What can we do to save PC gaming?

LewieP

I just gave my opinion, a sound one at that to discuss with others. Then all you get in replys is you're this, that, or whatever by dickheads. I've got 10 members already on my ignore list and i've only been here 3 days! Is that a record here?

This place is worse than XBL to be honest. It's a shame as there is some ok members here. The rest just ruin it...

:lol: Don't be daft.

Oh and I've got no-one on ignore and that's after 5 years on here, is that a record? Maybe you're better off going to Gamefaqs?

The thing is though, when journalist/forum goers/whatever say PC is dead/dying they are referring to the North American & Western European markets, where outside a few companies PC gaming is a very shaky business. There's a lot more money to be made on console and the move of developers in these regions away from PC development is simply a reflection of that, e.g. I started off working on PC games now it's console only.

There are areas of the world where PC games are big, e.g. Korea but it's a completely different business model to the one Western development is built around. The biggest titles (in general) are the free to play, micro-transaction based ones. This model generally breaks down into you make nothing off of 80% of your audience, 19% spend a little and 1% is where you're making the big bucks. The model of development/play has thus far failed to take off in the West.

MMOs are an interesting case, but I would count MMO gamers as almost separate from PC gamers. A hard-core WOW player pumps money into Blizzard and spends all their time playing WOW, yes it's a PC game but they're not taking part in PC games outside of that.

This is all relating to 'core' gamers btw.

(and yes, you're a fool for jumping to the ignore button as soon as someone says something you don't like.)

Aye, very true. Perhaps you should try it too?

Hey, they brought that on themselves. If you get insulted by someone the natural feeling is just to treat them the way they treat you...

Don't bring this on me mate.

:lol: Don't be daft.

Maybe you're better off going to Gamefaqs?

Sigh...see what i mean!

Hey, they brought that on themselves. If you get insulted by someone the natural feeling is just to be treat them the way they treat you...

Don't bring this on me mate.

So, I presume it all kicked off from SweatyTravolta's use of "nerdo"?

Next was some rolly eyes.

Then we get

The Bag? Is that Bawbag!

and

Maybe, but a fool is a fool...

Edit: If you're really this sensitive then I suggest the internet's not the place for you.

By perpetuating the situation you are certainly making yourself look like the "problem".

Decent games, released at the same time as console versions. People will buy them on the consoles anyway, and the pirates will pirate.

Non of this DRM bollocks, that fucks up your system, or stops you playing cause your internet connection goes down, and you can find your bloody disc.

PC-Centric games. That is to say, traditional licences or games which have been made with the PC in mind, rather than the 360, with its shitty menu systems and UI's.

System scalability.

Potentially developers roping together. GFWL, Steam, all good ideas, but the market is too fragmented. Achievements and such on the consoles has been a good idea. But they're lazily developed on the PC, if at all. MS have all but given up on GFWL.

Console exclusives. Make them multi-format.

Stop blaming piracy. People bought the games before, they'll buy them now. Consoles have reached even further to people who traditionally didnt play games. Im sure the lack of a decent place to trade stuff in affects the PC market as well.

You've done your bit to save PC gaming then. Everybody else needs to pull their fingers out and sort this.

That was one of my points mate, it never needed saving in the first place...it's a cliche to say it's "dying".

But yeah, it's a great platform to game on.

Anyone who thinks PC gaming is dead is mental.

AGAIN and firstly theres all the sub-niche gamers (See Motor Racing sims, MMO's and FPSes), then theres indie, then theres the fact i can jump on here - write some shite, someone mentions a steam game and i can instantly download it, theres emulation, Fucking Farmville and tall that facebook shit (Yeah, Welcome back Wii owners).... i mean i'm not even trying.

You know people go on about massmarket console gaming - thats for gaming. The Massmarket is on facebook.

POINT BEING all the while you have the internet your only 2 clicks from a game.

But heres the other point - it only takes someone with half a brain to write a decent simulator and it'll have a following. That doesn't happen on the consoles. No one daren't do a simulator.

Decent games, released at the same time as console versions. People will buy them on the consoles anyway, and the pirates will pirate.

Non of this DRM bollocks, that fucks up your system, or stops you playing cause your internet connection goes down, and you can find your bloody disc.

PC-Centric games. That is to say, traditional licences or games which have been made with the PC in mind, rather than the 360, with its shitty menu systems and UI's.

System scalability.

Potentially developers roping together. GFWL, Steam, all good ideas, but the market is too fragmented. Achievements and such on the consoles has been a good idea. But they're lazily developed on the PC, if at all. MS have all but given up on GFWL.

Console exclusives. Make them multi-format.

Stop blaming piracy. People bought the games before, they'll buy them now. Consoles have reached even further to people who traditionally didnt play games. Im sure the lack of a decent place to trade stuff in affects the PC market as well.

Some good points there mate. Regarding console exclusives, they are going the way of the dodo, unless someone is willing to pay millions like MS to get them or develop them in-house like Sony or Nintendo.

If you're a developer, you want your games to be played and multiplatform is the only way to go.

Anyone who thinks PC gaming is dead is mental.

AGAIN and firstly theres all the sub-niche gamers (See Motor Racings, MMO's and FPSes), then theres indie, then theres the fact i can jump on here - write some shite, someone mentions a steam game and i can instantly download it, theres emulation, Fucking Farmville and tall that facebook shit (Yeah, Welcome back Wii owners).... i mean i'm not even trying.

You know people go on about massmarket console gaming - thats for gaming. The Massmarket is on facebook.

POINT BEING all the while you have the internet your only 2 clicks from a game.

Absolutely, the aspect of steam i like is that it can host all your PC games in one place, in that you can add to your games list within the application. Also, it's good that there is stiff competition in the digital download space because if such a game is too expensive on steam, you've always got Direct2Drive, Gamergate, GOG, Gametap, Metaboli, EA store and developer stores to buy games.

Consoles on the otherhand there is no competition for external digital download games i.e. it's just XBL, PSN, WiiWare. there's no alternative to buy elsewhere.

In other news...

A week or two ago, I was thinking of starting a thread "Help me, I'm becoming a PC gamer again", basically because I'm playing and buying more PC games than anything on console at the moment.

Apart from a small number of standout gems, console gaming is becoming a homogenised mass of silly-high budget titles which are quite rightly focused on delivering return on investment from their target demographic. Many of the games I play are the equivalent of eating one of McDonald's "gourmet" burgers -- look great, well marketed, taste good on the first bite, but ultimately leave you feeling like you should have eaten a decent steak instead.

I'm not saying PC gaming is all roses, but we're firstly arriving at the stage where the consoles have been out for a few years and PC hardware has moved on. With a desk, a nice LCD, and a half-decent PC, we are now getting versions of multiplatform games where the PC version is quite superior to the console releases -- e.g. Dragon Age.

Secondly, with services such as Steam and its competitors, there are weekly price reductions which make the incremental cost of buying software on PC significantly cheaper than buying the same game on a console. (Yes, I am not saying that PC gaming is cheaper overall, I am just considering the incremental cost of buying the software). Some of these games are just a few weeks old, but others are classics from recent years at a bargain price.

Apart from a small number of standout gems, console gaming is becoming a homogenised mass of silly-high budget titles which are quite rightly focused on delivering return on investment from their target demographic.

Then I think you have the titles copying the high budget titles, trying to ride on their coat-tails (Fracture, Wanted, Race Pro, etc,) and then after that you have the "variety" section; your Kororinpas and your Beautiful Katamaris.

I think PC gaming offers one or two of the major headline grabbing "PC only" games every two or three years, such as Crysis or Stalker and has a massive third tier of variety, a lot of which is legitimately free. I would class the PC versions of console games as the middle ground. I pay little attention to the PC versions of Street Fighter IV, FIFA or Virtua Tennis. They're filler on a format like the PC IMHO.

Then I think you have the titles copying the high budget titles, trying to ride on their coat-tails (Fracture, Wanted, Race Pro, etc,) and then after that you have the "variety" section; your Kororinpas and your Beautiful Katamaris.

I think PC gaming offers one or two of the major headline grabbing "PC only" games every two or three years, such as Crysis or Stalker and has a massive third tier of variety, a lot of which is legitimately free. I would class the PC versions of console games as the middle ground. I pay little attention to the PC versions of Street Fighter IV, FIFA or Virtua Tennis. They're filler on a format like the PC IMHO.

I agree about the categories. In fact, I should add that I think some of the most innovative games and wide-ranging libraries are available on the handhelds -- DS and PSP. There really is something for everyone on these platforms apart from the "hi-def FPS crowd". On the home consoles, I find myself playing either the huge-budget titles or some of the great XBLA and PSN titles. The middle ground is all a bit.... meh.

PC certainly does deliver the occasional must-play exclusive, and there are styles of games which are more suited to console than PC -- e.g. Virtua Tennis or Fifa. Interestingly, I prefer to play SFIV on PC with my joystick on the desk, right in front of the screen. This is much more arcade-like for me.

The thing is that PC gaming is dead, it's just all spreadsheets that need £2000 graphics cards to run them. They're an irrelevance and anyone who likes them is just sad and should grow up and stop being a fat chess club shut-in.

Give me a comfy couch and a big TV and a controller that actually feels like I'm firing a gun any day.

Win.

The thing is that PC gaming is dead, it's just all spreadsheets that need £2000 graphics cards to run them. They're an irrelevance and anyone who likes them is just sad and should grow up and stop being a fat chess club shut-in.

Give me a comfy couch and a big TV and a controller that actually feels like I'm firing a gun any day.

Stunning ignorance...

Firstly, you can use those controller thingies on PC games - which can also be played on a TV if you really want to as well - but all you really said is "I prefer other types of games" and then tried to make it sound like yours is the only opinion which matters...

The things is, the PC does 2 things which consoles cannot ever do properly and for this reason PC gaming will always be just sweet, fine and fucking dandy.

1 - offer an incredibly low bar to entry for game creators.

Whether this is through something as simple as Flash or Blitz Basic or through free game development kits (Unreal or Unity are both available 'sort of free' these days) etc. - you can develop for PC without needing to suck a corporations big fat cock...

2 - offer sophistication which is beyond the console experience

e.g. games which need more than 6 buttons.

You might also want to show some respect for the platform which not only invented and set the rules for online gaming but which continues to innovate and control online gaming whilst consoles imitate and copy it to varying degrees of success.

You might also remember that PCs are where digital delivery started and where it continues to be lightyears ahead of anyone else...

When a console has the range of games (free or paid-for) and/or an online community/playerbase remotely as successful as WoW (or 20 other games which consoles would give a kidney to parallel) do let us know tho - meanwhile stick to the shallow end mate, the deep water is not for you :)

The amazing thing is that Nintendo (for example) dedicate their entire resources into making innovative devices into order to penetrate the massmarket - and they make some great games apparently - a NOBODY then along comes some internet app that allows virtual social interactivity - they add a game or two and suddenly the massmarket have stopped playing the Wii so much. Its that easy.

I mean okay, Farmville hasn't taken over the world i grant you - but fuck me its only a 2D isometric flash game that cost very little compared to the constant input Nintendo have had to make.

Prehaps Ninty should turn to facebook (you know - that app on the PC) but they'd probably charge something to play their game and no one would bother.

Changing the subject to one of cost, yet again, despite owning the console, and i said about 2 months ago - MS's pricing is for XBLA is dire. For simple puzzle games - as a gamer - i turn to Steam which shares many XBLA concept puzzle games whilst the massmarket just play them for nothing.

Home penetration? the PC did it eons ago and is so ingrained its family. I can't see that changing in my lifetime.