IGNORED

Is Xbox 360 Past Its Peak?

Sng

Apologies I was talking generally.

The fact of the matter is 360's attach rate shames the other two so it's the no-brainer choice for software developers and that applies to the software we'll see for the next year or two - until the ps3 becomes a more attractive (in terms of installed base/available sales) and easy-to-develop-on machine it's not going to get the juicy stuff.

And the wii well it's away out on its own - mostly shitty software (which can still shift due to the wii's unique demographic - I witnessed the darts game flying out of Game the other week and apparently it's complete wank) with a sprinkling of Capcom/Nintendo/etc gems in amongst.

Software on the console isn't going to dry up like the xbox at all. As mentioned a previous sony exclusive like devil may cry has been selling great on the 360 in western countries to show that previous non xbox titles can work and sell safely on the console. Its also leading on previous sony dominated genres like RPG's.

The PS3 star year may be coming (MGS4 + ff13 = Jizz) but the 360 certainly won't be lacking either with Fable, Ninja Gaiden, Gears 2, Alan Wake etc. If software is selling well, then will ms have any reason to pull the plug early to move on? I mean the reason for the xbox was to beat Sony to the start to this gen wasn't it?

Brand new stuff like XNA proves that a new phase of the console is just starting, not ending.

Just once I'd love to see somebody post this AND quantify it.

It's a mystic meg criticism. The PS3 and 360 share the same types and genres of games right now with minimal differences, but because of last gen, people expect, possibly rightly so, that the 360 will have shot its load of "non shooters/racers" and the PS3 will be hitting its stride after a very rocky start to win back support.

Right now though, the wii is the only diverse console of the three, but it also means it also has the highest quantity of rubbish game to great game too. Theres so many of the former it's silly.

If software is selling well, then will ms have any reason to pull the plug early to move on? I mean the reason for the xbox was to beat Sony to the start to this gen wasn't it?
I can't see them doing that again. They got a year head start on Sony by doing this with the 360, but delivered an unfinshed console which must have cost them a fortune in replacements and repairs by now.

Also PS3 is only just starting to get into it's stride. There would be no benefit in releasing another xbox for a good few years. I can't see another console from MS til 2011 earliest.

I agree. It's so hit and miss buying a 360. Unless you know which serial nos to look for, there's no knowing whether you'll get a good or a bad drive, a loud or a quiet one.

It's the reason all my multiformat stuff in future will be bought on PS3.

It pisses me off thinking I'm not getting the same quality experience playing Mass Effect as someone else who happens to have, through sheer luck, a more reliable Xbox than me, even though I only bought mine last year.

I agree. It's so hit and miss buying a 360. Unless you know which serial nos to look for, there's no knowing whether you'll get a good or a bad drive, a loud or a quiet one.

It's the reason all my multiformat stuff in future will be bought on PS3.

It pisses me off thinking I'm not getting the same quality experience playing Mass Effect as someone else who happens to have, through sheer luck, a more reliable Xbox than me, even though I only bought mine last year.

Its oppostie for me all third party games on 360 as i have no friends even remotely interested in ps3.

I think it has. The 360 has been the best software wise for a few years but it just hasn't pushed on and really expanded its library.

For those of us that don't like Gears of War there doesn't seem to be a great deal on the way. The games being touted, like Fable 2 and Resi 5, are a long way off and anything could happen with them. Similarly, the release date for Alan Wake is currently 'When it's done', who knows when that will arrive.

Part of the problem, for me, is that CoD4 on Live is brilliant. I don't need another FPS game, as I don't tend to play them single-player. That means that quite a large chunk of the upcoming releases are of no interest to me. Chuck in the fact that I can't stand 'serious' racing games and there's very little there.

Other than GTA, of course :(

I have found myself increasingly tempted to get a Wii for the likes of Galaxy and the likes of Wii Sports.

My useless anecdotal evidence is that it's quite hard to persuade colleagues who don't already have a 360 to get one of them instead of a PS3. Their perception is that the set of games are broadly equivalent, the 360 is unreliable, they liked their PS2, and that Blu-Ray has just won the war, so they might as well get a PS3 instead.

So while clearly there's plenty still coming for existing 360 owners, I think MS are going to have an uphill struggle to break through to new people this year. I think a lot will depend on pricing at GTA time and at Xmas.

The 360 may be better for games, but many of the cognoscenti who know that already have one.

I'm with Graham_S. I've played some great games on the 360 - CoD4 and Halo 3 last year were astounding. However, I think to punters it no longer feels as fresh as the PS3. The PS3 has had a slow start but I think it's still seen as the 'new' console.

GTA is going to be the big one.

The 360 reinvigorated my enthusiasm for gaming, but the whole playing online aspect was new to me when I bought it, I don't think it's going anywhere for a wee while yet. The PS3 I'm still interested in but at the moment it's too expensive with not enough games.

I don't think it's past its peak, but the short term doesn't paint a pretty picture. As ever, it's a lack of variety in the software library that's the cause for despair, and it's not going to change any time soon.

The two games I'm really looking forward to this year aren't even coming out on 360. Persona 3 and Odin Sphere wouldn't stand a chance of making it onto 360, because Japanese support only extends as far as games with a proven track record in the west (Devil May Cry, Ridge Racer) and games made with a western audience in mind (Lost Planet, Dead Rising). As for Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, they're good will, bought and paid for - and as far as I'm concerned, neither game warrants the kind of good will Microsoft wants and needs from Japan. It's a pretty dire situation, one they won't turn around anytime soon (if ever).

The second problem is Microsoft's long-term gameplan. Whether it's the prohibitive cost of development or just the prevailing trend in the industry, sequels, ports and remakes are the norm, for now: but more than just wheeling out sequels to existing franchises with clockwork precision (using the success of previous iterations to gauge the interest in a sequel, as you do) they're pre-empting the entire process by conceiving both Mass Effect and Too Human as trilogies. Ballsy? Cowardly, more like.

Denis Dyack is on record as saying the second part in the Too Human series could show up within a year of the first game, which brings me to my chief concern with the trilogy thang: what kind of timeframe does that kind of turnaround allow for the kind of improvements we'd usually expect from an actual sequel? And does that mean that the only reason for us to indulge them is so we can see the narrative threads they leave dangling be resolved? It smacks of a cheap-ass, play-it-safe publishing model beyond any reasonable need, one I fully expect to be met with a marketing budget that all but guarantees they both turn a profit.

XBLA is getting dangerously close to sucking my balls, too. Amidst a sea of ports and remakes, originality's as good as dead, and in the current climate, Microsoft needs everything they can get their hands on to supplement their shabby-looking retail release schedule. It's hard to imagine the service bearing any significant fruit when the release schedule for it must consist largely of games we've known about for over a year, none of which inspires the kind of confidence in the service MS wants right now. XNA? Yeah, put the wannabes to work, why don't you?

But without knowing how long MS plan to keep the 360 in play, there's no way of knowing whether it's past its peak. If 3 years down the line, they call it a day, then we'll all have had cause to talk about this, here and now - but if it's got a lifespan comparable to a console that wasn't previously made by them (and I think it does), we've got at least some reason to be optimistic.

In any event, there's still plenty to come that's worth playing - just don't expect too many surprises in the short term, is all.

I don't think consoles ever really go past their peak. Better and better (looking) games get released throughout the life cycle until the next generation come along, and then they suddenly stop. Why would games get worse again?

They don't get worse, they just suffer from diminishing returns. The third iteration of the same game on the same platform is usually the limit (if we're talking about technically complex games with 2+ year development cycles).

But claiming the entire platform is finished, just weeks after one of the strongest periods for software releases in any console's history smacks to me of some agenda we're not party to. I'd expect better journalism from EDGE to be honest, and I'd like them to be completely open and honest to their readers in terms of how their magazine is currently being funded and whether all the content in that magazine is genuinely impartial.

The devious agenda of selling mags with provocative headlines.

EDGE if mainly funded by recruitment ads, just fyi. It's hilarious how self-righteous the above makes you sound.

Edge ask Shane Kim for interview, Kim pulls out shortly beforehand, Edge disgruntled, write silly article.

Man, is there nothing Shane Kim won't cancel?

My useless anecdotal evidence is that it's quite hard to persuade colleagues who don't already have a 360 to get one of them instead of a PS3. Their perception is that the set of games are broadly equivalent, the 360 is unreliable, they liked their PS2, and that Blu-Ray has just won the war, so they might as well get a PS3 instead.

So while clearly there's plenty still coming for existing 360 owners, I think MS are going to have an uphill struggle to break through to new people this year. I think a lot will depend on pricing at GTA time and at Xmas.

The 360 may be better for games, but many of the cognoscenti who know that already have one.

This is what I have experienced too. "They" just don't want to know when I mention a 360.

For me the way MS dropped the XBox so quickly is making me wary of buying one 2 and a half years-ish after launch. That and the shitty build quality.

I thought it was common knowledge that Edge was fat on Sony bribes, and has been for the last year or so. I'm not surprised they're spreading 360 FUD.

I can't think of a reason the 360 might be past its peak, other than some vague theory that developer support will completely evaporate now that Bluray has 'won' and thus everyone will be buying PS3s.

If you're being serious, you really are a total bellend.

There is still plenty of life in it, even if it is no longer in its prime.

I couldn't give a monkeys about the latest driving simulator or 'run&gun' and I'm still finding lots of titles both current and forthcoming that are appealing to me.

I've joined the 360 party a little late to be fair, only had it for about 3 months. After being a PS1&2 fan previously, I thought Europe (or UK even) got a raw deal when PS3 came out so I stuck my middle finger up at them and went across to the dark side of Microsoft - but even now I could not afford a PS3, there are no titles I am going to miss by not getting one (with the exception of MGS4 ) - nor would I want to support Sony again.

It's good, right and proper that Microsoft now has Sony snapping at their heels. Sony would appear to be riding high on a tide of promises and potential at the moment, the same tide they've been attempting create since launch. Fortunately for them, the Tsunami caused by the collapse of HDDVD was impetus enough to wash away some of the smaller outbuildings on the 360 coastline, and may inspire Microsoft to rethink their sea defence strategy.

And I think that'll do right there with the ridiculous tidal analogy nonsense, you'll be pleased to know.

The marketplace needs more than one major player in the arena to benefit the consumer by spurring each other on to better and brighter things. And to ensure the ridiculous and nauseating arrogance that dominant console manufacturers all too readily aquire is prevented from ever returning.

Sony, again, appear to be a more humble entity closer to their beginnings in the PS1 era when faced with Nintendo's overbearing arrogance. A sea-change in attitude to the ridiculous posturing, disdain for their customers and embarrassing superiority complex shown prior to and immediately after the PS3's launch.

More importantly - despite the fact I think the 360 is a fantastic games machine - is that Microsoft are prevented from ever holding a position of overwhelming dominance in the games console world. With their surprisingly transparent desire to voraciously milk their audience of every available penny like a rabid 1970's Labour government Chancellor of the Exchequer, an omnipotent Microsoft would spell naught but poverty for the avid games fan.

Ultimately, it's good for all of us that Sony appear to be catching up, but it's equally important that they don't end up leaving Microsoft in the dust. For, in the absence of war, clearly it's competition that's the mother of invention.

After being a PS1&2 fan previously, I thought Europe (or UK even) got a raw deal when PS3 came out so I stuck my middle finger up at them and went across to the dark side of Microsoft - but even now I could not afford a PS3, there are no titles I am going to miss by not getting one (with the exception of MGS4 ) - nor would I want to support Sony again.

You are me.

I was even arguing for Soong when I first registered!

Sony, again, appear to be a more humble entity closer to their beginnings in the PS1 era when faced with Nintendo's overbearing arrogance. A sea-change in attitude to the ridiculous posturing, disdain for their customers and embarrassing superiority complex shown prior to and immediately after the PS3's launch.

I have a bit of a problem with that analogy.

The wii isn't the n64, and the 360 isn't the saturn. they're not even vague equivalents.

It's good, right and proper that Microsoft now has Sony snapping at their heels. Sony would appear to be riding high on a tide of promises and potential at the moment, the same tide they've been attempting create since launch. Fortunately for them, the Tsunami caused by the collapse of HDDVD was impetus enough to wash away some of the smaller outbuildings on the 360 coastline, and may inspire Microsoft to rethink their sea defence strategy.

And I think that'll do right there with the ridiculous tidal analogy nonsense, you'll be pleased to know.

The marketplace needs more than one major player in the arena to benefit the consumer by spurring each other on to better and brighter things. And to ensure the ridiculous and nauseating arrogance that dominant console manufacturers all too readily aquire is prevented from ever returning.

More importantly - despite the fact I think the 360 is a fantastic games machine - is that Microsoft are prevented from ever holding a position of overwhelming dominance in the games console world. With their surprisingly transparent desire to voraciously milk their audience of every available penny like a rabid 1970's Labour government Chancellor of the Exchequer, an omnipotent Microsoft would spell naught but poverty for the avid games fan.

Ultimately, it's good for all of us that Sony appear to be catching up, but it's equally important that they don't end up leaving Microsoft in the dust. For, in the absence of war, clearly it's competition that's the mother of invention.

A lovely read, even if you are stating the patently obvious.

I thought the article was an interesting read but again like already mentioned a bit of guesswork right? I think the PS3 will outlive the 360, but 360 has the stronger line up and the back catalogue of games.

A console peaking is entirely subjective anyway, some people might see the peak of the SNES when Super SFII HP was released, whereas others may think it was when Chrono Trigger was released or maybe even further along the timeline when Yoshi's Island was released. Not even mentioned the Super FX chip.

If Halo 3 is the defining game for one person then maybe the 360 has peaked, but for everyone else who is looking forward to the games coming this year and the games that have yet to be announced..or even to be dreamt up the peak is not going to be reached for some time. The same goes for PS3 too, personally I think that MGS4 is the only thing I am really looking forward to on PS3, but I am sure there will be plenty more on the way in the future.