It's snowing! - beautiful snow in games

Guest Uncle Boaby

Guest Uncle Boaby

I just woke up to find the streets of South London covered in a pristine blanket of snow, and instantly flashed back to that crisp morning on November 1986 when I ventured outside of the Hazuki Dojo in Yamanose for the first time. One of my favourite gaming memories of all time - solely because of the beauty of the moment.

Why is it that snow in games sometimes just feels so magical? And what are your favourite memories of the white stuff in games?

that crisp morning on November 1986 when I ventured outside of the Hazuki Dojo in Yamanose for the first time.

Every morning was beautiful. Rain, snow or sun. The weather was always different and every new day brought the promise of something undiscovered. Gee I loved that game.... Cherry blossoms. :lol:

They're the usual, predictable answers but Donkey Kong Country and Banjo Kazooie always get my vote.

This thread has just jolted me into remembering a snow level in Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault which, despite the context, was surprisingly lovely. It had that crisp-air-and-crunchy-underfoot-tread feel.

This thread has just jolted me into remembering a snow level in Medal Of Honour: Allied Assault which, despite the context, was surprisingly lovely. It had that crisp-air-and-crunchy-underfoot-tread feel.

You were standing on dead allies :lol:

It's all about Phendrana Drifts for me, coming out of that steamy lava filled hell-hole into the serene twinkly blanket of snow is one of gaming's defining moments for me.

The music is class as well.

I like the snowy area in Majora's Mask. I felt a bit sad when it all melted.

Lost Planet - that's proper fucking snow. where instead of making everything look pretty it's actually part of the gameplay. if it weren't for the slightly annoying suit/heat mechanic i would spend a *lot* of time just wandering about outside looking at the views.