IGNORED

Games that you so wanted

Asura

We've all been there, standing in front of the new, brand-spanking machine at our local arcade, pumping pound coins into the slot, perhaps even visiting weekend after weekend, waiting for the eventual day we could play that brilliant arcade title in our own home.

Unfortuantely, of course, there have been times that we never got to do that. For every Virtua Fighter 2, Crazy Taxi and Time Crisis, there has been a Scud Race, a GunBlade, and Dirt Dash.

Then, there have also been those games we lamented once we got them at home - either because their conversion was poor, or because it could have never been perfect to the arcade - I speak of the likes of Silent Scope or Manx TT, with elaborate cabinet designs that would never be possible in a home setting, short of a lottery win.

So, forum - what games have you yearned to play in your living room, always condemned to forever exchange discs of precious metal for just "one more go"?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For me, Scud Race actually rates quite highly. As it came out in that in-between period, when Sega had started to ditch the Saturn, but had not yet released the Dreamcast, it fell through the cracks in their usual arcade conversion pipeline. I've often wondered if it was actually a bit shallow, and my young mind made it seem better than it was (a theory that garnered more weight in the aftermath of the release of the Turtles game on XBLA). There's also my general opinion that Arcade Racing Games age worst of any genre in the gaming pantheon - but that's just how I see it.

Another is Silent Scope. I was a master at this game in the arcades - it was one of the few machines I've ever really spent too much money on, and I play on it every time I happen to run across it, purely because it just can't be done at home. I know there was an Xbox gun that tried, but it just wasn't "right" without that screen in the faux-telescopic sight.

Prop Cycle by Namco.

It was an odd sort of Pilot Wings game which looked unconvertable without the exercise bike attached to it.

I loved it. Even played it on my buck's night despite looking a right tool, an overweight middle aged man peddling like mad. Like I could give a toss.

You could almost feel the wind in your hair. (Probably because the cabinet had little fans that would activate if you went into a steep dive.)

House of the Dead. They just wont convert the bloody thing properly.

The Wii would be perfect for this. I believe HotD is already in the works but with the number of light gun games Sega have arcade cabs for (Virtua Cop comes to mind as the best) you would think they would make more of an effort with the Wii to release it's back catalogue.

Brilliant, the first two replies are what I would have said before I read them!

Yes, GTI club I thought was amazing fun. I'd love to play it again. It just seemed so right for the arcade, esp. with 2 player. But would it work at home? It would need more tracks, more cars... would that just kill the fun?

And Prop Cycle (I didn't know that was what it was called) fascinated me the one time I saw it in an arcade in the States. I'd LOVE to see a home version of that.

Prop Cycle by Namco.

It was an odd sort of Pilot Wings game which looked unconvertable without the exercise bike attached to it.

I loved it. Even played it on my buck's night despite looking a right tool, an overweight middle aged man peddling like mad. Like I could give a toss.

You could almost feel the wind in your hair. (Probably because the cabinet had little fans that would activate if you went into a steep dive.)

Is there not a nearly complete version of this for the Dreamcast knocking about somewhere, cant see it been any good but would be good to see it in action, and you could use the new PC system that has fans with it (forget what its called)

The System 32 games from Sega, great reasons to own a supergun/cabinet Golden Axe Revenge of Death Addder and Spiderman the videogame.

XBLA finaly delivered Ninja Turtles, but Konami being the worst offender of no home ports still leave, Thrill Drive, The Simpsons, Aliens and GTI Club in the arcade.

Line of fire, a good Port of G-LOC, Virtua Cop 3, Rave Racer and how about a good port of the original Shinobi and Shadow Dancer.

The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy and Sega Sonic the Hedgehog come to mind. Although admittedly the latter's crap, I can't resist games that use trackballs. I guess Edward Randy would've been too much for the home consoles of the time, unless it was severely cut down in terms of all the big sprites scrolling and scaling about.

Is there not a nearly complete version of this for the Dreamcast knocking about somewhere, cant see it been any good but would be good to see it in action, and you could use the new PC system that has fans with it (forget what its called)

I think that's Propeller Arena you're talking about for the DC which is a different game.

Heh, when I read the thread title the first game that popped into my head was Scud Race. A few years ago I didn't mind because it was still fairly new and it'd be a job to convert it, but surely today's machines can handle a conversion now. Even Outrun 2 let you unlock a course based on a Scud Race track (and you could even use your F40 for extra authenticity :D ), but anyway... I know that Model 3 emulation's fairly pointless at present because you need a monster of a PC to get a vaguely playable framerate out of it, but there should be no reason why we can't see it on the 360 or PS3 today...

Oh, and Lucky 'n' Wild. I know that Starsky and Hutch does a fairly good job of capturing the L&W feel already, but even so...

Maybe since Rock Band has pushed the boundaries with regards to the amount of peripherals you can get away with sticking in a single game box, a hypothetical L 'n' W release would result in a generous offering of lightguns and steering wheel available straight out of the box. I can dream, can't I? :)

There was an X-Men arcade machine I used to enjoy when I were a wee sprog down the cloudy piers of Western Super-Mare. It was sexy. Not terribly brilliant and I was just a youngling so I remember being awful at it but it was nice and shiny.

It did, however, prompt me (or, rather, my overly-generous folks) to buy the Mega Drive game. Wow. What a surprise.