What can we do to save PC gaming?

LewieP

What's to save? PC gaming is doing just fine. The "PC gaming is dying" cliche is just a console fanboy rant or by those that really haven't got a clue on the PC gaming side of things.

Here's my take on it: I only buy console exclusives, for everything else i buy on the PC. I've got more titles for my PC than my consoles.

If anything is going to burnout, it'll be the consoles that go first. Consoles won't be around forever and they will be replaced by other forms of technology. Most likely the gaming service equivalent of cloud computing.

Also, consoles are only popular in North America and Western Europe, in Japan it's all about handhelds and the rest of the world i.e. Eastern Europe, South America and most of Asia it's mostly PC gaming. Consoles haven't got a look-in within these regions.

The times are changing and it's not a case of if, but more a question of when consoles burnout and fade away...

Not sure about that. Sure, we'll see less physical products, but if the enormous succes of the Wii proved anything, it's that people like plug and play stuff and fancy peripherals. Sitting behind a computer with a mouse or keyboard is what many people do all day for work and they prefer something else for their entertainment.

Consoles, by their nature, are far more attractive to people. Even non gamers love stuff like Singstar and Wii Sports because it offers such a different experience to most games. That and it's plug and play nature. Hook the thing up to a telly, switch it on, hit the couch and game away.

Working in the industry myself, it's increasingly hard to make money on PC games which is why most publishers focus on consoles. If MW sells 2 million copies on PC and 12 million on consoles, you can't blame them.

On a personal note, almost all of the titles I'm looking forward to are console exclusives, whether it's Galaxy 2, GoW III, The Last Guardian or Bayonetta.

Not sure about that. Sure, we'll see less physical products, but if the enormous succes of the Wii proved anything, it's that people like plug and play stuff and fancy peripherals. Sitting behind a computer with a mouse or keyboard is what people do all day for work and they prefer something else for their entertainment.

Working in the industry myself, it's increasingly hard to make money on PC games which is why most publishers focus on consoles. If MW sells 2 million copies on PC and 12 million on consoles, you can't blame them.

On a personal note, almost all of the titles I'm lookinf forward to are console exclusives, whether it's Galaxy 2, The Last Guardian or Bayonetta.

That's a fair point mate. But the Wii isn't going anywhere in Eastern Europe, South America and most of Asia outside Japan (you know the PS2 just recently got released in Brazil for the equivalent US$465.).

Also, Publishers/Developers are losing too much money on second-hand sales and therefore would prefer to go down the digital download path. The gaming service equivalent of cloud computing can provide this.

Plus, over the past months, i've read of loads of developers going bust because they can't afford to develop for the current market.

I'm not saying it'll happen next gen, but you see the effects come into place the generation after that.

The times are changing and it's not a case of if, but more a question of when consoles burnout and fade away...

Face facts nerdo, consoles are setting the rules at the moment. Look at your precious Infinity Ward and iD ditching dedicated server for the PC version. Even Crytek have realised where the money is. It's only a matter of time before Valve crumble and then the PC is officially over!

Face facts nerdo, consoles are setting the rules at the moment. Look at your precious Infinity Ward and iD ditching dedicated server for the PC version. Even Crytek have realised where the money is. It's only a matter of time before Valve crumble and then the PC is officially over!

:facepalm:

Welcome to my ignore list!

That's a fair point mate. But the Wii isn't going anywhere in Eastern Europe, South America and most of Asia outside Japan (you know the PS2 just recently got released in Brazil for the equivalent US$465.).

Also, Publishers/Developers are losing too much money on second-hand sales and therefore would prefer to go down the digital download path. The gaming service equivalent of cloud computing can provide this.

Plus, over the past months, i've read of loads of developers going bust because they can't afford to develop for the current market.

I'm not saying it'll happen next gen, but you see the effects come into place the generation after that.

Yeah, I'm sure things will change. Both pc gaming and console gaming and perhaps the child they will breed in the near future. Discs will utltimately go the way of the cd.

It'll be interesting to see how things will develop and what we'll be playing in a few years time.

The thing is that PC gaming is dead, it's just all spreadsheets that need £2000 graphics cards to run them. They're an irrelevance and anyone who likes them is just sad and should grow up and stop being a fat chess club shut-in.

Give me a comfy couch and a big TV and a controller that actually feels like I'm firing a gun any day.

On a personal note, almost all of the titles I'm looking forward to are console exclusives, whether it's Galaxy 2, GoW III, The Last Guardian or Bayonetta.

I'm also looking forward to those games. I've got, played, and completed Bayonetta on 360 though.

The thing is that PC gaming is dead, it's just all spreadsheets that need £2000 graphics cards to run them. They're an irrelevance and anyone who likes them is just sad and should grow up and stop being a fat chess club shut-in.

Give me a comfy couch and a big TV and a controller that actually feels like I'm firing a gun any day.

£2000 graphics cards, such bullshit. Pull yer head out of the sand and go back to noddyland! :facepalm:

Man, what is this, asshole day....

Again, welcome to my ignore list.

Also, Mr Gerbik is already on it!

Wow this thread jumped aboard the retard train today.

I just gave my opinion, a sound one at that to discuss with others. Then all you get in replys is you're this, that, or whatever by dickheads. I've got 10 members already on my ignore list and i've only been here 3 days! Is that a record here?

This place is worse than XBL to be honest. It's a shame as there is some ok members here. The rest just ruin it...