Car boots, charity shops and amazing retro finds from your loft

Cecil Kay

Picture002.jpg

SNES with Mario All Stars - complete, but power pack is dead (I REALLY need to learn how to fix these buggers) £5

Nice Nintendo RF switch, there :)

Never seen a Wonderswan Colour game anywhere, ever, let alone at a Car Boot. Bit of a coup there - do you have a console to go with it?

looked a bit on the grey side this morning, but I risked it :).

PS1:

Bloody Roar2, Batman & Robin, Animal Snap, Puchi Carat (boxed with controler), Need for Speed: Road Challenge, Gunfighter: The legend of Jesse James, Heart of Darkness (finally got one with the 3D Glasses), Rocket Power Team Rocket Rescue, Smackdown.

Mega Drive:

The Adventures of Batman & Robin, Crueball, RoboCop Vs Terminator,Gain Ground (jap), Blockout (jap), Phantom 2040

PS2:

PS2 with Network Adapter, Wipeout Fusion, Bombastic, Detonator, Ninja Assault, Psyvariar

Game Boy: Paperboy

Wonder Swan: Gunpey Ex

you have to state prices :(

Never seen a Wonderswan Colour game anywhere, ever, let alone at a Car Boot. Bit of a coup there - do you have a console to go with it?

Yes, I did a double take when I saw it, I got it on the same stall as the two Japanese MD games. There was a stack of other (non Japanese) MD, SNES and SMS games along side. They were being sold by a guy while his wife/girlfriend looked on. I could sense this feeling of heavy reluctance when he handed them over ;) but I could have just imagined it.

I picked up a Wonderswan Colour on Ebay a couple of years ago along with one game. I've been keeping an eye out on Ebay for other WS games, but all the english language ones seemed to be going for just that little bit too much for my pocket. Never thought I'd ever see one at the boot :ph34r:

you have to state prices :D

Ooooh you like the dirty details don't you, Hmmmm, yeah, Hmmm. ;)

PS1:

Bloody Roar2, £1

Batman & Robin, £1

Animal Snap, £1

Puchi Carat (boxed with controler), £1

Need for Speed: Road Challenge, 50p

Gunfighter: The legend of Jesse James, £1

Heart of Darkness (finally got one with the 3D Glasses), £1

Rocket Power Team Rocket Rescue, £1

Smackdown Free with the PS2 :ph34r: (as I wouldn't have paid money for it otherwise)

Mega Drive:

The Adventures of Batman & Robin, £1

Crueball, £3

RoboCop Vs Terminator, £2

Gain Ground (jap), £3

Blockout (jap), £3

Phantom 2040 £1

PS2:

PS2 with Network Adapter, £20

Wipeout Fusion, Bombastic, Detonator, Ninja Assault, Psyvariar £2 each

Game Boy: Paperboy £2.50

Wonder Swan: Gunpey Ex £5

Paradigm was down this weekend for a night on the town, and as we both found ourselves suffering far less from the previous night's drinking we decided to hit one of the local booters.

The place was massive, and even though there were a fair number of stalls selling gaming stuff the quality was so poor that I didn't buy anything.

I almost wet myself when I saw an Amiga 1200, but after closer inspection, not only was it sun faded, but it had some sort of manky substance between all the keys. I didn't even bother to find out how much it was.

Apart from that there were loads of crappy condition Playstations, a few grubby SNES' and Megadrives, and mounts of rubbish EA Sports titles.

Disappointment/10

What is SRS HAX btw? :(

Serious hacks I.E. the autistic weirdos you see in YouTube and Appreciate vids, playing 2 player mode Ikaruga by themselves and S-ranking the whole game without losing a life :)

Naturally having spent most of their adult life memorising the attack patterns instead of something more productive like getting laid, they tend to be a bit anal about the most minor alterations :(

Serious hacks I.E. the autistic weirdos you see in YouTube and Appreciate vids, playing 2 player mode Ikaruga by themselves and S-ranking the whole game without losing a life :)

Naturally having spent most of their adult life memorising the attack patterns instead of something more productive like getting laid, they tend to be a bit anal about the most minor alterations :)

Thanks ^^

I have a great video of Sonic 3 & Knuckles being completed from a ROM image. Speed run - takes around 20 minutes to complete both games. Amazing stuff. Going to check out the Ikaruga one - I must say, it is nice to watch sometimes, like art.... but I am sure as hell glad I am not spending time trying to do that kind of thing.

Bought way too much stuff today, picks of which:

An xbox with 20 odd games (sniper elite, black, battlefield being the picks, no sports games at all) £40

Bunch of big box pc games (civ III, imperium galactica II, total annhilation) and so other PC games (curse of monkey island, morrowing goty) 40p each.

Had a high street shopping spree on Friday. highlights were splinter cell double agent on GC for £5, choroQ PS2 £2, grand prix 4 £3, gtr 2 £6

Oh and lol of the week to 2 PS1 games from gamestation on BOGOF £0.05. Yes that's right 2.5 pence each. I think it was italian job and football madness, I only bought them for the cases which are in good condition.

I dragged myself along to our local carboot this morning... first time this year. Didn't buy anything although I was tempted by a bloke selling a Vectrex and some games for £20. I've never seen one before, but it was kinda bulky. I had the dog with me and it was a 20 minute walk back home so I didn't bother, but after looking on eBay, I kinda wish I had :P

Other than that, I only saw a couple of PSOnes and a Dreamcast with some crappy games. Try again next week...

£20 and you didn't get it?! I would have bitten his ruddy arm off!

And the rest of him. Still, having a dog in tow would make carrying a chunky Vectrex quite difficult - I have visions of my dog dragging me off in one direction while it crashed to the ground!

a part of me hates sharing this information: but anyone in belfast, there is a great booter in dunnes stores on the crumlin road... Probably the best one i've seen in northern ireland.

I'm in half a mind to order a shitload of ds flashcards and flog them for a fortune at it...

You're being too nice to him. He needs to be made to feel as guilty as possible for passing that beauty up :wub:

:wub:

It's a system I don't really know anything about, so it was a combination of not wanting more retro tat cluttering up my house, combined with the fact it may not even have worked. Still, I should have risked it, but T-Bone's right it would probably have ended up smashed at the side of the road as my spaniel decided to chase something completely random!

Maybe he'll be back next week, there didn't seem to be much interest around his stall...

You're being too nice to him. He needs to be made to feel as guilty as possible for passing that beauty up :lol:

Years from now you will wake up sweating after having a nightmarish dream in the form of an endless loop of the moment, when you said to yourself.

"Nah I won't bother, it looks kinda bulky"

It looks kinda bulky

It looks kinda bulky

Kinda bulky

Kinda bulky

Bulky.....bulky.......bulky.......

:o

We've all done it. I still rue the day I passed up on a Commodore PET for exactly the same reasons. :P

Went along to two massive car boot sales, and all I came back with was worse hayfever than when I left!

Saw a good 3 or 4 GameBoys in carry cases, but passed on those as they weren't boxed, loads of unboxed Playstations, 3 dead PS2s going for £5 each.

Amusing highlight for me had to be when I started chatting to some bloke about the boxed SNES games he had, and I asked if they were all one price or different. "They're all different prices, mate. See this section here?", he points to a different section of SNES games on his table, located nearest him, so I assume he can keep an eye on them.

"These are the most expensive and rarest games".

He pulls out a 7/10 condition boxed version of The Chaos Engine.

"I bet you've not seen one of those before, have you", he asks.

"Yes, quite a few times".

"Really", he looks surprised. "That's a very rare game. I want £15 for that one."

I make my excuses and leave...

Not much game wise today. Picked up a GBA for £2 and GTA san andreas on xbox for £3.

Bought quite a bit in the shops on the weekend and on ebay though.

5 game gears (2 not working), game genie, 26 games including a couple of rarities, mains adaptor, case for under £25.

From gamestation: boxed dreamcast (really nice condition) 2 vmu's, shenmue, shenmue II (both with slipcases), giga wing and powerstone 2 for £25.

romance of the three kingdoms, shin megami tensai: digital devil saga £5

And my what the hell purchase of the weekend:

omega boost on ps1. Not seen the game before and it was a quid.

To be fair to the guy the chaos engine on the SNES boxed and complete (if it was) is pretty hard to come by. There's one on ebay now (which might even be the same copy as I think you're from up liverpool way aren't you Rob? Chaos engine complete on ebay) and there hasn't been a complete copy sold in the last month.

Not that I think £15 is a fair price at a car boot sale but I think he'd get at least that for it on ebay, if not more.

You're from up liverpool way aren't you Rob?

Not that I think £15 is a fair price at a car boot sale but I think he'd get at least that for it on ebay, if not more.

I'm just outside Bristol.

If it is indeed a collectable game, I stand corrected.

Edit: The one on Ebay looks in far better condition than the one I spotted. Although alarm bells are ringing as the photo doesn't show the front cover. I wonder what (if anything) has been scribbled on or ripped off?

I dont know if many of you have noticed, but a lot of carboot tools are now trying to flog things like NES (in really appalling condition) for what they call 'sub ebay prices' (?), saying thigs like 'these retro gems go for X on ebay'...

very, very annoying. I also reckon the same folks are scouting the booters out early and buying up any other cheap crap to do the same kinda stuff with.

I dont know if many of you have noticed, but a lot of carboot tools are now trying to flog things like NES (in really appalling condition) for what they call 'sub ebay prices' (?), saying thigs like 'these retro gems go for X on ebay'...

very, very annoying. I also reckon the same folks are scouting the booters out early and buying up any other cheap crap to do the same kinda stuff with.

O RLY?