IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

2 hours ago, Parappa said:

Marketplace.  Has its own icon and area you can search for anything in specific areas.

And don't be afraid to ask people if they will post stuff. I've accumulated a good deal of bargain Minidisc stuff from some very nice people around the country. 

Be careful, though - I asked someone to post an arcade stick to me via Facebook last year. It never turned up despite their insistence that they had posted it, and there was basically nothing I could do about it because the transaction was entirely off Facebook's books, via Paypal gift.

7 minutes ago, Klatrymadon said:

Be careful, though - I asked someone to post an arcade stick to me via Facebook last year. It never turned up despite their insistence that they had posted it, and there was basically nothing I could do about it because the transaction was entirely off Facebook's books, via Paypal gift.

Too late now but never ever, ever, ever use Paypal gift to someone on FB. Always use Goods and services as you can always put a claim in if they disappear. A gift is just that, you've given it away as a present so can't expect it back and Paypal won't do a thing.

Yeah, definitely. The culture on there is completely different from something like eBay, with all of its buyer and seller protections. I'll never use it again but in case anyone does, don't operate on trust, and insist on 'goods and services' as Lorfarius says! (If they gripe that this costs them a bit, best to sack it off.)

I was trying to buy something on FB just a few weeks back.

Was chatting to the guy all fine, he sent pix, answered my questions straight away etc. 

I said ‘great, I’ll take it’. He said ‘cool, PayPal FF or Transfer?’ I said ‘sorry, I’ll only send goods and services’.

Never heard from the guy again.

After last weeks terrible show at the booty ( I spent zero pounds and pence!! ) Today I picked up:-

Mario Kart DD, Mario Power Tennis ( Contained Piglets Big adventure ), Mario Football and Outlaw Golf on the Gamecube, 2 PS3 Move controllers, a Dualshock 3, several empty Gameboy game boxes, Rebel Asault 2 on the PS1 , Space Invaders on VCS and a couple of mediocre PSP games for £15

An iPod Nano 1st Gen 2gb for £3

A DMG Gameboy, with 3 games - £23

Not a HUGE haul, but certainly worth grabbing.

On 17/10/2020 at 21:59, Mr Tony said:

received_3433608933413395.jpeg

Picked up this PC today. Could do with either a new case or a drive to put in that 5.25 bay.

Ryzen 1400 3.20Ghz CPU

16GB DDR4 2400 MHz RAM

3TB WD 7200RPM HDD

4GB Radeon R580 GPU

£50

All that for £50? where from? i must be the world's worst shopper. ive been on the look out for cheap parts and i can't find shit 

19 minutes ago, mash said:

All that for £50? where from? i must be the world's worst shopper. ive been on the look out for cheap parts and i can't find shit 

It was through Facebook, but technically I jumped the queue cause it was a friend selling. He listed for £50 and then told me, so I ripped his arm off.

On 18/10/2020 at 15:39, Goemon said:

I was trying to buy something on FB just a few weeks back.

Was chatting to the guy all fine, he sent pix, answered my questions straight away etc. 

I said ‘great, I’ll take it’. He said ‘cool, PayPal FF or Transfer?’ I said ‘sorry, I’ll only send goods and services’.

Never heard from the guy again.

I've always said I'll pay as goods and services + 3.1% (i think) to cover fees. If you don't hear from them after yet then definitely steer clear ! 

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few of my old Game Boy games while helping my Mum and Dad pack up for their (hopefully...) imminent house move.

- Kid Dracula

- Metal Gear Solid (Game Boy Colour)

- Adventure Island

- NBA Jam TE

Since I already flogged the console itself I may as well sell these too. I've popped them on eBay (all cart only but good nick) but if anyone on here would like any/all by all means consider this first refusal. Kid Dracula I know has some value to it but the rest. :huh:

42 minutes ago, friedgold said:

I found a few of my old Game Boy games while helping my Mum and Dad pack up for their (hopefully...) imminent house move.

- Kid Dracula

- Metal Gear Solid (Game Boy Colour)

- Adventure Island

- NBA Jam TE

Since I already flogged the console itself I may as well sell these too. I've popped them on eBay (all cart only but good nick) but if anyone on here would like any/all by all means consider this first refusal. Kid Dracula I know has some value to it but the rest. :huh:

I believe Metal Gear Solid is now worth a decent amount of money (seems to go for around £35 on its own) , so Id be careful about someone getting a bargain on eBay!

2 hours ago, friedgold said:

Thanks, appreciate it. Is there a better site than eBay I could ping this stuff out on that you know of? I'm gettig offers of £20 for KD despite recent sales being at a minimum £50. (Boxed at £650!)

I'd tell anyone offering you £20 for KD for quite simply " fuck off!!" it's worth double that unboxed, easily,think I got £30 or just over for MGS within the last year.

Let the auctions run ( Yes, I've just gone and looked for them :p ) You'll get a decent price for them, I've had a cheeky bid on KD ;)

On 10/10/2020 at 19:11, Vespa Alex said:

The two original trilogies are both great, but the quality drops off rapidly when it opens up to other authors.

I used to love them, I guess I had about 60 of them all in all. In hindsight, most of them weren't great. But I'm still pondering whether I should rebuy them all...

• 2 weeks later...

Not video games, but I found a stack of fighting fantasy books in a charity shop. I loved them when I was younger so looking forward to a nostalgic trip. They aren’t the original ones but the most recent reprints I think. I got the first 10 of what is called ‘series 2’ which isn’t the same order as the originals.

I used to have a decent collection when I was younger, and some of the original ones fetch a high price! Alas, they all went to the charity shop at some point