What can we do to save PC gaming?

LewieP

Which is more down to hugely inflated development budgets requiring early releases. That's not really specific to the hardware, just to the publishers who can demand stuff gets released as you can always patch it later. Only then when it gets patched nobody cares, because it was too shit to pay full price for in the first place.

All this is is a poorly managed market. There's no technical basis to anything anyone's said, it's just overfed publishers treating an evolving industry the way it always has done.

That is one of the reasons, yes. Still, development costs have risen for console developers too. Yet the quality testing there is much better, even with the new found ability of patching. Publishers who publish on the PC just don't give a shit any more about the quality of most of the games they release on the format. They are not bothered as they used to be. And why should they? Releasing a game in a console makes much more sense these days.

Either way, of course it is not down to the hardware. How could it be? It's people who use the hardware, it's their fault. And as I said before, WoW's success scares away even publishers who want to publish single player games. A market that can produce a game to such a monopolizing effect is not a healthy market at all.

I bought a 360 around Christmas time, probably only had about 5 hours of use out of it and that was SF2 but I have 6 games at the moment. I have just renewed my gold membership and lately have started playing a bit more Battlefield.

The 360 and consoles have some good stuff out for them but I use the PC far more for the following reasons...

1. Much better graphics, even on a HD TV the 360 simply cannot match a PC for graphical sharpness and clarity with jaggy graphics and low quality textures. Play oblivion on 360 and then on PC.

2. Keyboard and Mouse and 360 controller support, joypad doesnt really work on C+C etc

3. FREE mods and expansions some by fans not just the game creator none of this X-Box marketplace where you pay to download a wallpaper for dashboard stuff either.

4. MSN while gaming without the wait 5 seconds while I switch over thing.

5. Mostly free online gaming apart from mmorpgs where you can choose a server not get chucked on one.

6. Multitasking, watching youtube vids etc whilst gaming.

7. Steam, yes steam started off fairly unliked but you can buy full games and keep them up to date through the interface, the 360 hasnt got the disk space for anything really big (not the standard ones anyway).

Sure the PC costs more than a 360 but then again the games tend to cost less with PC's and games tend to have more community. Swings and roundabouts!, 360 gaming has its place but I believe the rewards are there if your willing to put in a bit of effort with PC gaming.

Now there's mostly shit, buggy shit compared to the past, with a few exceptions here and there of course.

^_^

And as I said before, WoW's success scares away even publishers who want to publish single player games. A market that can produce a game to such a monopolizing effect is not a healthy market at all.

Who are these developers who are being scared away by WoW? How have you made the leap from WoW having a majority share of the MMO market, to having a "monopolizing effect" on the format in general? You're talking rubbish.

^_^

Who are these developers who are being scared away by WoW? How have you made the leap from WoW having a majority share of the MMO market, to having a "monopolizing effect" on the format in general? You're talking rubbish.

Then where the hell are the games? And most importantly, where the hell are the sales?

You are really a blind one, aren't you?

Then where the hell are the games? And most importantly, where the hell are the sales?

Are there less games being produced and less sales made now as compared to before November 2004?

I'd genuinely like to see WoW's effects on PC gaming.

(@TSH)

So you can't answer the question, thought so.

Where are the games? Why not look at rockpapershotgun for five seconds, or fire up steam? You'll see lots of exclusives across several genres (no, not just RTS and MMO games) as well as identical or better versions of most of the major third party 360/PS3 games of the last two years of course.

But that would be too difficult and might challenge your inane bigotted viewpoint I guess.

Are there less games being produced and less sales made now as compared to before November 2004?

There must be some worrying signs for those in the know about PC gaming, otherwise why would there need to be initatives like Games for Windows and the recently announced PC Gaming Alliance? Even in the heart of the European PC gaming scene, Germany, people are starting to worry about the situation.

In terms of statistics, only the US has easily available numbers (though people argue about the whole online distribution not being counted factor).

PC sales have been dropping at US retail since 2004, while console gaming continues to grow every year.

There must be some worrying signs for those in the know about PC gaming, otherwise why would there need to be initatives like Games for Windows and the recently announced PC Gaming Alliance? Even in the heart of the European PC gaming scene, Germany, people are starting to worry about the situation.

In terms of statistics, only the US has easily available numbers (though people argue about the whole online distribution not being counted factor).

PC sales have been dropping at US retail since 2004, while console gaming continues to grow every year.

The PCGA site has a presentation here: http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/en/documen...resentation.pdf that includes some interesting statistics on US gaming habits, that include revenue from online sales. I was at the event where they announced the alliance. The remarkable stat, I think, is that 30% of all revenue from gaming comes via the PC - that's more than the 360, and PS3 combined.

To be quite honest, WoW was my PC gaming swan song. I've moved back onto consoles as I find it easier to manage my playing time if I don't have to adhere to a social/gaming calendar. It wasn't the game of WoW itself that led to the demise of my PC gaming, I imagine the same effect would have been reached were I playing any MMO game - the price is too dear for me.

The remarkable stat, I think, is that 30% of all revenue from gaming comes via the PC - that's more than the 360, and PS3 combined.

Hmmm, I have some doubts about that statistic.

$2.76 Billion PC software revenue.

$8.64 Billion Console software revenue

I make that ~24% of total revenue and that is still skewed towards PC as it doesn't include digital sales on consoles (XBL/PSN/VC) while the PC figure includes everything I assume as retail PC sales only came to $911 Million.

I bought a 360 around Christmas time, probably only had about 5 hours of use out of it and that was SF2 but I have 6 games at the moment. I have just renewed my gold membership and lately have started playing a bit more Battlefield.

The 360 and consoles have some good stuff out for them but I use the PC far more for the following reasons...

1. Much better graphics, even on a HD TV the 360 simply cannot match a PC for graphical sharpness and clarity with jaggy graphics and low quality textures. Play oblivion on 360 and then on PC.

2. Keyboard and Mouse and 360 controller support, joypad doesnt really work on C+C etc

3. FREE mods and expansions some by fans not just the game creator none of this X-Box marketplace where you pay to download a wallpaper for dashboard stuff either.

4. MSN while gaming without the wait 5 seconds while I switch over thing.

5. Mostly free online gaming apart from mmorpgs where you can choose a server not get chucked on one.

6. Multitasking, watching youtube vids etc whilst gaming.

7. Steam, yes steam started off fairly unliked but you can buy full games and keep them up to date through the interface, the 360 hasnt got the disk space for anything really big (not the standard ones anyway).

Sure the PC costs more than a 360 but then again the games tend to cost less with PC's and games tend to have more community. Swings and roundabouts!, 360 gaming has its place but I believe the rewards are there if your willing to put in a bit of effort with PC gaming.

1. This is bullshit, there's no jaggies on my 360.

3. Having to pay for rubbish things on the 360 isn't really a useful point. I could make something on the PC that's rubbish and ask you to pay for it too.

4. You mean alt-tabbing which doesn't even work half the time on PC games? I far prefer having MSN on the 360 Dashboard, to be honest.

6. You would only want to do this if you were playing a shit MMO anyway.

I ignored the other points as they were correct. The key here is making sure your side's argument is consistent with reality. ^_^

personally I'd very much like to see PC gaming go the way of the dodo.

Gaming is arguably the main reason why Microsoft hold such a death grip over the home PC market. I'd like to see this change so that when I buy a PC (or laptop) I'm not obliged to pay the Microsoft tax if I choose not to.

I've spoken to numerous people who cite their only reason for sticking with Windows is gaming.

No fun in stating the really obvious. ^_^

It's not that obvious, but look at it this way. Right now, in every thread in Discussion and OT (and even scarier, ATF) people are posting the equivalent of the nonsense witnessed in here, but on any other topic you can think of. At least when it's a PC thread, you, MK, and I show up to dispense enlightenment. Who takes care of all the other threads?

I'm sick of PC gaming now. I bought the PC version of Frontlines: Fuel of War because it was £20 for the nice steelbook version rather than £40 for the standard 360 version. All good so far.

So, I install it and go to play it, only to be greeted by a SecuROM error saying I had emulation software that conflicted with Frontlines. I use no such thing so I was puzzled and pissed off.

I had to download a patch AND a hotfix to fix this issue. Because I don't use the software the error mentioned (Alcohol 120%,) I can only assume that everyone with the PC version will have this error. At the time, the extra £20 for the 360 version was looking lie money that would've been well spent.

I think I am officially done with PC gaming.

I'm not sure I give a shit about revenue share, as the PC doesn't have any licensing costs and the games cost less. I bet it works out the same overall.

Well that is the figure the PGA choose to highlight, not unit sales figures.

US 2007 retail unit sales:

PC: 36.4 million

Consoles: 153.9 million

Portables: 77.5 million

So 36.4 million versus 231.4 million console games sold at retail in 2007 in the US. the PGA figures seem a tad massaged to paint a possibly over-optimistic picture of the true state of the commercial success of PC gaming.

If PC games were making as much money for publishers/developers as console games, then they wouldn't feel the need to port formally exclusively PC game series to console.

Well that is the figure the PGA choose to highlight, not unit sales figures.

US 2007 retail unit sales:

PC: 36.4 million

Consoles: 153.9 million

Portables: 77.5 million

So 36.4 million versus 231.4 million console games sold at retail in 2007 in the US. the PGA figures seem a tad massaged to paint a possibly over-optimistic picture of the true state of the commercial success of PC gaming.

If PC games were making as much money for publishers/developers as console games, then they wouldn't feel the need to port formally exclusively PC game series to console.

How many returns for the consoles?