Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

On his website the Very Reverend Bellend says "Bruce can consider himself very lucky indeed that, unlike him, I'm too classy to quote Jops' personal emails."

Yet on here he cuts and pastes a whole chunk of one of Jops' personal emails.

A deluded hypocrite.

Also, if he was such a great game designer why has he sunk to the level of keyboard warrior?

Surely Rockstar would be paying him hundreds of thousands a year?

You should read what you're writing.

He's posted it to show that he wasn't, in fact, ever lying about being 'Development Manager', which leaves you one less avenue of personal attack to go with your ABSOLUTELY NO avenues regarding the original issue.

Anyone care to summarise for those of us under the age of thirty what this argument is all about?

bruce marketed for a crap old company that famously collapsed under its own lousy management, and blamed everyone else for it.

bruce turns up, jobless, 20 years later and blames piracy. rest of world blames his shit games and shit management team.

bruce explodes.

So let's get this straight.

Marketing man Bruce Everiss writes a blog that is not read by many people. By chance, he writes a revisionist history article one week that attracts the attention of the Reverend Stuart Campbell, who decides to take this revisionism to task. He does so very thoroughly. Due to the fact that people love a Rev Stu-fuelled flame war, Everiss' blog gets many more readers than he has ever seen before. Interest in the article and flame war dies out when Campbell stops posting. Everiss writes another article, and notices that this one has gone back to the usual small number of readers. Marketing-man Everiss then hatches on a plan to boost readership again, by flaming Campbell on fora where he can detect a sniff of interest in The Rev.

Have I got that right?

Mods: Bruceongames has insulted one of our members, Rev.Stu Campbell and should be banned. Similarly, Rev.Stu Campbell has insulted one of our members (Bruceongames) and should be banned. Cheers!

Please, please, please stop it with the "Bellend". It is just turning people against you.

Be the bigger man etc etc.

He spent two weeks calling me names. None of the sycophants on his forum complained about that, did they?

Quote from Bellend.co.uk "Whenever you read anything that Bruce says, remember that we're dealing with a man who's spent the last 25 years as a professional liar."

So it is very, very satisfying to be able to do the same. And it wasn't me who called him Bellend first. I picked it up from another forum, possibly even here. And assumed that was his nickname.

Anyone care to summarise for those of us under the age of thirty what this argument is all about?

Further to what you were told their business plan revolved around paying for several expensive offices they didn't use and surviving on the proceeds of year old Spectrum games that didn't review well while writing a new Speccy game that (no joke) they wanted to sell for current Xbox 360 game prices.

But Bruce seems to be - and that's what I've been trying to point out (also, the 16-bit console era didn't really start here in the UK until 1990, which co-incides roughly with the end of the 8-bits, so during the interval where Nintendo/Sega didn't have as much pull in the country, it would have been crazy for Ocean to abandon the Speecy/C64 unless they managed to leap in bed with a console manufacturer like the Stampers did)

The way I read it he's saying there was money but due to the size of Imagine they just couldn't cover their costs. 8-Bit software could still happily be written in the bedroom, thus meaning that codeshops with a smaller employee base could find it much easier to survive.

Well that's how I read it anyway.

Oh and by 1990 the 16 bit computer era was in full swing. Hell, the A1200 came out in 1992.

He spent two weeks calling me names. None of the sycophants on his forum complained about that, did they?

Quote from Bellend.co.uk "Whenever you read anything that Bruce says, remember that we're dealing with a man who's spent the last 25 years as a professional liar."

So it is very, very satisfying to be able to do the same. And it wasn't me who called him Bellend first. I picked it up from another forum, possibly even here. And assumed that was his nickname.

Just trying to give you a tip. The name calling makes you look like a twelve year old.

http://www.bellend.co.uk/

I checked, and the only quotable material there is

Directory Listing Denied

This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

I don't think it's Stuart's site. :lol:

Imagine made a couple of successful games in the early 80s for the Spectrum

Imagine rode the success of those games for 18 months then collapsed.

Bruce in 2008 says that the collapse was caused by piracy.

Various others (including Bruce in 1983/4) pointed out that Imagine was a terribly run company and that was why they collapsed.

Stu Vs Bruce 2008

On his website the Very Reverend Bellend says "Bruce can consider himself very lucky indeed that, unlike him, I'm too classy to quote Jops' personal emails."

He's been reduced to that to prove his point. He clearly didn't want to have to, but you forced his hand.

And the Bellend stuff is just embarrassing.

A deluded hypocrite.

Also, if he was such a great game designer why has he sunk to the level of keyboard warrior?

Surely Rockstar would be paying him hundreds of thousands a year?

You know what? Calling someone a "hypocrite" for doing something you imply to be wrong would have a teensy bit more power if it weren't something you so grotesquely did yourself. Stuart quoted a couple of sentences to defend himself against your deceit. If you go around punching people in the face, shouting "YOU HYPOCRITE" when they gently kick you in the shins makes you look a bit stupid.

Explain to me this "keyboard warrior" thing. Would this be someone who spends their life writing posts on their website, and arguing in forums? It must be awful for anyone to have sunk to this level.

Yours

The Apparently Invisible John Walker

So let's get this straight.

Marketing man Bruce Everiss writes a blog that is not read by many people. By chance, he writes a revisionist history article one week that attracts the attention of the Reverend Stuart Campbell, who decides to take this revisionism to task. He does so very thoroughly. Due to the fact that people love a Rev Stu-fuelled flame war, Everiss' blog gets many more readers than he has ever seen before. Interest in the article and flame war dies out when Campbell stops posting. Everiss writes another article, and notices that this one has gone back to the usual small number of readers. Marketing-man Everiss then hatches on a plan to boost readership again, by flaming Campbell on fora where he can detect a sniff of interest in The Rev.

Have I got that right?

Mods: Bruceongames has insulted one of our members, Rev.Stu Campbell and should be banned. Similarly, Rev.Stu Campbell has insulted one of our members (Bruceongames) and should be banned. Cheers!

I'm actually trying to get the record straight.

You're right, my blog is a bit quiet. The best ever day was just 13,426 unique visitors. And that was not this story.

And it is at around 50,000 on Technorati (out of over 100 million blogs).

Yet it has only been going since August, so with luck it will pick up with time.

The way I read it he's saying there was money but due to the size of Imagine they just couldn't cover their costs. 8-Bit software could still happily be written in the bedroom, thus meaning that codeshops with a smaller employee base could find it much easier to survive.

Well that's how I read it anyway.

Oh and by 1990 the 16 bit computer era was in full swing. Hell, the A1200 came out in 1992.

I don't think Ocean, US Gold, et al were bedroom coders. Imagine's overheads are the stuff of legend (for example, the empty offices and the duplicator incident, plus how much it was going to cost to create the Megagame expansion pack). Add into the fact that from Bruce's own article, the financial side of the company was run rather haphazardly, and it's clear why Imagine failed.

I was talking specifically about 16-bit consoles, as most of the companies that survived the 1983/4 period expanded to cover the ST/Amiga fairly quickly.

I'm actually trying to get the record straight.

You're right, my blog is a bit quiet. The best ever day was just 13,426 unique visitors. And that was not this story.

And it is at around 50,000 on Technorati (out of over 100 million blogs).

Yet it has only been going since August, so with luck it will pick up with time.

this is your day in the sun, its all downhill from now. to anyone with half a brain and any industry knowledge, you look like an idiot...your posts are just absurd, awful, scary, and just car crash material

He claims to actually be a reverend. I have never seen him say which religion or how he was ordained. He doesn't take kindly to people asking.

Actually I must admit that the Very Reverend Bellend knows a million time more about games than I ever will. He has been totally immersed in them since childhood. Whereas I was an adult when games took off and have been too busy just getting on with my life to become a game expert.

However I do feel that I know somewhat more about the game industry than he does. Or is ever likely too with his know it all attitude. Having marketed lots of games to number one on many formats and in many countries.