Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

Before the update I used to mainly start my 360 by putting a game in the disc tray and it would skip the dashboard after the Xbox logo and go straight into the game. Since the update that no longer works and it no goes into the dash first (yes, I have auto-play enabled and it set to start on disc in the settings). Anyone else having this?

No problems, everything went smoothly. I like it. It's a slight improvement on the old one. Assuming that the old one was nice. Which it was in a way I guess. I still think that the overall UI ought to be overhauled and rethought. It must be possible to come up with something better.

Avatars still can't cross-dress :(

So I will be saving some points on that Chun Li outfit then.

Also why do they still need the bottom half of the screen whited out ?

On the last version it had that big grey bit, presumably so the windows looked like they rested on it, and to help with perspective.

Now all the windows are flat they could get rid of it so you could see your background pic properly ?

Getting the update took a few tries - I too got into the "could not download update, please test connection settings"/"could not complete testing connection settings, please download update" infinite loop!

After the update my Game Library only displays the games and demos I've got installed to the HDD, not the ones I play from the disc. Halo 3 (which as we all know is something you should never, ever install!) is one example which didn't appear - booting it up solved that.

Selecting a game from your Game Library now only gives you the options to either play, install/delete, or view its Achievements. Before, it would also bring up the game's associated Marketplace page, where you could rate it, view all its related add-ons/videos/DLC, and look at its back-of-the-box info (genre, blurb, number of supported players, co-op availability, etc). You now have to manually go into the Marketplace and navigate aaaaaaallll the way to the game's entry in order to do that! :angry:

Clearly MS are trying to soften the interface and brand image of the 360, but it has neither the charm or friendliness of Nintendo, or the sex appeal of Apple's efforts. This latest transformation is bland, directionless, unfocussed and totally at odds with their core user base. It's frustrating to see MS desperately try to drag their console in the wrong direction, at the risk of alienating and confusing their dedicated users.

In use the new dash has too much motion - the bobbing and bouncing windows, fades and other unnecessary effects start to feel a bit seasick inducing after a while, and yes the large expanses of white are way too contrasty and bright. Just imagine the retina burn during a 2am sesh. The scale of everything feels way too cumbersome and makes for a clunky and tiring user experience, as well as feeling already dated. Makes you wonder how this was ever approved.

No surprises, then.

dashboard_1.jpg

blurb_xbox-360-dashboard_20080616.jpg

xbox-360-dashboard-2008_1.jpg

DashboardUpdate-Nov.jpg

I think I still like the original 360 'blade' dashboard most.

Ewww. It looks really dated and it just wasn't designed to accomodate what the service has turned into now. I dread to think what navigating the current marketplace would be like with that dashboard with all the content on there.

I think I still like the original 360 'blade' dashboard most.

I remember when the new one was touted.

"Quicker, easier to find stuff" they cried.

Somehow, it wasn't. They just added more stuff, more layers, and by making it more visual made it more difficult to understand...

Really unimpressed with this. Halo games are taking ages to find players, and flaky once in. My NAT is fine, unchanged etc. Beyond the awful looks, its just not very stable at all. Updates take ages, its slower. Not a good start.

Oh and the start up screen is plain ugly - they missed a trick not using the 360 tv advert "swoosh".

Ewww. It looks really dated and it just wasn't designed to accomodate what the service has turned into now. I dread to think what navigating the current marketplace would be like with that dashboard with all the content on there.

Well that pictures not really fair is it. The NXE pick is taken when connected to Live where the tabs are populated with content from the service and with a theme installed. The newer dash is pictured disconnected from Live without a theme.

The market place navigation was brilliant during the beta but about two weeks ago they changed it to how you see now. If you can see the beta forums on xbox.com you'll see everyone complaining about the changes they made in the run up until release. It used to be nice and easy, now it defaults to Kinect Games. I'm no conspiracy theorist but to me it looks like someone from marketing made some suggestions/demands.

As for the rest of it, well it's so much easier to use that I couldn't give a toss if the boxes are white.

Well that pictures not really fair is it. The NXE pick is taken when connected to Live where the tabs are populated with content from the service and with a theme installed. The newer dash is pictured disconnected from Live without a theme.

The market place navigation was brilliant during the beta but about two weeks ago they changed it to how you see now. If you can see the beta forums on xbox.com you'll see everyone complaining about the changes they made in the run up until release. It used to be nice and easy, now it defaults to Kinect Games. Now I'm no conspiracy theorist but to me it looks like someone from marketing made some suggestions/demands.

As for the rest of it, well it's so much easier to use that I couldn't give a toss if the boxes are white.

I was referring to Napoleon's comment that the original 360 dash is the best.

Yeah the marketplace was better laid out at the beginning of the beta, you could view everything new really quickly rather than having to keep jumping in and out of categories. Also I really wish they would stop clogging up the New Arrivals in Game Add-Ons with tracks for Rock Band and Lips.