IGNORED

The Ultimate Burger

rubberducker

The best burgers I've had in London recently:

1. Burger Bear - enormous, amazing bacon and bacon jam.

2. Tongue n Cheek "Heartbreaker" - Aged beef and ox heart. \m/

3. Patty + Bun - Small enough that I went for seconds, bit messy but delicious.

Five Guys is okay, but I and at least one other person I know had severe stomach upsets from eating there. I don't think their Covent Garden venue is very clean.

Honest Burger was seriously underwhelming. I mean, perfectly acceptable but Lucky Chip and Patty+Bun destroy them.

Proper barbecued ribs don't fall right off the bone. You should gnaw them off, and there should be some chew to the texture. The very, very soft meat happens when you steam them (for a really long time) instead of barbecuing them, and it's not really a sign of excellence.

I prefer them so that they aren't too slimy and chewy, it's personal preference. Dissolved collagen and fat for the win.

None of this is hard if you have the gear.

Great work Stefcha! Buns and burgers look fantastic.

I've always just eaten the buns the next day -- I use then for sandwiches and suchlike. I imagine they'll freeze as well as any other bread though. (I never have room in my freezer for bread.)

A bun query I forgot about. Mine had stuck to the greaseproof paper a bit (they were cooked on it), how would I have stopped that? They had their second rise on that paper so I'm not sure oiling the paper would've helped due to the spread, unless I oiled a fair bit of surface area - plus I dunno how/if that'd affect the second rise it being my first go at bread and all.

edit: Also, I used one for a bacon sandwich with the remaining streaky the next day, not what I'd usually use for a bacon sarnie but the slight sweetness with the savoury of the bacon and tang of the brown sauce really worked well.

After recommendations in this thread, tonight I'm going to Reds in Leeds. To be honest, I'm more likely to go for a big rack of ribs than a burger, after having 3 points already in a quality place called North Bar.

I just had to say, the beef long ribs in Reds were absolutely amazing, so so good!!

I need to get back up to Leeds just to go back to that place!!

All they need to do is sort out the occasional patchiness and it'd be completely awesome. It's usually really good, but occasionally you get something clearly reheated. I had brisket once that was like chewing a shoe, and the burgers are overcooked at least half the time.

The long ribs are genuinely amazing though, as are the ribs in general

Yesterday we made sourdough waffles as buns, because Redbloodcel was meant to be making rolls but it would have taken 3 hours and we were hungover and starving. They turned our surprisingly well. Served them with pulled pork, maple glazed pancetta, frazzles, comte & Gruyere cheeses, baconnaise, acidulated lettuce, ketchup, mustard, pickle & onion.

The only picture doesn't really show it off that well & the burgers we had were not great, despite the butcher ensuring their quality.
1005244_660282329621_194664149_n.jpg

Went to Five Guys at the weekend, I thought it was top notch- proper nice handymade-looking patties with the nobbly bits around the edge, crispy, crispy bacon you could package up as a snack and sell.

Next time I'm getting a Little Burger instead of the regular ones. Generous is not the word for the regular ones. That and I ordered a small fries and they shovelled the equivalent of a McDonalds Supersize into my brown bag. Gotta love 'em. Couldn't move afterwards for about ten minutes, like, but fuck it.

IMG_20130817_193232.jpg

Taking my wife to London for our second wedding anniversary next Tues/Wed. Have sorted out meals on the Tues (Belgo for a spot of lunch and Whits in the evening) but we wanted a burger for lunch on the Wednesday. Where's best to go - she likes fairly plain burgers with just cheese & onions (and normal bread instead of brioche) and I like a big juicy rare-ish burger with loads of toppings. She also insists on her chips being super crispy crunchy. Any ideas?

I would say Elliots for Lunch if you are after something plain. The chips are pretty much roast potato slices so very crunchy and the burger is all about the beef which is excellent. I do like the messy toppings myself but Elliots was a joy and it's only available at lunchtimes.

The juciest, messiest burger is Wenlock & Essex's 30 Burger - the chips there are crispy, but they are small fries and I'm not sure they even do a plain burger, the standard menu burger is topped with pulled pork & slow roast tomato.

I really enjoy Atomic Burger, and atomic pizza ( who also do burgers )

It's the setting, which is just 80s nostalgia and kids toys and the menu, which is just ridiculous toppings and each one has a sticker that comes with it to go in your sticker book. It's a lot of fun.

The burgers are decent, served medium rare and I've never had a bad one. The staff are great and the fries are completely different to most places ( Sci Fries, topped with garlic & chilli flakes ) and they do huge onion rings, fantastic shakes & have a decent stock of american sodas and beers.

I went there last week and had a lovely time, then went to Raul's afterwards for a few cocktails, which I can definately recommend.

Yeah I really enjoyed Atomic Burger, lots of fun and tasty food.

I had friends go there expecting 'the best burger ever', and frankly I don't think it's ever going to be that since it's cheap and not trying to be a Michelin star style burger... It's more of a fun atmosphere & menu place, with great food to boot.

Definitely worth a visit.

I went there last week and had a lovely time, then went to Raul's afterwards for a few cocktails, which I can definately recommend.

Oh aye, Raoul's is great. I think I had something out of a Golden Syrup tin last time I was in. Definitely a spot for an Oxford meet-up.

I could drink in Rauls for days and never have a bad drink or the same drink twice.

I was pretty gutted that when we visited they closed while we were trying to decide what to have, the menu is a monster.

I would say Elliots for Lunch if you are after something plain. The chips are pretty much roast potato slices so very crunchy and the burger is all about the beef which is excellent. I do like the messy toppings myself but Elliots was a joy and it's only available at lunchtimes.

The juciest, messiest burger is Wenlock & Essex's 30 Burger - the chips there are crispy, but they are small fries and I'm not sure they even do a plain burger, the standard menu burger is topped with pulled pork & slow roast tomato.

Brilliant - thanks Gaz :hat:

BBQ today.

7500 grames mince

2 eggs

some steak herbs (I'd normally use barts's but i've run out).

2 dashes Soy suace

diced onion

broken water biscuits (its all i've got in).

Now settling in the fridge.

Still should make for a nice burger or 12.