IGNORED

Programme announcers talking over the end of films on telly!

ZOK

I don't watch a ton of films on TV, but I've noticed this happen a couple of times, and both times I've been amazed. Peep this:

Experience One: I was watching First Blood on some crappy channel like ITV4 or Living, and just when Sly was getting warmed up in his emotive speech to the Colonel at the end, the programme announcer suddenly starts talking ALL OVER THE TOP! Of the films poignant denouement! And it wasn't like he just said 'coming up next, blah blah', he rambled on all over the Sly's bit, cracking some lame jokes about the next programme. Well, I was fucking stunned, to say the least. Still, that's how it is on these new crappy channels, I thought to my self. However...

Experience Two: Last night I switched to Film Four to watch Quills, and ended up watching the last five minutes or so of the remake of The Italian Job. I don't know what the score was, but Edward Norton was being held by some Russians, or something. Anyway, one of the guys starts to explain why they were holding him, and then BAM! the announcer pipes up and starts talking about Brick for thirty odd seconds, whilst half the screen is showing a preview of it! Now I don't think Film Four is as amazing as some on here, but I do expect them to have some level of understanding that if a viewer is watching a film, they want to see the end of it, not an advert. For all I know, the bit they talked over could have been a vital explaination of the preceding plot. If I had been watching the film myself I would have been fuming - in fact I am, and I didn't even watch it!

So, is this sort of shit commonplace now? If so, why the hell would anyone watch a movie on TV?

EDIT:

grinds-my-gears1.jpg

Wow, talking over and squashing credits is fairly normal these days and annoying enough, but the only times I've seen what you describe happened due to technical glitches and a promo or whatever played before it was supposed to.

I was well aware of this happening with tv programmes, but not films, the particular examples given are a bit worrying.

Even talking over the end of shows bothers me, its like credits are lost time to people now, but there are definately instances where they are needed in full and without an announcer.

Please don't tell me C5 are doing lame entertainment news pieces in film ad breaks now as well. Thought it was just ITV2, 3 and 4...

If John Lennon had just got shot I could understand it, but seeing as it's always just a string of press-release-cribbed rubbish then why bother? Do you hate your audience that much?

Even talking over the end of shows bothers me, its like credits are lost time to people now, but there are definately instances where they are needed in full and without an announcer.

It's BBC policy that you're no longer allowed to have any speech or anything which is "editorially critical to the integrity of the programme" in the credits due to the way they squeeze and talk over them now. :)

Rant: http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/columni...2077719,00.html

Why? Research shows up to 80% of viewers can leave a programme at the start of the end credits. Amazing find! People turn over when they're done watching a programme. *slow clap*

Those entertainment "news" bulletins some channels are doing are a massive pain in the arse when you're recording stuff on anything which is slot-based rather than time-based. Really - who gives a flying fuck?

Yup, it's mandatory now, Charlie Brooker has had numerous amsuing rants about it both in the Guardian and on Screen Wipe.

It wouldn't be so bad if it replaced the annoying captions telling you what's on next before the programme you're watching has even finished. But clearly it's in addition to those.

FFS :)

Why? Research shows up to 80% of viewers can leave a programme at the start of the end credits. Amazing find! People turn over when they're done watching a programme. *slow clap*

I wonder if this research takes into account the people who would've just left things alone, but now turn over in disgust at the contemptuous manner in which they're being treat? What's the point in licensing music for end credits for, say, Ashes to Ashes, if you're then going to ruin it with pointless continuity?

Obviously people are such mindless drones these days that the concept of continuity and programme announcements taking place between the actual programmes is an alien concept.

Stuff like this was (and still is) fine.

It's BBC policy that you're no longer allowed to have any speech or anything which is "editorially critical to the integrity of the programme" in the credits due to the way they squeeze and talk over them now. :)

I did not know this. It all makes sense now. :lol:

Even cut yet free-from-interference credits are better than nothing.

An example that just came to mind is Cloverfield. I mean, it'd lose a lot of impact on a small screen anyway, but imagine watching that on TV and the myriad ways in which it would be ruined. Ad breaks are the biggie, but the credits... Someone talking over them the minute the film ends.

For those of you who've seen the film, you know what I mean when I say that it would ruin the effect.

It's a total lack of respect for viewers and for the programme and film makers. I would love to see a really intelligent person (like David Attenborough when he was controller of BBC2) come in and set high standards for programming and for treating viewers with respect.

Slightly related to this is that they should get rid of the onscreen logos too.

This has become a complete pet hate of mine, often invoking copious amounts of 'will you just STFU!!!' shouting at the screen....especially when there is a cool song from the soundtrack playing on the credits.

Trouble is, who do you complain to about it?....the faceless pen pushing bastards that made the decision to do this are, no doubt, hidden behind 50 levels of Junior BBC management.

As bad as we are getting, the US always stays one step ahead. They have progressed to pup-up animated banners taking up a large chunk of screen several times during shows. A couple of times I've been caught out when watching Stargate and I see two people apparently enter the room from behind the camera. But they aren't entering the room. It is just the start of an animated banner for Ghost Hunter or something.

Slightly related to this is that they should get rid of the onscreen logos too.

The new BBC3 one is really annoying me. Not only is it bigger than the last one, but it's bright pink! I can't think of any other logos that have had colour in them - they should be white and slightly see-thru, anything else is just intrusive.

As bad as we are getting, the US always stays one step ahead. They have progressed to pup-up animated banners taking up a large chunk of screen several times during shows. A couple of times I've been caught out when watching Stargate and I see two people apparently enter the room from behind the camera. But they aren't entering the room. It is just the start of an animated banner for Ghost Hunter or something.

We'll see that sort of thing over here soon no doubt :unsure: I bet ITV2 do it first.

The new BBC3 one is really annoying me. Not only is it bigger than the last one, but it's bright pink! I can't think of any other logos that have had colour in them - they should be white and slightly see-thru, anything else is just intrusive.

We'll see that sort of thing over here soon no doubt :unsure: I bet ITV2 do it first.

Already happens (on Sci-Fi IIRC). 'Tis fuckwittedness of the highest order.

Already happens (on Sci-Fi IIRC). 'Tis fuckwittedness of the highest order.

Really? *shudders*

There's got to be a backlash against all this sort of thing surely.

The pop-ups are no doubt to counter PVRs and the like - the now and next stuff (and talking over the credits) is going to become next to useless in years to come, when people won't be watching programmes at a scheduled time. I've got a Freeview PVR and I never watch anything live anymore.

BBC2 is starting to annoy me. They do the screen shrink thing, tell you what's coming next, then immediately after the credits end they'll run a trail/bumper for the next programme. Thank you, you already told me once.

Yes, the worst being the ad for 'The Simple Life', which takes up a good quarter of the screen.

I noticed the other day that CBeebies channel has a logo in the top left that roates every 30 seconds. That's bloody annoying too.

Obviously people are such mindless drones these days that the concept of continuity and programme announcements taking place between the actual programmes is an alien concept.

Whenever I pine for the olden days when there would be a single presenter, on-screen, who would be your host and guide to the evening's entertainment, only appeared between programmes and did more than pimp upcoming tat to you, I feel a bit like a tragic old nostalgia-junkie doomed to be looking wistfully over my shoulder for the rest of my life. But by God these these things really were better back then. I remember Paul Lavers, bless him, taking the midnight shift on Anglia and offering all manner of chatty titbits about the films being shown and exercising a level of independent conduct that would probably mean an instant dismissal today.

Ah, me: http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/itveastofengland...nglia-cont.html. And there's BC, too. Didn't I have a rant on here a couple of months ago about not wanting to live in a world where TV companies don't dedicate five-minute slots several times a day to a puppet reading out birthday cards? I certainly meant to, at any rate.

I was watching Tales of the Unexpected on ITV4 last night (The Flypaper = score) and the ad breaks went like this: AXA insurance sponsorship message, two trailers for ITV shows, same AXA message, back to the show. There were no actual ads at all. It's mental madness.

Don't most films have sped-up or cut end credits sequences on TV anyway? I agree that having a voiceover is annoying, but it's not as if the credits weren't ruined anyway.

I remember this happening during the end credits of Cliffhanger on ITV, in which the camera pulls back from the surviving characters and spins around a mountain peak at dizzying speeds as the credits race up the screen.

Oh god, I am in agreement with this thread. I'm with Brooker on the credit-squeezing - less because of the "breathing space/not being shouted at" factor but because they're credits - people who worked on the fucking show getting a justified acknowledgement. My mum's an actor, and I've always enjoyed pointing out her name if we've watched something she's in. Now it's an indistinct blur in the bottom right. FUCK THAT, guys.

I'm most adamant about the pop-up ads during programmes, though. I think they're partly done because TV thinks of us all as impressionable drooling twatboxes - "OH LOOK ELI STONE IS ON NEXT! MUST WATCH! HIGH FIVE!!!!!!" - and partly to foist ads on people who download, and thus get the ads blocked for them. Why can't TV people come up with a solution to this that doesn't involve putting irritating, content-ruining shit over a piece of art (even a trashy, barely-worthy-of-the-name one like Lost)? The pirates will always get the shows out quickly and you're still selling DVDs. Fucking work something out already.