IGNORED

Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

I've been drowning in cheap 360's lately at my local boot, had a few red ringers but I've been brushing up my skills on repairing a few, some successful, some not. As a result I have a mountain of pads and crappy games I'm working through that I'm dumping in CEX for credit. Its paying for itself mostly and keeps my mind off the world, plus I can get my hands on some titles and hardware cheaper this way off CEX, gaming's taken a backseat to raising a kid and my wife's health issues the last few months.

I had to sell off the Toshiba luggable to hopefully someone with more skills than me that can repair its PSU. Did want to keep it for my daughter to try when she's older but needs must.

£25 Xbox one s off a dealer "it works".

Of course it doesn't. Black screen on boot.

But it does boot up in safe mode so likely just needs a new HDD or OS reinstalled.

Update : Dead harddrive as suspected. Pity as it was a 1TB, ripped it open and fitted a spare 500GB I had laying around. Reinstalled the OS and it's working great so far.

Picked up these two earlier. Rez was €8 and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 was €12.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 isn’t in the best condition but i’ve been after it for a reasonable price for a while, so very pleased overall.

FA848F9C-0633-428A-A4F3-9FA13F630D82.png

Another Xbox slim s yesterday. 250gb model with a kinect and a bunch of games for 25 quid. Wii fit and board for £5 to throw in with an old Wii I want shot off. Eufy robovac in need of a new battery for £10 Thursday. (Mr Bezos provided me with one cheap the next day).

Ground has been broken at the site so it's going to close soon, no more local Saturday or winter boots soon, end of an era for me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a few good finds recently. A mint Gregory Horror Show with memory card in the box from Oxfam for £2, a lovely battery powered Sony condenser microphone from a car boot sale for £1, and today a PS3 slim from a skip that works fine!

36 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

Today at the sainsburys recycling point I spotted a 28” Sony widescreen dvb crt. It had been out overnight and rained on so I unfortunately left it. 

Surely just letting it dry out would have been fine, no? My TV in the offcie is a tiny Toshiba thing my Mum used to have on top of the wardrobe, it sat out in the rain for 2 nights before I saw it, let it dry out and, at least 4 years later.... it's still working!

47 minutes ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I told my wife about it and she made it very clear I made the right choice leaving it behind. 

Surely you can't just take stuff too I thought?

Few bits n bobs today.

started our with a Switch OLED, boxed with MK 8 DX, minecraft and a power A controller for £230, so I’ll be having a normal switch to hawk soon enough 😂

couple if PS2 boxed official, wireless guitar hero guitars, pretty sure they’re unused!

various other games , just fodder.

360 slim for £10.

an Amiga 520 modulator, n64 jumper pack, just random stuff all over.

mate brought me some faulty handhelds, 3ds and a new 3ds xl, so they’ll be getting repaired in the week.

all in all, a good day booting ☺️

They were the bane of my life in the Amiga days. If they fell out the back of the Amiga and you plugged it back in without powering the machine down, they’d be prone to getting shorted and end up as useless bricks. We must have blown at least four.

As the Amiga era went on and Commodore stopped making them, they got really hard to find and we had to drive to Evesham Micros to buy third-party versions. 

What drives me nuts years later is that my dad evidently didn’t have a clue that the Amiga 500 could natively output RGB Scart, and our TVs had Scart sockets. He could have just bought an RGB cable when the first one blew and we’d have enjoyed a better display signal and no more headaches. 

More joy this morning.

gba color and Mario one £15 being the best of the bunch, loads of just random filler bits, but filled a bag with it.

oh, and an Atari 2609 junior with psu for £5…. Now I need an afternoon in the pub 😂

Few video game finds the last 2 days, Fat PS2 for £8 (works great), white dual shock 4 V2 for £5, dealer said it was faulty and sure enough had a dodgy analogue stick, quick swap out and it's working fine. Found an original Xbox one controller today for £9, also works great. Random non video game finds, fit bit blaze watch for £3, a commercial hand dryer for £1 (Yes, a £1, worth about £70) and a very heavy cast  wok for £2, looks to be worth a fair bit too.

Those Amiga TV modulators used to come bundled with the computer, with the L/H switch in the wrong position. You got no sound unless you flicked the switch and you needed a pin or screwdriver to do it.  Part of my job at the time was to open ever Amiga Batman pack and flick that switch. 

Went to my first boot this year on Sunday. Somewhat disappointing, I always feel bank holiday boots attract more private sellers but that wasn't the case. Came away empty handed but did see:

Atari ST magazines complete with cover discs. I don't need the clutter so left those although a decent, rarish find.

Trader with dozens of retro games, N64, mega drive etc. All heavily sun bleached.

Couple of og Xbox and Wii. I have these already so moved on.

C64 and Amiga power transformer / footwarmer. The Amiga one was heavily yellowed and I doubted it would work.

The one thing I did consider was a home made Retropi setup in a 2 player pedestal unit (just needed plugging into a TV). £50 and I was tempted to get it to replace the full sized arcade cabinet I sold last year but reality (where do I have a spare screen, where will it live) prevailed. 

All I really wanted was a cheap older kindle for reading on the beach but nearest thing was a nook (remember those kids)?

Not seen adverts for a BH Monday one locally so had a lie in instead.

On 14/04/2022 at 19:34, Ninja Doctor said:

It’s at the local sainsburys not a proper recycling centre. Anything there is fair game. 

Technically it's still theft to take something like that. Theft by finding, in fact. However, the chances of getting into any kind of trouble for it are slim in this instance. The way I've had it explained is that you gave to take reasonable steps to find out who the owner is and ask them if you can have it. Same thing that says you can't just take stuff out of a skip. 

17 hours ago, MikeJ said:

My dad: "The boat club found a load of old computers in their loft, do you want them?"

The "old computers":

IMG_0950.jpeg

That keyboard could be worth something, you know!

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

That keyboard could be worth something, you know!

It is indeed. Somehow it survived being at the bottom of a box under all the other smashed up junk and another destroyed tower (not pictured). 

DSC_1362.thumb.JPG.ac48baaab572f43aa4d542e2a9adf6b5.JPG

Picked up a few games from the Heart Foundation on my lunch break.

Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - £3

Street Fighter X Tekken - £6

Crysis 2 - £2

Nothing mind blowing but I'm sure I'll get my £11 worth of fun out of them, plus all the money goes to charity. They're all in lovely complete condition too.