Update thy 360 Dashboard

mr_rmg

What so I should take your advice and just accept the fact that even though the UI is even poorer than the last update I can still press the guide button for a Lite version of the UI.

Isn't that a bit like saying "What the fuck Mercedes, why have you made this car steer and change gear using ropes and pulleys instead of a wheel and a lever" and having them respond "Oh stop whingeing, we've put a steering wheel the size of a golf ball under the dash."

Although to get to the settings and video stuff you wanted, you just have to scroll to the right a bit on the my xbox part. And you can turn the welcome channel bit off. Same as the last dash really or didn't you use that one?

I don't mind it, it's OK. Better controls for audio playback and even some different visuals or something might have been nice too. Moving quick launch was daft though.

Welcome channel went off immediately, the other stuff I don't mind so much, some of the Inside Xbox vids are occasionally worth a watch.

It seems to take a bit longer to start though but once you're in it does move about quicker.

I generally think the bigger expanse of white half way up the screen is a bit of a shame as the nice pic I had as a background is even more obscured than it used to be. I appreciate they want to charge for themes but why can't I just have my own background? It's like Windows 7 starter all over again...

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment the Spotlight channel (which i was flicking through randomly while chatting) Has family stuff advertised. Xbox live for families and Family programming. All well and good, each one has a set of avatars depicting the family. One thing though, The "Xbox live for families" depicts a nice family with adopted / stolen children. All well and good, but the family programming shows the same wife with another family. Basically xbox live is promoting women to have two families. That woman sure likes her black men...

I've forgotten what the old dash looked like now - the new one is very similar. I don't spend enough time on the interface to really care what they do with it (as long as they don't just turn the whole thing into a picture of a slaughtered pig or something with no options or menu). I just turn it on and play a game. I don't get time to fiddle with the interface. It works and that's all I care about.

• 3 months later...

Anyone else having issues with game boxart loading on the dash. Never used to have any problems, but I notice more and more that random games don't seem to be uploading the boxart on MyXbox or on my Friends List (recent example is Bulletstorm).

Anyone else having issues with game boxart loading on the dash. Never used to have any problems, but I notice more and more that random games don't seem to be uploading the boxart on MyXbox or on my Friends List (recent example is Bulletstorm).

Not seen it happen with my own list, but a fair few friends recently played games just show up as the generic xbox logo box.

I tend to find it happening quite a lot - but it's normally because I'm playing unpopular games with small distributions. Euro imports and the like. I'm quite surprised BulletStorm hasn't had one though.

• 3 weeks later...

From Major Nelson.

I am happy to announce that we’re doing an Xbox 360 System Update Preview program for our next release, and the opportunity to sign up is now available. We are conducting an open call for US based participants* for a public preview to help us prepare for an updated Xbox 360 disc format. This is an important update as we continually strive to improve our products and we could not do so without the help of our great Xbox community. As part of the preview program, you will receive a copy of Halo: Reach along with other possible rewards.

Much like we did last year, you’ll need to visit the Microsoft Connect site from this link and sign in with your Windows LIVE ID that is connected to your Xbox LIVE Gamertag. Once you complete the survey that is presented to you, the Connect site will provide program related updates and you will receive a mail once the selection process is completed.

A couple of points before you head off to register:

- We’re looking for multiple thousands of participants, so your chances of making it in are good.

- This opportunity is open to Xbox LIVE Members in US region only*.

- To avoid any problems, read the survey carefully and double check all the information you provide.

- While both Xbox LIVE Gold and Silver members can sign up, priority will be given to Gold members in the selection process.

*Due to disc distribution limitations, this beta it will be limited to residents of the United States only.

:sherlock:

I hope they make the recent game loads a bit quicker. I seem to spend ages looking at the "spinny thing that's really the Windows egg timer" every time I try and browse my library which doesn't make sense as the games are local.

Still even with minor annoyances like that, it's still better than the PS3 dash.

Nah - there's space on the dual layer DVD's that Microsoft doesn't let the devs use. I think it's at least a couple of Gigs. I suspect it'll be them allowing that to be used.

I seem to recall a lot of that is to prevent copy protection.. as it seems that it's not very effective, they might as well ditch most of it and free up some space..