IGNORED

Parappa

Hopefully this is just a small minority...

http://www.destructoid.com/ps3-owners-does...ou--80697.phtml

"The Xbox 360's RROD has been the monkey on Microsoft's back for the past couple of years, but according to some reports, Sony has been dealing with some similar problems with the PS3 as well. Complaints on Sony's own forums show a small percentage of users being greeted with 80010514 errors, and finding out that their Blu-ray drives are no longer functioning. A quick search via the information superhighway seems to indicate that Sony has not released an official breakdown of the code, but that it veritably indicates an issue with the Blu-ray drive.

To be fair, it has to be mentioned that isolated reports of this error have been around for quite some time -- since the PS3's launch, in fact -- and that we've heard nothing about it coming anywhere near Xbox 360 levels of concern. However, it should be known that at least a couple people on staff know of others who have had issues with their PS3's giving up the ghost."

Anyone on here experienced this at all?

My local GAME store has said that they have noticed increasing amounts of PS3 units coming back with driver errors. Nothing in the RROD amounts but still annoying to those people that have to drag their consoles back to their stores. More annoying still for those 60Gb owners.

God, with this information out I'm never going to get a PS3.

With the fear of breakage in my head whenever I'd use the device, I don't think I'd be able to even turn on the device. PS3? ECOD more like!

We should totally all PM Chase simultaneously to tell him the news. Who's with me? :o

s our friends over at destructoid have recently reannounced, Their is a known issue with the PS3, simply known as error 800010514. Although this error occurs less frequently than a southern Alabama church revival, we felt it necessary to our loyal Sony readers to help shed some light on this issue.

The error in question is mainly seen within the first month of use, or to put it bluntly, it has the error right out of the box, however, we have seen this occur at almost a year into service as well. Our particular error occurred shortly after installing a new game we had purchased off the PlayStation Store.

The Error reads as follows:

"An error occurred during the start operation. 80010514"

Since this error occurred, we obviously contacted Sony Support. We were informed that the code is not common, and a simple reset of the system, and restoral of factory settings should do the trick. Unfortunately, after the restoral, the error still occurred. So, we dug a bit further, and this is what we found.

The error code is actually one of two things, a) a faulty sector on the internal hard drive, or B) a faulty installation of software/firmware, both iterations actually coincide with eachother. If the hard drive suffers a faulty sector ( a section of damaged space on the drive that data may have been written to that no longer is readable), an installation may still be processed, and even work, but the error can cause some serious side effects, such as option b. If your PS3 has installed an item incorrectly, including firmware, it is in high risk of receiving this error.

Basically, what is occuring is the corruption of game disc recognition and execution. If you will notice, in 90% of all cases, the drive will still play DVD and even Blu Ray movies with no problems. When trying to start a game however, the title, sooner or later, will receive the error.

A couple of ways to help prevent these errors from occuring:

1) Ensure that your internet connection is stable. If you are using a wireless connection, make sure your signal is at least a solid 80%. If not, make the proper adjustments until it is.

2) Dust your machine regularly. Any PS3 owner will tell you that the Playstation 3 is a dust magnet. Just run a dry cloth over it every couple days, and you should be fine. This will help prevent heat issues and shorts that may occur.

3) When installing firmware and/or software, make sure you follow the instructions. Even if you have installed 6 versions prior, each one is different, and may require additional steps. Save yourself the headache and just follow them, it only takes a minute or so longer to do it right.

By following these simple steps, you can prolongue the life of your PS3 indefinitely. To sum things up, the error is not hardware releated. Unfortunately, it is occuring through the corruption of firmware. Restoring you PS3 will not roll back the firmware, and unfortunately will not fix the issue 9 times out of 10. If you are receiving this error, contact Sony for a replacement unit. They are very fast when it comes to servicing/replacing as we had our 60Gb (the one that is in shortage ya know) back in about 2 1/2 weeks. Not bad.

http://gamerevolver.com/article-114-PS3-Er...-explained.html

2) Dust your machine regularly. Any PS3 owner will tell you that the Playstation 3 is a dust magnet. Just run a dry cloth over it every couple days, and you should be fine. This will help prevent heat issues and shorts that may occur.

LOL if you have a level of dust on your machine to a depth where it would affect heat levels - you've got bigger problems!

:o

Yeah, my fan kept going up to full whack for no reason, turns out I'd let the vents get dusty. A quick hoovering and voila- quiet PS3 again.

The error code in question is PS3ese for "something went wrong trying to do what you asked, but my diagnostic system doesn't know what".