IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

This morning's boot yielded quite a lot of nice electronics, not much gaming hardware bar a very random find at the bottom of a bag.

An official Atari branded Jaguar S-Video cable. How weird. Wish it was a Scary cable though.

Also found a HD DVD player, Freesat box, Linux based satellite box and a Brand new joytech Xbox 360 Component video switcher.

Also found a cheap Chinese android TV (T95X2) box which I remembered could be modded to run Emuelec, installed it earlier so now I've a nice little emulator box with 4gb ram and quad core CPU. Tempted to use it as the basis of a mini arcade machine

Sent about £65 all in. Few cables and random bits as well that I needed.

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

Best I ever got from one was a Mega Drive 2 for a tenner years ago, and yet I can't help but check every time I pass one.

Similarly, I got an OG MD and half a dozen games for £15 about a decade ago. 

I've stopped looking. I don't need any more stuff and I wouldn't sell anything I got... 

2 hours ago, Spartan said:

This morning's boot yielded quite a lot of nice electronics, not much gaming hardware bar a very random find at the bottom of a bag.

An official Atari branded Jaguar S-Video cable. How weird. Wish it was a Scary cable though.

Also found a HD DVD player, Freesat box, Linux based satellite box and a Brand new joytech Xbox 360 Component video switcher.

Also found a cheap Chinese android TV (T95X2) box which I remembered could be modded to run Emuelec, installed it earlier so now I've a nice little emulator box with 4gb ram and quad core CPU. Tempted to use it as the basis of a mini arcade machine

Sent about £65 all in. Few cables and random bits as well that I needed.

I have a jaguar Scary cable somewhere in the office, no Jaguar, so if you want it we can sort something out, provided I can find it again, I put it "somewhere safe" !!

Boot sales have been a mixed bag, I've been doing the nearish Saturday one, social distancing is a thing of the past there, do see maybe 20% of people wearing masks, and early doors it's a lot of older folk, 50'2+ doing the rounds, so I think most will have had at least the first jab.

The Sunday one was better, one way system and more distancing, but by the time I left last week, around 8:40 something, it was heaving and I suspect distancing was out, more reason to be on my way away from there.

Picked up a few bits today:-

Wii Console and around 15 games, including MK, Mario PArty 9, Galaxy 1&2, DKC:Returns, Wii Sports , Sonic Racing and some other fluff, plus 2 DS Lite's, one with a broken hinge, plus 6 unboxed DS Games including Pokemon Explorers of the Sky, whole lot ws £20.

6 PS3 games - Sonic Unleashed, Modnation racers, Sega Superstars Tennis, Lego batman 3, Beijing 2008 & FIFA 18 - £6

Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort & GTA : Liberty City  for the PSP - £3

Oh, and the complete "Cracker" collection on DVD, fanied watching it again.

Spotted at this morning’s boot - a boxed Atari 2600jr with a few loose carts. Didn’t get it, the 2600 is past my nostalgia horizon, but the packaging was mint.

Also spotted a Quickshot-branded old PC game port multi-tap - never knew those existed! I wonder how many games supported them?

I bought a few CDs, some children’s books (including Tintin and the Picaros for 50p), and had a nice walk. 

1 hour ago, MagicalDrop said:

@Spartan thanks for sharing. How are you finding the boot sales in Covid times? Any caution amongst buyers or sellers? Any new protocols? I'm itching to get out there but really want to wait for my second jab (and warmer early mornings tbh). 

Absolutely zero social distancing at the one running in Cardiff by the vast majority but there's still a lot of people being sensible and masks work by most buyers. It's spoilt by the idiots but I wont go into the crowds diving into cars, even before covid, it's my one rule. I hang back and come back around when it's quieter. I'm hoping the other boots I go to will be better run when they restart.

I'm 4 weeks past my second jab so I'm in a privileged position for my age (38) compared to most.  

I'm camping out tonight using my Rab sleeping bag, gonna be doing my best dawn of the dead impression to car booters when they drive in, Covid or not, the sheer elation of one-upmanship when bagging an imported copy of Breath of Fire III for 50p can't be beat. 

13 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Usually not — bear in mind that even at that time, not every publisher wanted early screenshots everywhere, or presumed that everyone had decent online access to grab them. Throwing them on a press disc allowed them to track exactly which shots went where, limit their use and so on. 

I recall once going through that terrible-smelling CEX branch off Oxford St in London, and it was *packed* with press copies of all sorts of games, all proclaiming that they weren’t in fact for sale.

Probably coincidental that one of the main offices of the company that owns IGN was just down the block, right?

Future, Dennis and Cybernet offices were all just round the corner, and I have many fond memories of people grabbing fistfuls of promo discs to take down to that very CEX on Rathbone Place, in exchange for drinking money. They’d only give you a couple of quid cash for the promo games, even though they usually hadn’t even come out yet. I suspect most of them found their way into the CEX staff members personal collections, but I’m sure a few slipped onto the shelves too. 

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

Future, Dennis and Cybernet offices were all just round the corner, and I have many fond memories of people grabbing fistfuls of promo discs to take down to that very CEX on Rathbone Place, in exchange for drinking money. They’d only give you a couple of quid cash for the promo games, even though they usually hadn’t even come out yet. I suspect most of them found their way into the CEX staff members personal collections, but I’m sure a few slipped onto the shelves too. 

I always felt that was on the iffy side, journalist ethics-wise, but it certainly happens. One person notorious for doing it in my immediate circle got shouted at repeatedly by PR folks for doing it, kept on doing so, and so they ended up sending him discs with manuals scrawled on, discs likewise to make them less resellable (esp. for games that weren't yet out!)

5 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

I always felt that was on the iffy side, journalist ethics-wise, but it certainly happens. One person notorious for doing it in my immediate circle got shouted at repeatedly by PR folks for doing it, kept on doing so, and so they ended up sending him discs with manuals scrawled on, discs likewise to make them less resellable (esp. for games that weren't yet out!)

To be fair, the job paid absolutely abysmally (£9k a year) and back then it was unofficially tolerated as a way to make up people’s pay - was very much the same with music journos at the time too. 

I used to cart bagloads of promo games and even hardware into that CEX to sell, too. Didn't want to use my own membership unless it turned out it was somehow illegal (technically I guess I was stealing them from my own company, where they'd been sent for review. Even though we didn't actually review games...) So I'd just pay some chump who happened to be in the shop a fiver to sell them for me. 

For some reason we got loads and loads of Sega stuff, like probably everything Sega released at the time, hardware and software. This was Dreamcast days, so I guess they had a huge PR push at the time and were happy to send the games to just about anyone, and then didn't even check whether they were actually being reviewed!

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

To be fair, the job paid absolutely abysmally (£9k a year) and back then it was unofficially tolerated as a way to make up people’s pay - was very much the same with music journos at the time too. 

For sure -- while "ethics in games journalism" has an entirely different (and horrible) usage these days, the way that the media industry used to (and still does) absolutely exploit young writers into writing valuable copy for essentially nothing is incredibly exploitative and ethically wrong. By comparison, selling off a few promo discs is small beer.

There's still some slippery slope action (or perception thereof) within the whole idea of selling off review gear (do you keep a given company on the good side because you can then easily sell things, etc...)... but I'm getting off the point of this thread now!

So in return, today I won an auction for a SNES Mouse and copy of Mario & Wario for the equivalent of 67p from Japan. Going to bundle it in with some other stuff I'm already getting sent to me, so that's basically all it'll cost. Now all I need to do is find a copy of King Arthur's World...

snesmouse.jpg.adda3b7161af9c6c94beb935d57e6bfe.jpg

11 minutes ago, loathsomeleopard said:

For sure -- while "ethics in games journalism" has an entirely different (and horrible) usage these days, the way that the media industry used to (and still does) absolutely exploit young writers into writing valuable copy for essentially nothing is incredibly exploitative and ethically wrong. By comparison, selling off a few promo discs is small beer.

There's still some slippery slope action (or perception thereof) within the whole idea of selling off review gear (do you keep a given company on the good side because you can then easily sell things, etc...)... but I'm getting off the point of this thread now!

Nah, there was no incentive to butter them up, as they had to send you the promos regardless of whether you were nice about the games or not. There was no real internet back then, and games mags were pretty much the only game in town. 

If anything it’s way worse now, with games companies preferring to work with ‘influencers’ who have no ethical code or training whatsoever. 

58 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Wetherby car boot this morning.pretty shit. I was after a dsi or Dsbut not a sniff. Got splinter cell blacklist and conviction for a quid though. 

There's usually a plentiful supply of DSs on Facebook Marketplace. Sold one myself on there yesterday. 

I've never really understood why in the games collector's market, promo games are seen as having significantly less value than the retail version even though it's rarer, yet usually promo versions of music - cd/vinyl are worth more than the retail version because it is rarer.

2 minutes ago, Tonald Drump said:

I've never really understood why in the games collector's market, promo games are seen as having significantly less value than the retail version even though it's rarer, yet usually promo versions of music - cd/vinyl are worth more than the retail version because it is rarer.

Dunno about that, I once came across a promo of MGS, from a charity shop, for £1, thought yeah, this is a nice interesting thing.. then it sold for £100!!

That was a good few years ago now, probably more than that now, oh, and Silent Hill 3 promo, that done stupid numbers on an auction, may have been heading towards £200, that was definitely a good 6yrs + ago though, certain promo's do go for more, not prepared to see how much my FF 8 is worth though, despite falling out of love with FF in recent years, and 8 being my least loved of the PS1 era, it's still not being parted with, something about a promo give's it that extra air of scarecity, so yeah, by all rights they should be worth more all round, weird it's only some of them.

Well this sucks, Welsh gov has classed boot sales as mass gathering events and has therefore blocked loads from reopening until Wales reaches Level 1. 

Therefore most of the boots around me won't reopen until July at the earliest. Still doesn't explain how the one I've been too is open unless it's slipped under the radar as technically it calls itself a market for 1 day of the week (runs 3 times a week). Another small boot is reopening in 2 weeks but I'll believe that when I see it now. 

Everything else over the border is reopening this week. Ross, Coleford and Madley are about 40 mins from me.

MUD is alright, half decent quad game if I remember right, it could be bikes, but either way, it was kinda fun.

I grabbed beyond Good & Evil - Xbox - £1, GTA 5 360 - £1, Dragon Quest IX Box with The Grinch game inside - DS - £2 & some sweets / fudge / easter eggs - 3 for £1 x2 lots... waste of fucking time!

Found a few things today

Everything works apart from the Dual Shock 3, which is official. The USB port looks a bit battered and a pin out of place so I’ll see if I can fix that. Was only £2.

Other things

GBA sp £15 with game and charger 

DS lite £4

Leap Pad ultimate and game £10 (for my daughter!)

DS and GBA chargers £5 for 3

Boss tuner £1

Overall, not too bad

49655FAD-9CE7-4212-9CC2-EBBBD218BCC4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...