IGNORED

The Ultimate Burger

rubberducker

On 11/11/2021 at 20:10, And said:

So. A hypothetical question. If you were at a bbq place and they did a cheeseburger that was served between 2 glazed ring donuts rather than buns - would you?

Bread Meats Bread in Glasgow do these

image.png.e12db45a25a81ec79842c2c16f810dcb.png

https://www.breadmeatsbread.com/images/glasgow-food.pdf

And yes, I would have one :)

(Opted for the Black & Blue when I went though due to the disapproving glare I got from the missus lol)

• 2 months later...

Got around to trying a Bleecker joint (Victoria) this evening and, while I wasn't as disappointed as when we went to Patty & Bun (Notting Hill), it was certainly underwhelming. The burger was solid enough, I suppose, but the mixed fries were poor and the angry fries tasted of little but blue cheese (which I didn't hate, but a bit of balance wouldn't hurt). It was a fairly shit experience too: utterly freezing in the restaurant, despite being tiny, and a bafflingly impersonal service involving ordering on a touchscreen and basically no member of staff talking to us at any point. I suppose, to be fair, the name Bleecker does appear to honestly describe the kind of evening you're going to get relative to their competitors.

I guess I may have missed the boat with both of these a bit but it's not like it's impossible for a small burger chain to maintain standards, as borne out by various of my favourites.

Any hot new burger purveyors that I should be visiting in London (ideally not the more eastern parts) instead?

8 hours ago, hmm said:

Got around to trying a Bleecker joint (Victoria) this evening and, while I wasn't as disappointed as when we went to Patty & Bun (Notting Hill), it was certainly underwhelming. The burger was solid enough, I suppose, but the mixed fries were poor and the angry fries tasted of little but blue cheese (which I didn't hate, but a bit of balance wouldn't hurt). It was a fairly shit experience too: utterly freezing in the restaurant, despite being tiny, and a bafflingly impersonal service involving ordering on a touchscreen and basically no member of staff talking to us at any point. I suppose, to be fair, the name Bleecker does appear to honestly describe the kind of evening you're going to get relative to their competitors.

I guess I may have missed the boat with both of these a bit but it's not like it's impossible for a small burger chain to maintain standards, as borne out by various of my favourites.

Any hot new burger purveyors that I should be visiting in London (ideally not the more eastern parts) instead?

Bleecker are good for takeaway but not really eating in.

Burger and Beyond is good - Shoreditch / Hackney Wick.

Dip and Flip too if you're in the south west (Battersea / Wimbledon). Incredible gravy and dipping a burger in gravy is the height of indulgence.

Otherwise as @Lovelyman says I think Honest is the best prolific burger place in zone 1, with meatliquor a strong alternative.

7 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Have you any experience of the one on the Southbank?

Will be in London at the start of April and staying next to the London Eye and it's close by.

Have had a home delivery kit thing from them before and loved it.

1 minute ago, memories said:

Have you any experience of the one on the Southbank?

Will be in London at the start of April and staying next to the London Eye and it's close by.

Have had a home delivery kit thing from them before and loved it.

It's an outdoor food hut with outdoor picnic benches nearby if I remember right - so good but not a proper sit down thing.

Perfectly fine on a day with decent weather.

1 hour ago, Isaac said:

Bleecker are good for takeaway but not really eating in.

Dip and Flip too if you're in the south west (Battersea / Wimbledon). Incredible gravy and dipping a burger in gravy is the height of indulgence.

Otherwise as @Lovelyman says I think Honest is the best prolific burger place in zone 1, with meatliquor a strong alternative.

Thanks - I really meant newer entrants though. D&F, HB, M&L are all very much on the favourites list that I mentioned!

Yet to try Burger & Beyond. Definitely intend to if we're over Shoreditch way at some point (or maybe even Camden, but eating in would be a lot easier and I'd prefer the fuller menu).

For Burger and Beyond the meat burger are excellent - avoid the veggie burgers, last one my wife had was wet mush. Only been to the Shoreditch branch.

I really enjoyed Black Bear Burger (Shoreditch and Brixton), possibly the best bun I’ve had. The burgers themselves felt similar to Bleecker.

https://www.blackbearburger.com/

Mac and Wild was also great… looks like their website is down at the moment though.