APB / PC

Vin

I watched the last couple video podcasts today and there's some great footage. The bit where the players are called in as back-up, only to arrive at a massive shoot-out in the middle of a street is fantastic. If you factor in all the notoriety elements you could end up with epic face-offs between characters famous (or infamous) throughout the entire server.

I'm dead jealous of Morrius and the rest of you who got in, even though I'm sure my PC wouldn't be able to run it. Between this and The Old Republic I'm going to need a nice expensive upgrade :lol:

Aye, NDA makes things a bit awkward - it works on my machine, which was my main worry, though I found it very unstable - dropped out twice when costuming my character - which, y'know, shocked me. I mean, an unstable beta!? Who ever heard of such a thing? :angry:

Seemed stable for me, although really jerky due to my weak and shitty graphics card <_< Unplayable really. Gah.

Was going to replace my card next Monday with a decent ish one, but with Borderlands out on Friday (and cash being a problem at the mo) it may screw up my chances to play at all .. :angry:

Time to look for some trade ins I guess.

Seemed stable for me, although really jerky due to my weak and shitty graphics card <_< Unplayable really. Gah.

Was going to replace my card next Monday with a decent ish one, but with Borderlands out on Friday (and cash being a problem at the mo) it may screw up my chances to play at all .. :angry:

Time to look for some trade ins I guess.

What are your specs?

There are many that would like it, probably!

If Borderlands sucks up my soul (as I think it might) and I cant get hold of a card, then it would be a bit of a waste. Pity as the NDA doesnt allow transfer of accounts or anything and I am always a stickler for the rules.

Next play is up for Tues night, isnt it? Ill try to get my hands on a better GFX card by then. If I cant then I guess Ill be stuck upgrading my shizzle in Borderlands while all you lucky sods are "showing the rozzers who is boss".

Managed all that without the slightest hint of a winky :angry:

Shit, fell at the last fence!

I watched the last couple video podcasts today and there's some great footage. The bit where the players are called in as back-up, only to arrive at a massive shoot-out in the middle of a street is fantastic.

Which video podcast is this one? I've been looking at the official APB channel on Youtube and it strikes me that maybe, just maybe .... they're not getting the traffic they might have wanted for all this about-the-office-and-town filming and video production.

Guess it doesn't help that they're trying to be funny but generally aren't succeeding.

They should throw Rab & Ryan some contract work, unless that is those two completely pissed on their chips after that Scottish Enterprise doc they made.

Which video podcast is this one? I've been looking at the official APB channel on Youtube and it strikes me that maybe, just maybe .... they're not getting the traffic they might have wanted for all this about-the-office-and-town filming and video production.

This one: APB Video Podcast 12

I think a big problem the game has is that when people think of MMO games they think of World of Warcraft. I've spoken to people who instinctually don't like APB because of stuff related to WoW, stuff that isn't related to APB in any way. Even when I've explained that APB has more in common with GTA than WoW they still can't see past that MMO tag. It's infuriating. It's like listening to people saying they can't possibly like COD deathmatch because they hate multiplayer Mario Party.

Obviously it's too early to tell if APB will be good or not, but I appreciate what Realtime Worlds are trying to do. I love that they're trying to move these epic player-led situations that you can't get outside of high level MMORPG gameplay and make them accessible to a new audience of players in a fast-paced action game. Video games are always being criticised for their stories, but it's the stories we make ourselves that are the ones we remember and tell each other. I like that a respected company that could have rested on their laurels and made Crackdown 2 - and nobody would have complained if they'd done so - are trying to make a game that's entirely based upon these stories, these unpredictable player interactions. Imagine Three Leaf Clover from GTA4, only every criminal and every cop is a player character. That's pretty damned exciting, but with the notoriety and matchmaking systems there's nothing stopping you from having a load of player cops against one ninja bank thief, or a load of criminals fighting one Dirty Harry-esque supercop. And you're jamming the bank notes into swag bag when you see this notorious figure turn up, and maybe at first you're scared because you know this guy, you've seen him on the leaderboards and heard about him on the in-game news. But there are four of you, right? Surely you can take this one cop down, no matter how good he is.

If the game can deliver that, and deliver it on a regular basis, it could be the thing legends are made of.

I tried the beta the other night, it seemed like Playstation home with more haircuts. Where's the shooting?

i saw random messeges saying the guns are available in your mail box, but i couldnt find my mail box lol

i had fun as a crim just going round gunning down any enforcers i saw

I just checked my email, and apparently I got a beta invite.

However, I don't really have any intention of playing this. Does anyone want my key (assuming I can give it away like that)?

i'll doo it if noone else has asked!

EDIT: NoooooOOOooo.... Has anyone else got a spare/unwanted beta invites?

• 4 months later...