What can we do to save PC gaming?

LewieP

I'm not a PC gamer, never have been, i've always prefered consoles (and still do), but having bought a new PC last month for work, i thought i'd try some games on the system.

Now it's not a bad set-up (2.4 Quad Core CPU, 3gb RAM, 8800GT Video Card) and the games i tried ran great, but when i installed Cysis eveything had to be set at medium in terms of options, which annoyed me as the developers designed the game for all options to be set a full (otherwise they wouldn't have put them in there), hence your running the game the way it should be, but i couldn't because of my setup. As for the Crysis game, IMO it's just another run of the mill FPS...nothing special.

PC gaming still leaves me cold, as it did when i played the first Doom on a 486 PC.

So, what can we do to save PC gaming? Well, nothing...let it disappear up it's own arse i say because it wouldn't be missed for a second!

You make your judgement based on Crysis? Die in a fire. Twice.

As for the Crysis game, IMO it's just another run of the mill FPS...nothing special.

I bet you played about 5 minutes of it, because if you'd played any more you'd have realised how it's one of the most non-linear FPS's ever made (apart from some of the second half, admittedly), and is totally different to pretty much any FPS out on consoles at the moment.

Crysis is great.

Now it's not a bad set-up (2.4 Quad Core CPU, 3gb RAM, 8800GT Video Card)

Understatement of the year.

I really must buy myself a new PC this year. I don't want to be struggling with framerates in Stalker : Clear Sky and Far Cry 2. The ability to run GT Legends and GTR2 in high resolution/maximum detail levels/high quality shadows orgasmovision will be an added bonus.

• 3 weeks later...

iD are now joining in with the trend of big developers loosing some faith in the PC games industry.

So you still have PC players, and some players are just console guys, but have players moved over? Absolutely. We love PC gaming, and we continue to support PC gaming - but you can't ignore the market realities and the size of the console market these days.

more here

I was on a 20" 1680x1050 LCD but I've moved to my 26" HDTV now which is 1360x7768. I can't notice a difference.

that vertical rez is amazing.... :)

i was just wondering as tvs are getting better and better surely it makes sense to move things onto huge screens? i mean you have all this detail available, every single pixel is now shaded and other assorted bullshit, why limit yourself to a weeny screen?

kweschun for you pc peeps with powerhouse pcs... what size screens are you running? are you running ~20" monitors or have you got your kit running through 40" 1080p lcd/plasmas ??

23" 1920x1200 Monitor and a 46" 1080p LCD.

I was going to go for one of these quad 9800GX4's when they appear but i think i'll plump for a single GPU 9800GTX system or even a 9800GT SLI solution.

The money i'll save means i could by a PS3 although this maybe negated by the difference of PC and PS3 games pricing (almost £25 per game!).

why limit yourself to a weeny screen?

My existing 17" TFT monitor will work fine with a new PC. This will save me money, and enable me to run the latest games at the very highest detail levels (1280x1024 resolution is enough for anyone who has a decent pair of eyes).

this discussion comes up every time there is a new generation of consoles, I wonder why???

probably because most people buy the console verison as their pc's aren't up to running the latest games.

thought the lifespan of consoles people upgrade their pc's untill 2 or 3 years in their pc's are more powerfull than the consoles

they then go back to buying the pc versions as they are so superior.

there is possibly one difference this gen and that is the availability of cracked versions via bittorrent

this will be resolved over the next year or so as all games require an online component

look at the sucess of WoW for example of games still succeeding

I wish they'd just go ahead and buy nVidia already.

They will probably be able to pick up the decent bits on the cheap in a couple of years (3dFX style).

One one side you have AMD/ATI who are now starting to get their shit together after the merger caused all sorts of problems and will probably look into all kinds of interesting CPU/GPU combo malarkey. On the other side you have the worlds most successful Semiconductor company pumping massive amounts of money and resources into becoming the next big thing in your market.

If I was in charge of Nvidia I would be pretty worried these days.

except that Nvida is not only about graphics cards

Maybe not, but it is their core business. Take a look at nvidia.com, you will perhaps find a few products that do not rely upon graphics chips like the motherboard designs. The only problem with that is how much of a business would there be for such motherboards without Nvidia graphics chips driving the sales?

Nvidia's core business is graphics chips, a serious loss of market share in that would be a disaster for the company.

that vertical rez is amazing.... ;)

i was just wondering as tvs are getting better and better surely it makes sense to move things onto huge screens? i mean you have all this detail available, every single pixel is now shaded and other assorted bullshit, why limit yourself to a weeny screen?

D'oh! Typo!

Anyway, I've not notice any adverse performance effects from doing PC gaming on a PC as opposed to a monitor. My Sammy has a game mode which cuts out the processing stuff that makes the picture look better, so it's just like a monitor. Plus the resolution is lower than my monitor so I'm benefitting slightly there coz it's not noticeable.

The worst thing though is old games that don't support widescreen resolutions.

nvida could buy via or centrix and dev their own x86 chips

And I could ride my Unicorn to the magical land of faeries.

(This has about as much chance of happening as Nvidia going into producing their own x86 chips)

nVidia are designing complete integrated processors for mobile media devices though, which is where they (rightly) see their future. A move into x86 isn't entirely inconceivable, but it's kind of antithetical to what works well in mobile.

As for Intel's ray tracing rants - a load of nonsense as Carmack was pointing out. Standard rasterising is going to be the mainstream for the next 5-6 years at least. You can incorporate lessons from ray tracing, and people are (Little Big Planet leading the current charge there, oddly), but real ray tracing it is not.

When IBM's site is back you may be interested by this (which doesn't use the GPU at all):

http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/irt

One of the problems with all these new 3D systems, such as hardware curved surfaces (which were going to be big, remember?) is that it isn't how the art tools work. It would require a completely new pipeline, which in the era when everyone is jizzing over displacement mapping and tangent space normals doesn't seem entirely relevant. Personally I wish they'd moved to subdivision surfaces years ago, but you can't have everything.

It's worth saying that this idea the film industry use ray tracing all the time can be technically classed as "bollocks". Even something like Pixar's Cars uses very elaborate ways to fake it, or it would only just now be finishing rendering. RT is used in the film industry, but nothing like as much as technology pushers would have you believe.

its funny but this is the directions that sony seemed to be aiming for with the spe's -though 6 was hardly enough.

I wonder what carmack will say in 2 years when 86 based cores are fundamental to graphics.

note that nvida will move 86 within 2-3 years (my bet)