Mad Men

Jim Miles

• 1 year later...

I caught the first series of this when it was on British TV and liked it. My schedule is too busy for me to stick with a series according to TV so never followed it through.

Is it worth picking up the entire series on DVD for £40? Did the quality remain high?

IMO it's the greatest character drama ever, so yes, it's worth watching the rest. I remember I watched the first series when 3 was on, then took a year out. When I caught up I blitzed the other two series in a week, then watched it week by week from series 4.

Series 6 dips a little bit in that I felt the characters weren't really going anywhere new. However Series 7 really brings it back.

Myself and my wife watched all seven series in 3 months and it's easily one of the best tv programmes made. Watched the final episode on Christmas Day and it was an amazing end to it all.

Truly worth it and really an outstanding experience!

On 25/09/2016 at 08:57, curium said:

I caught the first series of this when it was on British TV and liked it. My schedule is too busy for me to stick with a series according to TV so never followed it through.

Is it worth picking up the entire series on DVD for £40? Did the quality remain high?

It has some lows, but they're so slight it's barely worth mentioning. It's an absolutely astounding show - one of the greatest ever made.

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, revlob said:

My wife and I have just finished Mad Men, and now we are left with a gaping hole in our lives. What the fuck do we watch now?

Halt & Catch Fire on Amazon - it recreates a different age (the advent of PCs being sold to the masses and then on to the birth of the internet) with a similar eye for the people and era.

• 4 months later...

We have just finished this (last night) after binge watching it on Netflix of late - my word what a great show and while I’ve been watching I’ve been reading this thread (never going ahead of the episode just watched) and have really enjoyed the reactions. While very late to the party this is easily up there with my fave show and defi has some of the best characters - I agree with many about the finale, mixed bags for the characters but I almost cheered as Pete got on the plane with Trudi and their kid, Dons smirk into the coke advert was perfection for me!

What to do now, or watch more to the point... Sopranos is on the list of shame but no way to easily watch it given we have Virgin not Sky.

9 minutes ago, CrispinFoetus said:

The Americans. A show about a pair of Russian spies living in a DC suburb and their relationship with their FBI agent neighbour during the peak of the 'cold war.'

Good point, watched some of the series but I think stopped when it changed who/what was showing it!

1 hour ago, Shimmyhill said:

What to do now, or watch more to the point... Sopranos is on the list of shame but no way to easily watch it given we have Virgin not Sky.

You really need to sort that out, it's one of a very, very small amount of shows as good as Mad Men. Pretty sure you can pick up all 6 seasons for pretty damn cheap nowadays

14 minutes ago, Majora said:

You really need to sort that out, it's one of a very, very small amount of shows as good as Mad Men. Pretty sure you can pick up all 6 seasons for pretty damn cheap nowadays

I’m not sure we could be bothered with dvd/Blu-ray disc swapping plus only have a player in one room - seems to be unavailable on nowtv so not finding a way to watch it at the moment :o 

On 18/10/2018 at 08:26, Shimmyhill said:

We have just finished this (last night) after binge watching it on Netflix of late - my word what a great show and while I’ve been watching I’ve been reading this thread (never going ahead of the episode just watched) and have really enjoyed the reactions. While very late to the party this is easily up there with my fave show and defi has some of the best characters - I agree with many about the finale, mixed bags for the characters but I almost cheered as Pete got on the plane with Trudi and their kid, Dons smirk into the coke advert was perfection for me!

Took your bloody time. Sopranos is probably the only thing, for me at least, that is as good as Mad Men.

On 19/10/2018 at 14:01, Meh said:

Took your bloody time. Sopranos is probably the only thing, for me at least, that is as good as Mad Men.

I got a 2 month nowTV sub just to take the piss as Sopranos is no longer a box set on there...

On 19/10/2018 at 11:29, OneDvBmbr said:

It’s on Amazon Prime. 

Well, all of it except for the final season! Been waiting over six months since the end of the penultimate one and forgotten most of what happened now. 

It’s all on Netflix!

I was talking about The Americans. Still waiting for the final season of that on Prime. 

However, I did have the same issue with Mad Men where up until a year or so ago the final 7 episodes were still missing on Netflix due to some rights issue. Waited about 9 months after binging the other six and a half seasons in about a month, it was a right pain in the arse. 

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Papaya Dance said:

Thanks to @Mr Combo Breakerand @DeciderVTfor recommending this in The Terror thread. Only four episodes in but I'm really enjoying it so far. My only thing is everybody is an absolute thunder cunt. Does anyone likeable turn up later on, or is the whole point that I'm supposed to hate the lot of them?

Maybe, but don’t get attached. It’s always that kind of show.

Peggy is really the only character I would say you are meant to unreservedly like, and even then she has her moments. Your feelings for the rest will fluctuate greatly over the course of the show.