IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

1 minute ago, yakumo said:

Is this normal during this period?.

\yeah, it gets cold and wet, plus dark, kinda puts a hold on them, charity shops are still an option though, but for everyones info British Heart Foundation now have a policy where ALL video games HAVE to get sent to eBay now!!

That sucks, BHF were usually pretty good for games.

Seems like a silly policy to me. For every valuable game they have donated they'll get 20 copies of FIFA or Just Dance. I sometimes used to pick those up for a quid, just as donor cases, but I won't bother ordering them from ebay.

2 minutes ago, JamesC said:

That sucks, BHF were usually pretty good for games.

Seems like a silly policy to me. For every valuable game they have donated they'll get 20 copies of FIFA or Just Dance. I sometimes used to pick those up for a quid, just as donor cases, but I won't bother ordering them from ebay.

Well yes, it is annoying, I mean, all they NEED to do is do a quick search online for sold prices, then stick them up in the shop for that, instead, all I see is large job lots of BHF doing auctions on eBay.

I popped in on Sunday, when I was taking my Nan to get her booster, and was told by a member of staff that this was their policy now, which is shit :(

39 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

Well yes, it is annoying, I mean, all they NEED to do is do a quick search online for sold prices, then stick them up in the shop for that, instead, all I see is large job lots of BHF doing auctions on eBay.

I popped in on Sunday, when I was taking my Nan to get her booster, and was told by a member of staff that this was their policy now, which is shit :(

I can understand why, Ebay is such an easy place to sell them instead of the items just sitting there in shops. Plus they're probably aware that games have more intrinsic value now and more sought after so can easily fetch more. I feel you're pain though Mike.

1 hour ago, yakumo said:

I can understand why, Ebay is such an easy place to sell them instead of the items just sitting there in shops. Plus they're probably aware that games have more intrinsic value now and more sought after so can easily fetch more. I feel you're pain though Mike.

It's just infuriating, as it means I have to bid on the same shit I would normally buy, but end up with sodding FIFA's all the time as well 😛

Roll on March I say, so I can get back out to booting properly, this year had unexpected drains on my enthusiasm for getting up early and hunting through other peoples rubbish, and should hopefully be nearer to the larger ones by the time they restart :) 

2 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

There's a couple of 360's one of the local shops. Console only, £35 each. Yeah, no thanks.

Once you throw in P+P that's about what they go for on eBay. Problem with it these days they are crap for selling as they just take way too much fees and P+P has gone through the roof.

I've resorted to hunting down trading cards to give me the fix I used to get from car boots and retro finds. I'd love to see some kind of statistic showing the number of posts per year in this thread to guage just how much things have slowed down in the last decade.

13 minutes ago, filecore said:

I kept a diary of what I found when I was a fresh faced eighteen year old in 1998.  It's super cringey to read back (as a 41 year old) but in 1998 I worked on odd days at an insurance broker in Ellesmere Port on the Wirral. I present to you. 22nd June 1998:

I don't normally work on Monday, but I had to make up for a day. And on Monday, near where I work is a Flea market! I went first at 8am and picked up a Bomb Sweeper G+W, Donkey Kong JR G+W, Octopus G+W and a copy of PB's Death Star Battle for the 2600 (£1). I then went back at Lunchtime, and found 3 more double screen G+W's: Green House, Zelda and Donkey Kong. Not a bad day at all! 

I have a diary from High Scool... it's just full of what game  I traded for what other game 😛 Should dig it out again really, circa '94/95 .

24 minutes ago, filecore said:

I kept a diary of what I found when I was a fresh faced eighteen year old in 1998.  It's super cringey to read back (as a 41 year old) but in 1998 I worked on odd days at an insurance broker in Ellesmere Port on the Wirral. I present to you. 22nd June 1998:

I don't normally work on Monday, but I had to make up for a day. And on Monday, near where I work is a Flea market! I went first at 8am and picked up a Bomb Sweeper G+W, Donkey Kong JR G+W, Octopus G+W and a copy of PB's Death Star Battle for the 2600 (£1). I then went back at Lunchtime, and found 3 more double screen G+W's: Green House, Zelda and Donkey Kong. Not a bad day at all! 

Bloody hell, how times have changed.

6 minutes ago, MikeBeaver said:

I have a diary from High Scool... it's just full of what game  I traded for what other game 😛 Should dig it out again really, circa '94/95 .

I just look back and wince.  27th June 1999. Found Shining Force CD (pound I think) at Chester Rugby club car boot. Had no interest in Mega CD so would have let it go for next to nothing.    All this is preserved on archive.org!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2021 at 12:21, Azrael said:

Anyone attending Glasgow Video Game Market on the 20th? Was thinking about popping along but don't know how good it'll be 

Went to this today,  was pretty good but not as busy as usual- one trader mentioned a lot of others from the South couldn't come for some combination of covid/fuel costs/weather 

Still a lot of stuff available and I wish I could have bought it all. Ended up only spending £40 getting Mario Golf and Mario Tennis for GC 

Bugger in Glasgow for a few days and didn't realise this was on. Went the Barras and bought some new vinyl from a great stall with albums 2 for £10. Got Ben Frost, Murcof and my favourite Cavern of Anti Matter. 

A few of my locals shutdown due to covid, hoping they return next year. I used to have at least 3 to go to over a weekend all year round and up to 6 over the spring summer months some weekends. 

I've just the 1 for now on Saturdays. 

Gaming finds were slim, nice minty dual shock 3 for £4, mini Wii for £13, 3 Kindle fire HD tablets and 2 kindle ereaders for £25 and a vintage 1987 Boss bass pedal for £5. Random 8bitdo remote for an Xbox series X for £5 also

Slim pickings given the weather at the boot.

Ps Vita Slim for £40, came with an 8gb memory card and Minecraft cart. Selling the cart off so I'll have paid roughly 30 for it. Happy with that. 

Found max payne xbox as it's now backwards compatible in crime converters for £1, now to find it's sequel and not get gouged. 

I got Action Replay for PS2 with mem card for £1, a load of Wishbone Ash LPs for £20 and the best find were some sealed Panasonic DVD-RAM discs. 

Sad tale, at Oxford, one of the market trader vans was waiting to get in, and it set on fire, the fella sold lighter fluid and vaping stuff, so it was like a fireball, luckily no-one hurt but right opposite a vaccination centre. 

Picked up a dualshock 4 that needed new sticks for £10, luckily I had a spare set. Guy threw in another broken dualshock I'll try resurrecting. 

Kindle Fire HD for £5 (what is it with the kindles lately...)

Found a sonic the hedgehog control pad holder with a broken off nose. Moulded a bit of black sugru I had laying around and he's got a new one. Daughter loves it.

Random guy went up to my brother and offered him a console out of a bag he'd just bought as he knew we buy them and he had no leads or pads and couldn't be bothered to source them.

Pulled out a 500GB White PS3 super slim and said £10. Brother passed but I nabbed it. It just needed a little TLC to get the panels to stay on properly and a damn good scrub. Ordered an official foot plate off Amazon for £6 and it's working great now in my office

Really wasn't feeling it this morning but dragged myself down to the boot.

£62 in all got me

Xbox one s and controller (seller told me it was faulty, his photo of the error suggested a duff drive and sure enough, it was. Stuffed a 1tb in it now and rebuilt it)

3 faulty dualshock 4 pads, handy for spares but I've had luck repairing a few. I think at least 2 are knockoffs.

Horipad wired switch controller in a box.

Old External SCSI Hard drive, looks to be from an old Apple, see if it will work on my Amiga or ST.

360 WiFi adaptor

Spiderman friend or foe for PS2, cod MW2 disc and NFS carbon of 360 discs for £3

Another bloody kindle

Whilst rooting around in the loft looking for a few bits I found my old officially branded purple GameCube inflatable chair, something that came thrown in with the console bundle we bought.

Pumped it up and man, it's ghastly.

I've never been collector of video game promo items / toys to etc but remember keeping this curio because, you know, you can sit on it.

14 hours ago, spanky debrest said:

Whilst rooting around in the loft looking for a few bits I found my old officially branded purple GameCube inflatable chair, something that came thrown in with the console bundle we bought.

Pumped it up and man, it's ghastly.

I've never been collector of video game promo items / toys to etc but remember keeping this curio because, you know, you can sit on it.

Is it one of those where sitting on it is like trying to tame a bunch of balloons and failing?