Retro Gamer - Issue 49

NonShinyGoose

The Jaguar was British designed, if I remember right.

The Jaguar isn't one of the featured machines in that article - it's British COMPUTERS (Oric, Dragon, etc) from the early 1980s...

Nice issue, plenty of variety in the articles. Shame about the flaws in a couple of articles, and having played/heard about nine out of the ten "obscure" racing games I have to agree with Dudley...

The Jaguar isn't one of the featured machines in that article - it's British COMPUTERS (Oric, Dragon, etc) from the early 1980s...

Nice issue, plenty of variety in the articles. Shame about the flaws in a couple of articles, and having played/heard about nine out of the ten "obscure" racing games I have to agree with Dudley...

Mmm.. a better title might have been 'The Alternative Top Ten Racers' which would obv be a better tie-in with the pieces Stu's best known for...

Are there many more of these list-based features to come?

If you mean the top 25s then yes, because they've proven to be very popular with the vast majority of readers. Still, we're having a rejig soon, so maybe we'll swop them out for something else.

If you mean the top 25s then yes, because they've proven to be very popular with the vast majority of readers. Still, we're having a rejig soon, so maybe we'll swop them out for something else.

When you say 'vast majority of the readers', do you mean via feedback from the website, or some survey that I've missed?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the mag and it keeps me reading depsite no longer actually playing retro games, just that list features aren't my favourite thing.

When you say 'vast majority of the readers', do you mean via feedback from the website, or some survey that I've missed?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the mag and it keeps me reading depsite no longer actually playing retro games, just that list features aren't my favourite thing.

I have to say I quite like them as long as they aren't those silly Top Ten best games ever type things. The beat em ups one was good as you got to see a good many games without a bit of blurb about each alot of the games would probably never get a full article so its better than nothing. I say let them stay as they arent doing any harm. I hope you aren't going to blame Strider for not playing retro games anymore :)

I wanna see a Top 10 Best Gaming Systems Ever(!!) list just to see the fanboy carnage in the aftermath.

It would be sodding amazing wouldn't it. Especially when half the readership instantly cancelled their subscriptions because the Dreamcast made the top spot...

The Wizard the movie? Nice, good to see RG diversifying. :(

Any quotes from the Savage?

I couldn't get in touch with Savage sadly, as Daz says it's just the director (I did get in touch with the little lad who played Jimmy but he didn't get his replies back in time sadly).

I should probably reword that - he didn't get his replies back at all. I told him what the deadline was and he completely missed it, so I basically said not to bother.

He's done some interviews elsewhere, I'm sure a Wizard fansite got in touch with him.

I should probably reword that - he didn't get his replies back at all. I told him what the deadline was and he completely missed it, so I basically said not to bother.

He's done some interviews elsewhere, I'm sure a Wizard fansite got in touch with him.

Anyone else have a big crush on Jenny Lewis nowadays or is it just me?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70oeD9_R6OU

Think its a strong issue this month - always love a Stuart Campbell feature and there were some games amongst his list I'd never heard of...and great to see Crazy Cars 3 getting some dues - the night time racing downhill through the forest was awesome.

A few peculiar errors in this month, where it seems the wrong game is being referenced - in the beat 'em ups list IK+ is listed, but the blurb seems to be talking about IK (Sydney Opera house, the bonus round punching a bull!?) which seemed like a bit of a dozy error - is it that difficult to get them mixed up? (Guessing it should have been about IK+ - I'm surprised the first one would have rated so highly)

Good stuff though - I think the balance in the magazine is really good right now, and as I'm (finally) a subscriber its nice to get it through at the same time as the majority of people on this forum!

• 3 weeks later...

The rest of the issue looks like it's going to be a good read - especially with The Wizard being featured - but the Top 25 thing this month is so bad I did an actual facepalm.

Biggest waste of ink evar.

And I can't blame Tooley this time.