Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

I was referring to Napoleon's comment that the original 360 dash is the best.

Yeah the marketplace was better laid out at the beginning of the beta, you could view everything new really quickly rather than having to keep jumping in and out of categories. Also I really wish they would stop clogging up the New Arrivals in Game Add-Ons with tracks for Rock Band and Lips.

God yes. That's another thing that was moaned about constantly in the beta forum yet nothing was done about it. Almost makes the whole process about getting feedback pointless.

Yes, that's one stupid feature. "New Arrivals" is pretty much useless because it will be filled with nothing but corny songs for a game I don't even own. For game addons it would make sense to only show you content for games you own anyway. I mean, it's very nice that the complete works of Rick Ashley are now available for Lips, but it's pretty insignificant as a non-Lips owner. Better present me some stuff I'm likely to buy, like that latest episode to Alan Wake which I almost missed.

the GF took one look at it (once it finished) and decreed

"It's looks childish. For children"

Then I had to explain how MS were changing their target market/audience thing, withthe release of kinect and everything.

So I made her watch the video...

4 for a pahnd, gerrcha gold memberships 4 for a pahnd!

You know, for kids?

Yes, that's one stupid feature. "New Arrivals" is pretty much useless because it will be filled with nothing but corny songs for a game I don't even own.

and this proves it:

Justin Bieber for Lips

facepalm.gif

Live is a bit wonky on the whole due to this update. I had some trouble downloading the Street Fighter II table in Pinball FX2 for example. I'm sure normal service will resume within a couple of hours/days.

Yeah, I've had issues with FIFA 11 saying my online pass is corrupt. Managed a game eventually after a few attempts.

Anyone else noticed that even the graphics in the games themselves seem brighter? Dunno if the brighter dashboard has also affected the games.

Why oh why did Microsfot bother with this!!

I guess they couldnt get Kinect to work with the old dashboard, so they really needed to simplify and slow it all down. I thought the NXE was pretty neat a few years back, people were even downloading it early, and excited. This...thing. Ugh. So another few years to wait eh. :facepalm:

My avatar's clothes didn't import properly! It's the marketplace/awards clothing stuff that seems to be affected but, rather than pretend to give a shit, I continued playing Fallout New Vegas. :wub:

My unlocked avatar items haven't transferred over either. There's just a big question mark where they're supposed to be. It's true about not giving a shit. I didn't even feel annoyed. It's reaffirmed just how little I give a fuck about avatars.

After an evening's use I'm starting to feel a little as if I'm staring into a lamp. I just downloaded an indie game, once I'd found indie games, called "Oh Noes!111!!1" or similar. 10 meg. 10 minutes, so the servers are indeed getting hammered. Then I try to run it. Update required. 27 meg. fml, as the kids are all tweeting these days. fml right in the ear.

Voice chat was previously loooooow bitrate, no compression. Now appears to be high(er) bitrate with a metric fuckton of compression. My suspicion is they can, and will, improve it again, hopefully on this console and not the next.

I like the new ESPN thing, I can watch Premiership games live.

Don't know what to make of the new theme. I wouldn't say it's for kids and it's probably cleaner, but something doesn't feel quite right.

Still, couple of hours and I won't notice it, like the last update.

They really should allow non-kinect owners, i.e most people, to switch between old and new dashboards. <_<

I dont really mind the new dash, but i prefer the old one. And as people have said it does just smack of MS 'dumbing it down' so that kinect users will be able to pretend theyre in minority report when using the dash.

About the only actual improvement i noticed was that the pop ups for friends coming online, or for achievements, is actually using a higer res icon now and doesnt look crap and jaggy anymore. Party time.

Oh and what the shit is up with the new startup animation?? Fuck that. You wouldnt have gotten sony changing the iconic PS1 startup screen or the PS2 one back in the day. The startup animation is liek the consoles identity! you cant just change it so radically!

No, that's an EA thing. Myself and others have had similar issues before the dash update. Check the FIFA forums.

No not for me, this has only happened after the update. Never happened before.

There are others on my friends list who are having exactly the same issue now.

No not for me, this has only happened after the update. Never happened before.

There are others on my friends list who are having exactly the same issue now.

Sure, but given this started before the dash update it's likely to be an EA server issue - it's not like EA don't have a pretty poor track record on this sort of stuff.

After navigating to my Hydro Thunder DLC, I can confirm that this is a focus grouped into oblivion piece of shit. I used to browse for videos and look at XBLA / indie stuff. Now I shut my eyes at the start then just cick "play game". Nice job on putting everyone off browsing your content, dicks.