Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

What a pathetic excuse. Blaming one game and not the whole backwards-compatible xbox originals lineup? PIFFLE.

Let's do a brainstorm: what would be the real reason? I call lazyness. They can upgrade the whole Live system with avatars and all the other useless tat, but can't increase the friends cap? Getouttahere!

Of course than can blame Halo 2 and not the whole backwards compatible line up. Halo 2 is still popular on xbox live with almost 10,000 people playing, I doubt any other original game is anywhere close to that. They're a bit stuck really. It would be nice to see them wrap up the original version of Live so we can really move forward though.

Are there more than 10,000 people in the world who need more than 100 spaces on their friends list? Isn't the average something like 20 people on a friends list? The people I know who own a 360 and wisely don't touch forums probably have less than a dozen on their lists.

Removing the LIVE component of all original Xbox games would piss off far more people I'm sure than it would be useful for. Get Clan Support in!

Really, what is the point of the number that now comes with a Gold Account? Am I supposed to look at other people with higher numbers, and be filled with admiration? If so, why?

Yes, you should bow down to them as an overlord. Like gamerscrore, it is a number to gain mass respect from your xbox peers. Watch them cower as they realise you have had a gold account for three years and that you have also bought a pretend lightsaber for your little pretend avatar.

I don't notice much improvement in the new dash when loading Xbox Live content. Yesterday it couldn't find any information at all until I did a reboot, and after that it worked but I didn't notice any dramatic speed up or anything. All in all I probably wouldn't even have noticed the update if it wasn't prompted.

Same here. Download-speeds were actually lower than what I'm used to on XBL. So all things considered the update has made things slightly worse for me... The Dash and its Mini-brother still feel like you are stuck in syrup.

Same here. Download-speeds were actually lower than what I'm used to on XBL. So all things considered the update has made things slightly worse for me... The Dash and its Mini-brother still feel like you are stuck in syrup.

It's weird that it seems like most people who participated in the preview notice a remarkable improvement in the dash, and those who got it on the 11th don't. Even after the 11th, my dash is (thankfully) still fast and responsive. I wonder what's going on?

I only got the dash on the 11th and it's a huuuge improvement for me. First thing I go into in marketplace now has a 10-20 second delay, after which everything is very fast - previously I'd get 3-4 minute delays on everything I went into.

Are there more than 10,000 people in the world who need more than 100 spaces on their friends list? Isn't the average something like 20 people on a friends list?

Yep, and there probably aren't many people who need more space on their list. But I'm wondering why it's limited in the first place. MSN for instance doesn't have a cap, and neither does Facebook to name but two. I'm not trying to boast or anything, but I'm on 50 Mbit broadband now, and 100 Mbit by the end of this year, and seeing as people know I'm this forum's "XBL legendary host" (proclaimed :)), I get about 2 friend requests on average, daily. Most of them I have to decline due to the cap, and that's a shame. I'm also fed up doing spring- and autumn cleans through my list, removing people due to inactivity or simply because I haven't played them in a while. The alternative silver accounts isn't a great solution either, but it works I suppose.

By the way, the marketplace and guide have become much faster for me, loading instantly. Good update for speed.

According to a “high-level Microsoft source,” the reason why we’re stuck with the cap is because of one game: Halo 2. The 5-year-old Xbox game still has a strong online community that continues to top the Xbox LIVE activity charts, but Halo 2 was built on an online system that doesn’t support more than 100 friends. Microsoft has stuck with that online architecture through the release of the Xbox 360 and it remains the same today. Because of Halo 2’s sustained popularity online, Microsoft has no idea when to pull the plug on the original Xbox LIVE system. It’s like having that old, dirty uncle living in your house. He’s nice enough and everybody seems to love the guy, but he’s clearly overstayed his welcome. And Microsoft has no idea how to gracefully kick him to the curb.

The Microsoft source also claims that they’ll be looking for gamers’ comments on the issue. So for those who absolutely, positively must have hundreds upon hundreds of friends on their list, tell Microsoft to pull the plug and stop playing Halo 2 already!

It's weird that it seems like most people who participated in the preview notice a remarkable improvement in the dash, and those who got it on the 11th don't. Even after the 11th, my dash is (thankfully) still fast and responsive. I wonder what's going on?

My guess it's due to your hardware config/drive fragmentation/mystical electronic fairies or somesuch. I got in on the 11th and the dash is much faster, mini dash about the same, maybe a hairs snappier.

According to a “high-level Microsoft source,” the reason why we’re stuck with the cap is because of one game: Halo 2. The 5-year-old Xbox game still has a strong online community that continues to top the Xbox LIVE activity charts, but Halo 2 was built on an online system that doesn’t support more than 100 friends. Microsoft has stuck with that online architecture through the release of the Xbox 360 and it remains the same today. Because of Halo 2’s sustained popularity online, Microsoft has no idea when to pull the plug on the original Xbox LIVE system. It’s like having that old, dirty uncle living in your house. He’s nice enough and everybody seems to love the guy, but he’s clearly overstayed his welcome. And Microsoft has no idea how to gracefully kick him to the curb.

The Microsoft source also claims that they’ll be looking for gamers’ comments on the issue. So for those who absolutely, positively must have hundreds upon hundreds of friends on their list, tell Microsoft to pull the plug and stop playing Halo 2 already!

Surely they should be able to patch Halo 2 to work with Live if it had over 100 friends slots.

I only got the dash on the 11th and it's a huuuge improvement for me. First thing I go into in marketplace now has a 10-20 second delay, after which everything is very fast - previously I'd get 3-4 minute delays on everything I went into.

I had the same things would take a mintue or two to load on the mp, now its almost instant.

Surely the solution to the Halo 2 problem is some kind of "opt in" system?

So you could choose whether or not to download a little patch that'll enable more than 100 friends on Live, with the warning that you will no longer be able to play Xbox Original games online if you download it.

Even better, maybe they could even have a little toggle between the two states, that automatically temporarily chops the friends list to 100 when you switch on "Xbox Originals compatibility" and restores the whole list when you turn it off again.

This must be possible, right?

As for download speeds, Trials HD crawled for me yesterday. I don't know if it's just a one-off, but before the update my download speeds were lightning quick.

Even better, maybe they could even have a little toggle between the two states, that automatically temporarily chops the friends list to 100 when you switch on "Xbox Originals compatibility" and restores the whole list when you turn it off again.

This must be possible, right?

Who on your list would it remove? How would it choose?

That's such bullshit, they've always been clear (like since it launched) about their reasons for not giving us an updated friends list, and that's because only a tiny fraction of people actually have their friends list maxed out.

Yes, you should bow down to them as an overlord. Like gamerscrore, it is a number to gain mass respect from your xbox peers. Watch them cower as they realise you have had a gold account for three years and that you have also bought a pretend lightsaber for your little pretend avatar.

And Microsoft are going to give the "veterans" freebies soon (before Christmas I am told). Not sure if the "prezzies" are scaled with how long you have been a live member or you just need to have one X years, I guess we will find out soon.

I am hoping for free "arcade classics" but it could just be a "ZUNE FUCKING ROXX!" T-Shirt for your avatar :)

On the 100 friends limit, it will just be a case of incompatibility with the older games. On one hand, its "ok move on you fuckers and spend some modern cash, why should we suffer?" but on the other, well its kind of comforting to know that the game you buy today will still be supported online for a bazillion years. Kinda.

Mine is really still bloody slow but I do think there's some thing wrong with my ISP possibly, as I also keep on losing connection to Live for no given reason (which for some reason doesn't happen to my laptop, either) the saving of my scores on Trials HD is ridiculously slow, about 2 minutes a go or something like that, it's stupid.

I might have to do the old hold down A on star up trick to see if cache clearing helps...

Mine is really still bloody slow but I do think there's some thing wrong with my ISP possibly, as I also keep on losing connection to Live for no given reason (which for some reason doesn't happen to my laptop, either) the saving of my scores on Trials HD is ridiculously slow, about 2 minutes a go or something like that, it's stupid.

I might have to do the old hold down A on star up trick to see if cache clearing helps...

I had major slowness issues recently until I reset my router*. You've probably already done that, though...

*I was more surprised it hadn't reset itself for several weeks, the bloody useless thing.

I had major slowness issues recently until I reset my router*. You've probably already done that, though...

*I was more surprised it hadn't reset itself for several weeks, the bloody useless thing.

I reset it a while ago but I'll probably try that as well, for a laugh. Thanks for the tip, it's really quite annoying. Thankfully, I haven't actually been trying much online gaming recently because it would be a pain if it conked out mid-way through something... I might even switch ISP's if it doesn't sort itself out soon enough...

Anyway, back on topic; avatar marketplace and GoD LOL

Hold A on start up only works when starting up Oblivion I think... There was a code to clear the cache when you're in the system settings but the current update makes it much easier: just go to system settings -> memory -> press Y for device options -> select 'clear cache'

And Microsoft are going to give the "veterans" freebies soon (before Christmas I am told). Not sure if the "prezzies" are scaled with how long you have been a live member or you just need to have one X years, I guess we will find out soon.

I am hoping for free "arcade classics" but it could just be a "ZUNE FUCKING ROXX!" T-Shirt for your avatar :(

I hope i havent lost out on this. I asked them to remove my credit card from my account, as i now just by the top up cards, and they did it- but downgraded my account to silver status. And then didnt send me the code to get the remaining time on my gold subscription back- until a while later.

Hold A on start up only works when starting up Oblivion I think... There was a code to clear the cache when you're in the system settings but the current update makes it much easier: just go to system settings -> memory -> press Y for device options -> select 'clear cache'

I had no idea, I thought it was for everything... no wonder it never seemed to do anything :(

Well that's a good point of the update at least then :(

I had no idea, I thought it was for everything... no wonder it never seemed to do anything :(

Well that's a good point of the update at least then :(

Pressing A when starting Obvlion only deletes it's own little data cache, not the system wide 360 cache.

Pressing A when starting Obvlion only deletes it's own little data cache, not the system wide 360 cache.

Murky buckets.

I'll give the new cache clearing thing a try, as it's quite annoying, as posted elsewhere, it just causes saving thing to take unnecessarily long at the mo and I've got 15GB of 120GB free anyway...