Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Rex Grossman

48 minutes ago, milko said:

Just catching up on highlights and the pitch paint was a digital overlay rather than actually on the grass, so that might explain why. It always has a little bit of uncanny valley for me still.

That explains it then. Normally they aren't that intrusive as these ones.

England-USA was very disjointed with so many changes, but a good luck at some young talent that will be important at the next World Cup. A real shame for Max Malins to go off early, doubt he will make the Canada match.

Ireland-Japan was closer than many expected, the Japanese played some good off-the-cuff rugby.

Two Lions players and two staff self-isolating, warmup game cancelled

Several cases among the South Africans, their second test against Georgia cancelled

The two wingers, (both Welsh?) have been unstoppable, as much as I want Ven Der Merwe to start, I think it's obvious who should. Russell and Price have to be 9 and 10, Hogg at 15, Faegerson and Watson (who must be nailed on surely?). Not sure about the rest, they're all open so far. The team has been great so far, ii know it's not top tier oppos but not bums either, but the Lions are playing with freedom and flair in almost every position, and it's fantastic.

I think there shouldn't be so many any warm-up games. 2 or 3 at most is enough in the current climate, then test matches consecutive weekends. These guys are gonna need a long break after this tour, maybe until New year in some cases.

Not sure what wingers you mean but I assume Adam’s and Rees Zammit? Or do you mean Liam Williams? If so I’m not sure at all about RZ. I like him but he’s still pretty raw. 

Don’t know about your 9 and 10 either. I’m guessing Gats will go with Murray and Biggar and Farrell at 12 maybe? Henshaw seemed nailed on before the tour started but I’m not certain now and Daly looks good. 

I still think Jonathon Davies would have been a good pick for this squad, he gives you a bit of everything you need from a centre; good distribution, great rugby brain, excellent defence and a nice mix of pace, footwork and power. 

Lawes has looked very impressive. He’s a great athlete and just seems like the proper “lions test animal” that McGeechan talks do much about. Not sure he’s a starter but he covers multiple positions and really brings something as an impact sub.

I'm assuming the number of warm up games is due to there not being any between tests.

I agree with @g wings though, Murray and Biggar at 9/10 and while I think Adams might be playing his way into the team I don't think Rees Zammitt will get the nod (in the first game at least). I think you have to assume that the first game is going to be cagey, and South Africa are going to bombard you with kicks, and on that basis the three who play / can play full back (Hogg, Williams and Watson) might be selected for their quality in the air.

I'm not a 100% sure H.Watson is nailed on, assuming he is competing with Curry (who had a really good game yesterday), but the fact that is even a discussion shows how insane some of the quality in this team is. I wonder if Lawes might get an opportunity in the second row with AWJ out, but I suspect he'll be a sub.

The bench is going to be incredible though!

And of course this is all assuming we actually have test matches :(

What’s the general feeling about this tour in the UK? From here (australia) it all seems very flat and like it’s just quietly happening without much fanfare but they don’t really care about rugby union here.

2 hours ago, g wings said:

Not sure what wingers you mean but I assume Adam’s and Rees Zammit? Or do you mean Liam Williams? If so I’m not sure at all about RZ. I like him but he’s still pretty raw.

Yeah that's who I meant, they just seem to keep scoring so I'd stick with them. I should have been clearer but I tend to type as it comes into my head.

2 hours ago, g wings said:

Don’t know about your 9 and 10 either. I’m guessing Gats will go with Murray and Biggar and Farrell at 12 maybe? Henshaw seemed nailed on before the tour started but I’m not certain now and Daly looks good. 

Russell needs a security blanket with him at centre so he can mess things up occasionally and it not be vital. I much prefer Price over Murray. I could see Farrell at 12, but I think he is behind Russell and Biggar at 10.

Regardless, the team looks great and as @phreshsays the bench is gonna be mental, very little drop off between starting team and bench.

I was dubious about the amount of warm up games, but I think it's gonna be needed to help pick the team.

12 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Feel bad for the argentine full back there getting the red card, i think there's more and more reason to introduce an orange. 

agreed. They ref and third official talked themselves into that one. 

Going to miss tonight's game, which is effectively a 4th test now, really annoyed!

I see that World Rugby are going to trial the 50:22 like they use in League, initially I wasn't really sure but forcing the wingers back to cover should open up the defensive line a bit which is no bad thing. Will be interesting either way. I also quite like that holding the ball up over the line is now going to be a goal line dropout, seems like a good reward for lazy attacking play and great tackles, although it doesn't happen too often anyway.

Hmm, disappointing result and a patchy performance but a few positives. 

Can’t quite see how the team for the 1st test is shaping up. 

I’m guessing:

1-3 front row: Wyn Jones, Owens, Furlong

4-5 Second Row: Itoji

6-8 Back row: Curry, Faletau

I would have Lawes in there somewhere but don’t know if it’s blind side or second row.

Will be interesting to see if AWJ walks straight back in. Surely he can’t? Can he?…

9 Murray

10 Biggar

11 Adams

13 Daly (best player on tour so far)

14 Williams/Watson

15 Watson/Williams

They might pick Watson at 15 and Williams at 14. Watson has looked sharp so far.

Can’t work out if they will pick Farrell. He certainly hasn’t looked great but Gats loves him. 

Aki at 12 if not I guess. But if they pick Farrell at 12 then can they really pick Daly at 13? Going to say it again, Davies would solve this problem ;)

Fitness I think is the issue for AWJ not starting, sub is very possible though.

Very poor performance last night, no spark or flair. Daly and Curry were great, the rest will be worrying for their place I think. Wasn't a knock on at the end, but ref was pretty good I thought.

If Farrell starts it's ridiculous, he hasn't played consistently well.

Daly and Harris at centre, Van Der Merwe, watson on wing with Hogg at 15 (or 10 if needed) Biggar at 10, Price At 9.

Watson and Curry 6 and 7. Toje too. But other forwards are pretty similar.

I wondered about the watson/curry thing. I can't see them both starting, need more physicality in a blind side. 

I don't rate Harris and can see Hogg being left out. Or maybe Liam Williams on the bench? He's too good not to be involved though I think.