IGNORED

Rugby thread (6 Nations, Heineken Cup etc)

Rex Grossman

Not sure the Lions game today will have much of an impact on next Saturdays game, but there are going to be some really good players on the bench or not selected either way. I'm leaning towards the following;

Wyn Jones / Cowan Dickie / Furlong

Itoje / Wyn Jones

Lawes / Faletau / Curry

Murry / Biggar / Farrell / Daly

Watson / Hogg / Van De Merwe

That gives you three excellent lineout jumpers and a pretty powerful pack. I think Daly has played himself into a starting position, not sure if Farrell will be picked though, it's a shame none of the other options have really shone and is probably one of the weaker positions in the squad. The wings/fullback could go completely differently, although I think Van Merwe has shown enough to start and Watson will get picked for his ability to get over the gainline. Not 100% on Hogg, Watson could move back and Adams come in on the wing, is Liam Williams injured/isolating?

First test will be a belter though and there will be some insane quality in the subs.

I would have Henderson over Farrell. A few reasons: 1. I can’t stand Farrell ;) 2. Henderson’s defence 3. Erasmus has put the spotlight on Farrell’s trackless technique yet again, yellow/red card waiting to happen.

I also can’t see Adam’s not starting. Williams is going through head injury protocols but assuming he’s back I would choose Adams, Watson and Williams. Much more dependable IMO.

I don't think Henshaw is completely fit, he wasn't great yesterday and I suspect Daly will play at 13. Could go either way though, Harris hasn't played badly either, maybe Aki comes in? Farrell's tackling has been fine this year so I don't think that is going to be an issue at all.

I think it will be harsh on Adams to be left out but Van De Merwe and Watson are both better at getting over the gainline against tight defences which just edges it for me. I agree you could easily swap out Hogg for Williams if the latter is fit though.

11 hours ago, g wings said:

I would have Henderson over Farrell. A few reasons: 1. I can’t stand Farrell ;) 2. Henderson’s defence 3. Erasmus has put the spotlight on Farrell’s trackless technique yet again, yellow/red card waiting to happen.

I also can’t see Adam’s not starting. Williams is going through head injury protocols but assuming he’s back I would choose Adams, Watson and Williams. Much more dependable IMO.

I can see them starting with Henderson/Daly and then switching Farrell in.

Marcus Smith looked very accomplished yesterday, he has a real opportunity.

43 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Wyn Jones/ Cowan Dickie/ Furlong

Jones/ Itoje

Watson/ Faletau/ Curry

Murray/ Biggar/ Henshaw/ Daly

Van De Merwe/ Willams/ Adams

That's what my best guess is for next week. 

Swap in Price and Hogg and I'd be happy, but it's a good line up. I'd also take Henderson over Farrell, if need be.

2 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

Wyn Jones/ Cowan Dickie/ Furlong

Jones/ Itoje

Watson/ Faletau/ Curry

Murray/ Biggar/ Henshaw/ Daly

Van De Merwe/ Willams/ Adams

That's what my best guess is for next week. 

I can’t believe Watson won’t start somewhere in the back three. I like VdM but his defence hasn’t looked great. 

And I can’t see him putting curry and Hamish Watson in the back row, Surely he will want the grunt of Beirne or Lawes. 

I also wonder what happens at 9. Price has outshone Murray but will they be willing to dump him?

Jones/ Cowan Dickie/ Furlong

Jones/ Itoje

Beirne/ Faletau/ Curry

Murray/ Biggar

Henshaw/ Daly

Adams/ Williams/ Watson

The team has been confirmed, a few surprises (at least for me). I suppose Conan shouldn’t be a surprise given his stats. But no Adams or Williams does surprise me:

W Jones, Cowan-Dickie, Furlong

Itoje, AW Jones

Lawes, Curry, Conan

Price, Biggar

Henshaw, Daly

Van Der Merwe, Hogg, Watson

Wasn't too far off, Henshaw, Price & Conan in for Farrell, Murray & Faletau, although two of those are on the bench. Feel for some of the backs who won't get a game with the ridiculous splits on the bench (although 5:3 isn't bad).

The backs clearly look like they have been picked for versatility, with it presumably being a straight contest between VdM and Adams, considering Watson, Daly and Williams can all cover full back, Daly and Williams wing, and Hogg even at fly-half at a push. Still rough for Adams though, although I have no doubt he'll get a chance.

No real surprises in the pack for me, only that Faletau missed out entirely, but his form hasn't been great versus Conan.

Garland talking about Adams’ omission:

“when it came to the wingers, it was probably an easy out for us, really – and I'm not saying that lightly, but he did have an emotional week and then on the Saturday, with the emotion and stuff and a couple of knocks he took in the game, he was reasonably quiet in that game as well.

"We looked at it and that was possibly the deciding factor.

Wyn Jones is out with an injury, Rory Sutherland is taking his place. Gutted for him especially after his immense scrummaging against South Africa-A team.

Only leaves 2 Welshmen in the team, interesting given their 6 nations success. 

1 hour ago, the_debaser said:

Farrell got away with that there, only for a minimal knock on earlier that would’ve been a try because of him. 

He’s an absolute liability. Can’t be played in any other game. 

Kicked the ball from hand poorly too but nailed the 3pts when needed. 

Much better tempo and disciine in 2nd half but we're lucky at times. Lions did well to win, yay.

That was a bit nervy wasn’t it! ;)

I thought Lawes, Furlong and Itoje were all excellent. Some great impact off the bench too. 

Well done boys, the next one will be even tougher I’m sure and I reckon there will be some changes. 

It's been a a hard 18 months/2 years but that is genuinely one of my best days out ever with my friends in my life. The pic I took of them in front of the mural that they didn't even know was there until after the pic was done is bringing tears to my eyes. 

IMG-20210725-WA0003.jpg

Screenshot_20210725-003012_WhatsApp.jpg

First half was a tough watch, but as soon as the Lions gained parity in the scrum and the aerial battle tilted towards the Lions they looked in the driving seat. Some outstanding performances (Itoje, Jones, Lawes), and thought a couple of the unexpected starts, like Ali Price, did really well.

Be interesting to see what changes Gatland makes, I don't think there will be loads, probably in the centers, and Wyn Jones coming in if he is fit.