IGNORED

Mad Men

Jim Miles

I thought that scene humanised Bob Benson a lot, I usually can't stand his eternally sunny disposition. Now he seems like a sad clown.

I don't know why they didn't close on Don and Peggy's slow dance this episode. After that I was just waiting for the episode to end basically.

So many things wrapped-up:

- Don and Megan split amicably. Buh-bye!

- Peggy steps out of Don's shadow fully (albeit with his continued tutelage)

- They get a ton of money, and ostensibly still have autonomy. Jim Cutler gets played at his own game in the process

- Joan gets her dollah

- Harry doesn't get to be partner - HA!

- They got Burger Chef!

Everything was so perfect - pretty much a fairytale ending. ....So we're all prepared for out-and-out misery in the final half-season, right?

The mid season finale would have been the fan pleasing finale with a little sad touch if this wasn't Mad Men. The next series is going to bring so much pain. I loved Sally's bits in this episode too inc the kids line when she kissed him. Funny and sweet.

I did think this when Don casually how remote it was up there.

And I came across the Manson killings after reading about some awful 1960s murders previously mentioned in Mad Men...

I have heard it said by some that the 60s ended with the Manson killings, it was the end of the optimism of the hippie era. Where was that from?

Megan is basically living where the murder happens at the exact time period. I think we know what's happening next year! This returns next year now. I don't get the break, but I think it's due to AMC having nothing to replace it with yet.

Also what the hell was with Don at the end? Was he having a micro hallucination? Another breakdown?

Have they done any hints like this that haven't come true? I've not followed it in enough detail to remember.
In fact, are there any decent websites where you can read up on all the details they put in? I'm sure I'm missing some of them.

I enjoyed the finale and I've enjoyed this half-season, but I've been really taken aback by how fast the show moves nowadays. There are times when you'd hardly believe Mad Men used to be the ultimate slow burn show, where an entire episode could pass with little of note happening in terms of pure plot development. I don't think it's exaggerating to say the amount of plot points that now happen in a single episode could have filled at least half a season of the old style Mad Men. Though some of this could be attributed to the half-season effect, I think the show has been going down this path for at least a couple of seasons. I still enjoy watching it but it feels like a very different show to the one I initially fell in love with.

The past few episodes in particular have really felt like the show straining to wrap up absolutely everything. So much disparate yet major stuff happened in the finale alone that it actually felt a bit graceless and inorganic to me, by Mad Men's own high standards - an overload of resolutions and major events in quick succession.

It's intriguing because Weiner has another 7 episodes in which he could have spread all this out, and the half season finale could easily have been the show finale with a few tweaks (though perhaps too pat and 'everyone is happy' for a realistic feeling ultimate conclusion to a show like Mad Men). But he's chosen to resolve almost every major thread with 7 episodes to go and it leaves me wondering just exactly where the last 7 episodes are going to take us. I don't really have any idea, but despite any misgivings about the show in its current form, I can't wait to find out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just started S7 but I'm a bit confused, and I don't have access to the episodes of S6 again however....

I remember Don left at the end of season 6, well he was made to leave but what exactly were the reasons again?. I'm currently on the episode 3 of season 7 when he comes back and no-one exactly wants him back?. I'm baffled because the guy was a genius and the only thing I remotely remember was he talked about him growing up in a brothel and then that was that.

He pretty much destroyed any chance of a Hershey's deal within a few minutes of opening his mouth; he kept doing things without informing his colleagues; he was constantly drunk (sure, this can also be applied to Roger - but the guy's always meeting clients and shit, when he's not comatose in his office).

Basically, he was on thin ice already, and that episode just tipped it over the edge. It's probably the worst version of Don since the show began, and it was good to see him getting a major slap on the wrist for his actions.

He pretty much destroyed any chance of a Hershey's deal within a few minutes of opening his mouth; he kept doing things without informing his colleagues; he was constantly drunk (sure, this can also be applied to Roger - but the guy's always meeting clients and shit, when he's not comatose in his office).

Basically, he was on thin ice already, and that episode just tipped it over the edge. It's probably the worst version of Don since the show began, and it was good to see him getting a major slap on the wrist for his actions.

Thank you, that all makes sense. What exactly did he say regarding the Hershey's pitch?, if I'm mistaken wasn't it one of those times when he was genuinely honest and opened up regarding his past?.