IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

First one of 2022 and I learn that the boot is shutting down for good in March as the council has bought the land, ffs. Quite gutted as it's my little bit of time to myself and I've been going for years.

Looks like my boots will strictly be a Sunday summer affair from now on. 

Picked up the following

PS3 320gb £15

Xbox 360 slim with pad £10

Earforce 70x Headset, 360 wired pad in need of a new wire, dab handheld radio, akg headphones £5 the lot

This morning's bounty, candid grubby photo below

PS3 fatty with sixaxis controller £15 (works!)

PS2 that needs some tinkering (sticky drive and missing front) £2

360 50 cent blood on the sand, GTA v, assassin's creed heritage collection and GTA v on PS3 £7 the lot

Various new pc accessories off the Amazon return seller - SSD / sata enclosures, usb c dongles - £10 the lot

Seagate 2tb external drive still in its box £5

Kindle £1

Samsung 3d blu ray player + a load of leads and turtle beach headphones - £5

MAudio USB keystation £3

Ancient Toshiba T1300e/40 286 based portable desktop £4 (bloody thing works, lovely orange gas plasma screen)

IMG_20220115_225042.jpg

Popped into a little second hand shop near the local high street yesterday and came out with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones, both on PS2 for £1 and 50p respectively. Both complete and in good condition.
I also got Point Blank for PS1 but that was a bit pricier at £15. Still seems a reasonable price for a complete copy.

I'm looking forward to giving the Price of Persia games a go as I missed out in them first time around (I couldn't afford a PS2). I think they look really fun.
It blows my mind that you can pick up perfectly decent games for 50p.

For anyone interested, this is the Tosh running the opening of Prince of Persia. The rolling black bar is unfortunately a quirk of my phone camera interacting with the screens refresh rate, couldn't overcome it for now but you can see and hear it running, it's not visible in real life. I'll try and add bubble bobble and some more when I get the time

Running Prince of Persia

@SpartanI used to have one of those as my work laptop (had a desktop as well obvs.) I loved it, I used to do simple vector 3d programming on it in my own time (just for fun).

Somebody nicked from my cupboard at work (after hours). Didn't have a backup of my code :doh:

Annnndd....the screens died. Aaargh. I could sense it was getting a bit warm last night and sure enough, the screen has gone off and won't come back on whilst I was copying some floppies over to the HDD. Sounds like everything else is working so its probably a cap on the PSU or driver board. Simple enough fix but I've not got the time ATM so will come back to it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Quiet one yesterday due to the weather but snagged a PS4 500gb console on its own for £35, works great and Ive a spare pad to use with it. Found a pair of 360 pads for £6 and a 7600GT 512MB AGP graphics card for £2 that needs some new caps to work again. Seems to be worth a bit from eBay listings.

Annoyingly missed out on Yakuza Dead Souls for the PS3 as one of the dealer's had snatched it up seconds before I got to the store. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Girth Certificate said:

if you do take one do a quick video of you opening it up. I bet the hinge makes exactly the noise I have in my head

in my head it’s accompanied by

I really enjoy this thread, thank you to everyone that has contributed. It seems covid ruined the car boot sales a bit.

does anyone know of any similar threads on other forums that are about finds like these?

1 hour ago, Ftsthe said:

I really enjoy this thread, thank you to everyone that has contributed. It seems covid ruined the car boot sales a bit.

does anyone know of any similar threads on other forums that are about finds like these?

They're only really now starting up again for the year, last year was pap, but alhough I've only been o one this year so far, I am optimistic ( currently ) that there will be some choice finds :)

2 hours ago, Ftsthe said:

While the American scene is very different, I heartily recommend the LGR Thrifts videos by Lazy Game Reviews on YouTube. That was my vicarious car boot fodder during lockdown. Perfectly catches the mixture of treasure, tat and interesting stuff that you look at but don’t buy.

One of the UK retro YouTubers (can’t remember the name) tried something similar at car boots, but it was kind of awkward and derivative at the same time. 

17 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

I found a fat PS2 in a carrier bag in my garage at the weekend. I have literally no idea where it came from. 

I recently rationalised my office and put a lot of consoles in the loft. Along the way, I found a Wii and an N64 that I forgot I had.