Anyone like to share how they play big slick?

Eg from last night:

Early on in 6 handed $25 cash table (no reads on any players yet)

I have AKo in BB.

Middle position raiser bets pot.

I reraise (bout $3)

He reraises to $9

I call.

Flop comes Q rag rag

I check

He bets about pot.

I fold.

When he reraised to $9, I assumed AA, KK, QQ or AK.

Should I even have called? Or would some of you push (both $25 stacks) ?

Read dependent but I'd more than likely be putting this down preflop for full stacks given the action. Occasionally I'll push versus certain players and certainly if someone has less than half a stack it's all going in immediately.

Read dependent but I'd more than likely be putting this down preflop for full stacks given the action. Occasionally I'll push versus certain players and certainly if someone has less than half a stack it's all going in immediately.

Yeah, this. At this level, people aren't really 4-betting with JJ or AQ. If the effective stacks are shallow, though, I put it all in, and not feel bad about it, whatever the outcome.

I would have played this the exact same way as you jjjjjames (although I might have fired out a cont bet of about 2/3rd pot as you were first to act, and then just check/fold if this is called) and I have a big problem with AK.

I am barely profitable according to PokerTracker and I have had big slick (suited and unsuited combined) a total of 132 times so something is going wrong for me.

EDIT: misunderstood replies.

So AK is generally a fold to a 3bet? I always call 3bets (depending on size) hoping to hit the flop.

How do you act on the flop when you miss if first to act/last to act?

So what happens when you call the $9, then bet out another $6? You've invested 2/3rds of your stack with (what you hope) is 2 overcards and no draw. He puts you all in and you're practically obliged to call given what you've put in thusfar. There's no way someone playing 25NL is laying down anything on that board, and at best you're looking at 6 outs. Sometimes discretion, and laying down the big hand preflop, is the better part of valour.

Anyway, I often call 3 bets myself with AK, as long as the stacks are looking good. I certainly do (or reraise again) when in a blind war. And in answer to your last question, it all depends on who I'm playing. Someone who you know is a fish and/or calling station I'd sometimes check to given many would stack off with top pair no kicker, let alone anything else, other more aggressive players I lead out and, if raised or called, I shut down.

• 2 weeks later...

I lost a large chunk of my stack and finally got knocked out last week by AK and was eliminated this week going all in pre flop with AK. The first thing I thought of was this thread when it happened.

EDIT: I got 5, yes 5, AK last night in about 2 hours of play and not a single one of them won me the hand! Useless! :)