Albums with emphasis on drumming

• 3 weeks later...

The Boredoms' Super Roots 9 (a live recording from a Christmas Eve show) is a must for any drumlovers; the standard 3 drum setup for about 40 minutes with a 24 piece choir. It's relentless celebration; the sound of a rave in heaven. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything quite like it before.

It's had some mixed reviews due to it's repetitiveness, but if it clicks it's just so overpoweringly joyful. I can't even begin to think what it must have been like to witness live.

I'm not sure which drummer you meant, but I love Jack's drumming on Future of the Left's adeadenemyalwayssmellsgood.

It also contains the word 'paradiddle,' so bonus points.

I used to work for McLusky, and both Mat and Jack were excellent drummers and quite different. Mat was older and more instantly powerful. When Jack joined he was still pretty young, less brute force but really technical and tight.

Saw FoTL last week, and Jack has really built up loads more power as well as still being excellent technically. Brilliant band - my fave "rock" album of 2007 for sure.

I don't really know anything about drumming but I've always really enjoyed Fyfe Ewing, the original drummer from Therapy? (he's absolutely incredible on the Nurse album) and Mike Bordin from when he was in Faith No More.

I don't really know anything about drumming but I've always really enjoyed Fyfe Ewing, the original drummer from Therapy? (he's absolutely incredible on the Nurse album)

Yes! He was (is?) brilliant! I remember when they first appeared, with those mini albums on Wiiija, thinking they sounded like a punk band playing techno, because the drums were so propulsive and exciting. Wonderful stuff.

Another mention here for Motley Crues Dr Feelgood (and also Girls girls girls and Hell on high heels and same 'ol situation)- Tommy Lee is an awesome drummer.

Pantera - Cemetary gates, Mouth for war, War, The Badge. (from Reinventing Hell)

Pearl Jam - Hail, Hail.

Pink Floyd - Careful with that axe Eugine - Mental bit of drumming after the 'arghhhhhhh'

Serj Tankians album Elect the dead has some great drumming going on (has everything great going on tbh).

Skunk Anansie - Paranoid & Sunburnt - particularly Little baby swastikka, It takes blood n guts.., Rise up.

Stone Sour - Come what(ever) may - in particular Hell & consequences, Reborn, Socio.

And of course you cant beat System of a downs album Toxcity for awesome drumming.

I have to mention some of ZZ Top as well - Tush, Gimme all your lovin', Cheap sunglasses. (Greatest hits)

The Killers - Midnight show.

Some are albums, some are tracks, all have good drumming.

edit/ Paul Wellers You do something to me is also worthy of a mention.

Also Killswitch Engages version of Holy Diver.

Also Audioslave - what you are. Nothing fancy but I just have such a thing for clear crisp hi hats :huh:

And I would say absolutely anything by The Foo Fighters - dave grohl IS the shits!

(god almighty I really really need to get a drum kit)

Dave doesn't drum much anymore though does he?

I'd say listen to Smashing Pumpkins. Jimmy Chamberlain is amazing.

Although for learning to play drums I'm finding the Vines quite easy to follow...

Dave doesn't drum much anymore though does he?

I'd say listen to Smashing Pumpkins. Jimmy Chamberlain is amazing.

Although for learning to play drums I'm finding the Vines quite easy to follow...

Yeah true but when he does...oh by christ he does!

I've been listening to Pearl Jams Animal today, nice bit of skin bashing right there.

That's some cool stuff, going to go check some more, cheers Exidor.

Ruins alone was a bit weird, it was very good but I don't know, it and the whole night lacked a spark. The Acid Mother's bassist had been seen home to Japan with a serious throat injury and neither Kawabata or Yoshida really seemed up for it, there was only about 20 people down to watch the show too and most of them were sitting down so all the high energy coming off the stage wasn't coming back at them. Last time I saw AMT I really felt like I'd been at a gig, last night just felt like a rehearsal :lol:

I could name the obvious ones but people seem to have it covered.

Might I suggest a few picks I go back to for some primo rhythms (sampled, played or just thrashed out - not necessarily technical drumming, just good beats)

At the Drive in : anything, but Relation Of Command is the opus

(you could try the first two Sparta albums if you like the ATDI drummer, if you don't mind being called an emo-whore by people who can go fuck themselves :lol:)

Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - "Life Begins Again", tracks : "Streetcrawler", "Loki Cat", "Cranes of Prey" but the whole album really.

DJ Shadow - "Entroducing". Tracks : "The number song", "Changeling"

DJ Shadow - "Private Press". Track "Giving up the ghost", "Right Thing/GDMFSOB"

DJ Krush - "The Message At The Depth" Track : "Trihedron featuring Opus",

Future Sound of London - "Dead Cities", tracks : "Herd Killing", "Glass Yage Vit Drowning", "My Kingdom" (a clean hat)

Future Sound of London - "IDSN" tracks: "Slider" and "Far out son of lung"

I know these are odd choices for a lover of a more metal sound, but there's some good stuff in the "electronic realm" that I wouldn't discount.