play outside him rather than Henshaw, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it change in the second game, win or lose.

4 minutes ago, Sabes said:

Unbelievable game, the turnaround in the past 6 months from Quins under Gustard is amazing. Smith is outstanding when playing what's in front of him and has to be called up, just don't want Jones ruining him. 

I think I was most impressed with the three kicks he banged in from the touchline, two from the 'difficult' side. It's not uncommon for 'creative' fly halves to be weaker kickers but he is outstanding in that department, and considering they only won by two points they were pivotal (compare to Sheedy's poor kicking last week that would have given Bristol an even bigger lead).

i know im late to this, but that premiership final was absolutely amazing. relentless attack from both sides. Really glad to see Quins take it, Marcus Smith was a brilliant attacking talent, people used to rae about George Ford being a fly half that takes the ball up to the game line, but that was just outright swashbuckling bravado from Smith.

A match where the two sides decided to try an out create each other as opposed to caution, waiting for mistakes and knocking over three points. Also as a front row myself, I adore the lunacy of Joe Marler! I may have to bring back my bright red mohawk the next time i go on rugby tour

Aye, he was unstoppable. Some interesting set plays and variety of attacks. Can't wait for the test march, with a crowd hopefully. 

My only gripe was the on-pitch painted ads were really distracting

On 03/07/2021 at 21:30, McFly said:

My only gripe was the on-pitch painted ads were really distracting

Just catching up on highlights and the pitch paint was a digital overlay rather than actually on the grass, so that might explain why. It always has a little bit of uncanny valley for me still.

On one of the lineouts a player went up and just disappeared behind the fake advert, it was weird. Games coming thick and fast now though which is nice.