IGNORED

Grow your own 2008

Farley

Hi

I know there was a thread last year but its warming up a bit now and I've got some cabbages in the ground, a full cold frame and seeds coming up everywhere.

Anyone else growing this year?

Anyone interested in seed swaps?

*prepares for thread to drop like a stone*

Anyone ever grown a chilli plant in the UK without like a *proper* greenhouse? Like, as a houseplant indoors. Lots of the stuff I'm gonna do this year will work fine in pots outside, but that feels like it might be a touch on the exotic side...

Anyone ever grown a chilli plant in the UK without like a *proper* greenhouse? Like, as a houseplant indoors. Lots of the stuff I'm gonna do this year will work fine in pots outside, but that feels like it might be a touch on the exotic side...

I've got a couple of indoor plants that are about 2 years old now. They generally have maybe one or two chillis on them at a time, at most. I'm not the most green-fingered person in the world though.

I'm doing peas this year. We did them a couple of years ago and you can't beat sitting out in the garden on a hot summer day and just pulling the pods straight off the vines, popping them and scoffing the peas raw.

Yeah, I have. Last year I got screwed by aphids though, which if they'd been outside all the predators would have had a field day with. What my gf's parents do is establish them indoors until about May, then bring them outside for the day and bring them in at night. Bit of a pain but it works really well for them.

I'm buying a flat in a few weeks and again, no garden. BUT! it has a tiny balcony thing that I'm relatively sure gets the sun for most of the day. Tomatoes in growbags, pots of herbs and chilis ahoy (well, the herbs... everything else next year).

You can't go wrong with tomatoes & strawberries - even the smallest garden will be ok and they grow like the clappers. I've got two Avacados on the go at the moment, they've been outside all winter and survived and even that last bit of snow we just had didn't kill them off. This is their second year outside now, so they seem pretty hardy. I've got a big banana palm arriving in the next few weeks courtesy of my parents - they've had it planted in their garden for a few years now, but it's got too big for them so it'll live in my nice south facing front garden which gets the sun all day long.

• 2 weeks later...

We have some seedlings on the go, mostly still in seed trays or small pots on various windowsills but I planted a couple of decent-sized pots with carrots a few weeks ago and they've been outside since. If everything grows properly we'll have runner beans, sweetcorn, carrots, onions, tomatoes, peas (sugarsnap, I think), brocolli and some others I can't remember.

I've reserved a patch of garden behind the garage and as soon as the weather's nice enough I'll be putting up a shed. I kind of want to grow some fruit and veggies there but the problem at the moment is that our rear neighbour has a row of confiers approx 40-50 feet tall which cast quite a shadow over the area. The fruit should be OK - perhaps a fan plum tree on the garage, a small apple tree and some blackberries on a really shady fence but there might be too much shade for much else. I did go around and ask him if he'd consider reducing the height a bit but he didn't fancy the idea. I've applied to have someone from the council take a look and I'm quietly confident they'll order them to be chopped down.

I've got quite a few peas outside now and garlic planted last year is looking bigger everyday. Onions and shallots are coming up, carrots and beetroot are just showing under a cloche and I've got lots of things to plant although I'm keeping the cloches handy.

I've got two raised beds but will be planting veg in the borders as well to see if it'll come up. I'll put some pics up if I remember.

Sowed my veggie patch last weekend. Fewer varieties this year, but greater quantity of the successful / tasty veg: broad beans, red onions, beetroots, leeks and carrots. I did try growing some celeraic from seed inside but they didn't really take, which is a shame.

My onions have started coming up over the last few days, last count is at 9. So chuffed :D

Photos to follow!

I have onions popping up, most are last years that did nothing !

My dads garden is amazing at the mo, mind being retired he can spend more time getting it done - thats my excuse and i'm sticking to it ^_^

rhubarbs already given up one crumble this year and going to be getting blackberry bush started this weekend.

For pots you can do most things. Potatoes are good and if you look about for cherry tomatoes, you can get those into hanging baskets.

someone at work grows them on their windowsill

I've been meaning to grow a chilli plant... Do I just pop a couple of seeds in a plant pot? How long will it take before I can eat it!

i got some seeds from a packet of dried chilli flakes, i have 4 plants on the go at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

Everything on my plot is looking super now, practically everything has come up. Including weeds.

I've pretty much cleared it for now by pulling them out by hand. Is that the right way to go about it?

Attempting to grow stuff for the first time this year, but only in pots on the patio at the moment. Got peppers, lettuce, rocket and tomatoes on the go, the lettuce is doing really well, hope the other stuff produces something too!

Attempting to grow stuff for the first time this year, but only in pots on the patio at the moment. Got peppers, lettuce, rocket and tomatoes on the go, the lettuce is doing really well, hope the other stuff produces something too!

I did rocket last year, was eating it every day for ages. Fantastic stuff.

i got some seeds from a packet of dried chilli flakes, i have 4 plants on the go at the moment.

hey ho,

I've got chilli's and peppers on the go. But I found they take a very long time to germinate? did you find this last year too? I have sunflowers beside them. they are the same age, and the sunflowers are about 3 feet tall, and the chillies are just little 2 inch strubs still! they must be close to 2 months old now, so i'm not holding my breath for produce this year off them.

Also, has anyone tried growing mushrooms?

Oooh. A veg growing thread. Nice.

I only have a small patio for a back garden so everything has to be in containers. Last year we grew beans, potatoes etc but started a bit late so some stuff didn't work that well. This year has been well planned and am currently growing -

Potatoes

French beans (climbing and dwarf)

Spring Onions

Cauliflowers

Strawberries

Garlic

Carrots (normal and Parmex - globe variety)

Chili peppers

Courgettes

Also I started off some tea plants last year which somehow survived the winter in my crappy plastic patio greenhouse and are now carrying on nicely. B)

I've never grown anything in my life so far, but this year I'm trying tomatoes, strawberries, chillis, rocket,mint, rosemary and parsley. Because there's nothing like throwing yourself waaaay over your head into something you know nothing about!

The strawberries are growing almost more quickly than I can handle - there's a dozen fruits quietly ripening, on two plants, and another four plants look like they're doing just as well.

The mint is doing fine, as is the rosemary. The parsley doesn't look too healthy though. The rocket is doing brilliantly too.

The chillis: I just cut open a dried chilli I had, and used a Suttons seed propagator. Two seeds per pellet. About a week later, I had 24 little green shoots pressing against the roof of the propagator! Following the instructions, I brutally massacred half of them, leaving one per pellet, and now they're thriving. Still in the propagator, because apparently you want four pairs of leaves before moving them to pots. I intend to have them inside on the windowsill (no real garden), but I've only got space for two or three at most! I don't want to have to kill the rest, but I don't know what to do with them.

This growing stuff is brilliant. Can't believe I've never done it before!

The chillis: I just cut open a dried chilli I had, and used a Suttons seed propagator. Two seeds per pellet. About a week later, I had 24 little green shoots pressing against the roof of the propagator! Following the instructions, I brutally massacred half of them, leaving one per pellet, and now they're thriving. Still in the propagator, because apparently you want four pairs of leaves before moving them to pots. I intend to have them inside on the windowsill (no real garden), but I've only got space for two or three at most! I don't want to have to kill the rest, but I don't know what to do with them.

LOL, that's exactly the situation I was in last year. If you don't have room for them give them away to family and friends - they're a great gift. Don't try to grow them all yourself in too small a space, they'll block each other out trying for the light and you won't get such good plants.