IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

9 hours ago, tonic_water said:

While we're back in the 1980s, I found this at the back of a wardrobe over the weekend. Popped a battery in it and it works perfectly after 35 years in a cupboard.

IMG-20190422-093902.jpg

Woah, that's going back some! I had one, but it wasn't as old as that and I'm 43. It was the LCD version, like this:

Texas_Instruments_LITTLE_PROFESSOR_LCD2.

15 hours ago, Treble said:

Woah, that's going back some! I had one, but it wasn't as old as that and I'm 43. It was the LCD version, like this:

Texas_Instruments_LITTLE_PROFESSOR_LCD2.

Does yours have the insane difficulty curve like mine does. Mine has four levels. Level 1 is stuff like "1*3", level 3 ramps it up a bit - "8*6". Level 4's opening gambit - "34*28".

With all the good weather at the weekend and many boot sales running on both Sunday and Monday I was hoping to read about some great finds. Are the boot sales really more or less completely dead for retro bargains now? I've not been for at least 5 years but I'm guessing there are plenty of people offloading 360 / PS3 titles for a pound a pop? What else is out there? Judging by Facebook marketplace there are a lot of people trying to shift Wii and DS bundles. 

7 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

With all the good weather at the weekend and many boot sales running on both Sunday and Monday I was hoping to read about some great finds. Are the boot sales really more or less completely dead for retro bargains now? I've not been for at least 5 years but I'm guessing there are plenty of people offloading 360 / PS3 titles for a pound a pop? What else is out there? Judging by Facebook marketplace there are a lot of people trying to shift Wii and DS bundles. 

I've had a reasonable run the last couple of weeks, last week a PS2 old style and a Gameboy Color for £9, this week a Gamecube with filthy 3rd party controller, unboxed double dash and boxed Luigi's Mansion for £8, I left a Speccy 48k at £20 as I wasn't much in the mood for one, I've got a 80 or 81 under a desk in the office alreasdy that doesn't get used.

Saturday heralded a pile of lovely GB games, 50p each, turned out to be boxes and manuals only, but they will get filled eventually, and she done them for 25p each once we discovered they were empty.

Newer stuff was about, Minecraft, Worms WMD, Rayman Legends on the PS4, all £1 each, PS Move controller £2, nothing of any magnificence, but plenty of shelf fillers, plus plenty of good walking and sunshine, I'm looking a bit more tanned and a little lighter :)

Not to mention the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL and 3DS I got last Sunday for the grand total of £50, with about 5 DS games and 3 or 4 PS3 games, just picked up a pile and asked how much they wanted, the stuff IS out there, it is just not as abundant as it used to be, to even get a sniff you need to be there when it opens and you need to fight ( figuratively ) with everyone else who is there for the same stuff, a lot more people are getting savvy with their trade ins, more are looking for games and the general drift to online, digital buying is helping the amount of stuff dwindle.

There were a load of NES titles on Sunday this week, but none were what I wanted, or cheap enough to take a punt on, between 5 and 7 pounds each, run of the mill titles, great if you didn't own them and wanted to play of course, and was nice to see them there tbh.

2 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

I remember the days you could go to any car boot sale and see a few copies of Crash Bandicoot for PS1. Haven’t seen any in ages now. It’s almost as though the entire UK supply of them was snapped up by some nutter who has them stashed away in their lock up. They were good times. 

I'm going to build a house out of them :p

On 19/04/2019 at 20:16, Bluejam said:

Never owned a 360. I’m aware of the RROD but was it sorted in later models? This one has HDMI if that makes a difference? Anything I should be aware of. And can I make it play MAME ? ;) 

Have look on the back, by the barcode. How many amps does it says, 12.1 or 14.2?

11 hours ago, bradigor said:

Gave away the C64 collection to @Bluejam today. It was nice to meet you fella.

I had a quick look in the bag (full on 80s bag) before he arrived and wow... my gaming childhood was in there. Brough back loads of memories of going to my Nan's and just going up to my uncle's room and playing on the Commodore. So crackers in there too, whether they are fondly remembered or not by the mainstream they were wonderful to me. 

Ninja 2
Altered Beast

Tetris

Outrun
Shinobi

Dynamite Dux

Hard Drivin'

and loads more!

Enjoy the collection chap!

Cheers mate. You too. Really appreciate the honour of looking after your childhood games :) There are some great titles there looking forward to playing them soon.

As I’m a full of Spectrum fanboy I’ll try and not get too upset at the lack of colour clash ;) 

2 hours ago, Bluejam said:

14.2 mate :) 

That revision is the Falcon, it was the last one prior to the very reliable Jasper. You should be ok with it, just keep lots of air flow around it and keep it horizontal.

19 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

I left a Speccy 48k at £20 as I wasn't much in the mood for one

I would have bought that off you! I've never had one before. Spotted one in a local chazza here over the winter but they wanted nearly a hundred quid for it and it was tatty.

Well after 3 boots over the long weekend I ended up with:

• xbox 360 for £3. I have a lovely boxed one already but it's not got HDMI so is a faff to connect up. Tested my 'new' one yesterday and all seems good but one day I should crack it and re-fluff its innards. Still hasn't improved my ability to use thumbsticks. I'm like a monkey who's been given a Rubicks cube to solve whenever I use one.
  • Mortal Kombat Megadrive for £4. Boxed with manual all in nice condition.
  • Classic Xbox controller for £3.50. Genuine MS one and complete with break away lead.
  • 7 vinyl albums - ZZ Top, UFO, MSG, Billy Idol and Priest for £26

Not a lot else worth bothering. Loads of PS3's but I've no interest particularly.

1 hour ago, Mr Tony said:

I would have bought that off you! I've never had one before. Spotted one in a local chazza here over the winter but they wanted nearly a hundred quid for it and it was tatty.

Sorry mate, I'm sure there will be another one at some point over the summer, the one I have here is a Spectrum +, it's lovingly stuffed in a box of bootsale tatt hidden under a desk :p