Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

is that the genteel image of stitching up his former colleagues, slagging off game fans as fanboys, insulting everyone who disagrees with him, attacking people who try to explain technical errors in his statements...

why he's a lovely old man sucking on a werthers originals..not some old marketing buffoon clinging onto delusional dreams and arguing like a 10 year old all day long on his unemployable ass's laptop

I was referring to Stuart. At least make an effort to read the thread in between machine-gunning repetitive insults at Bruce.

You cannot state this as fact. Nor I the opposite. But one hundred thousand downloads for PSP Dracula X Chronicles? A quarter of a million for R&C and MGS:PO? All of this JUST from tPB - can you seriously tell me that means zero lost sales?

not zero no, but i'd wager a majority of those downloaders wouldnt have purchase it anyway. theyre downloading it for a look, for completeness (or rom collection), to test it out before purchasing the original...

its the standard argument "X amount of copies...all lost sales!". nope. if anything a word of mouth on a game can increase through recommendations of downloaders, websites, forums etc. im not saying its an exact science, but the anti piracy brigade refuse to accept any of it, and look like blinkered idiots.

I was referring to Stuart. At least make an effort to read the thread in between machine-gunning repetitive insults at Bruce.

you're mental then. since when has RSC been considered genteel?

MK-1601 - massively wrong since 1601

He claimed no such thing!

He claimed that a PSP could run pirated games by literally just putting "a bit torrent" on a memstick.

Bruce doesn't like facts.

[edit: oops, too slow]

I think we can (and I did when I comment on the article originally) give him more credit than that. He clearly meant the resulting download from a bit torrent.

The .iso download figures from the P*rate Bay etc. should be enough to convince anyone* that illegal downloads MUST be harming sales figures for individual games.

Not really no. An illegal download does not imply a lost sale. A publisher survey recently (it's in the comment of bruce's site) suggested 1000 downloads to one lost sale might be the ratio.

Secondary question, how many games did you find out about thanks to piracy? Have you bought more than 1 in 1000 of those?

A game would sell precisely zero without some form of marketing.

So marketing is essential in the relationship between game development and the gamer.

Only for a massively wide definition of marketing. MrD sold many copies of Blast Arena Advance on cart by putting up a site himself. Technically yes, that's marketing but only in the same way as an XNA game is a 360 game and so is Halo 3.

you're mental then. since when has RSC been considered genteel?

MK-1601 - massively wrong since 1601

So you didn't read John Walker's post either.

This internet feud was amusing sport, at the start, because both men have staked a claim at expertise and are too stubborn/uncivil to accept any compromise.

It's just boring now, and you have nothing to add to the discussion.

Secondary question, how many games did you find out about thanks to piracy?

Me? Zero. The only games I've played under emulation are Snatcher, (and that crashes every time just after I meet Metal Gear :lol: ) and ProGear.

I'm not trying to take any moral high ground here, but I'm surprised at the "1000 downloads = 1 lost sale" quote - the R4 and PSP threads in this folder show quite a few "lost sales" on a regular basis, and from people who WOULD buy the games at retail if only it weren't so easy to pirate them.

bruce also boasts in one of his articles of a lovely trick he pulled when at imagine:

they raised tape prices to 2.99...tricked their retail partners into large bulk orders, forcing the games back into the charts, and then forced them to reorder stock at increased rates. literally biting the hand that fed them.

when pointing this out from his OWN ARTICLES, he deleted it and banned me. then later he called it "business".

he's a pure marketing con man

Here is the article.

Seeing as there are some pedants around I will point out that it was Codemasters, not Imagine.

You obviously know little of business.

What is wrong with putting prices up? It happens all the time. Budget games had been £1.99 for many years in a time of inflation. They were priced so low as an anti piracy measure, they were so cheap that they weren't worth copying. But the margin, and thus the abilty to run the company, was wafer thin. So I put the prices up to £2.99 and all the competitors followed. The extra margin allowed us to survive and to continue to invest in good games.

The way I went about the price increase was pure marketing. That is what I get paid for.

Nobody is banned from anywhere.

Comments to my blog are vetted, often some time after they are written, if they contribute then I publish them.

Any fool can see that I let through comments that are negative towards what I have said, as well as the positive ones.

However I do know someone who deletes posts on his forum to keep himself looking good.

Comments to my blog are vetted, often some time after they are written, if they contribute then I publish them.

Any fool can see that I let through comments that are negative towards what I have said, as well as the positive ones.

However I do know someone who deletes posts on his forum to keep himself looking good.

Um, Bruce - remember the bit where you screamed "hypocrite" earlier?

Everyone knows you deleted calm, polite posts that asked you awkward questions. That you did that is obviously extremely poor. That you lied about it afterwards is pretty disgusting. That you now further that lie as an attack on someone else for doing precisely what you did... you're really not coming across very well here.

John W

Here is the article.

Seeing as there are some pedants around I will point out that it was Codemasters, not Imagine.

You obviously know little of business.

What is wrong with putting prices up? It happens all the time. Budget games had been £1.99 for many years in a time of inflation. They were priced so low as an anti piracy measure, they were so cheap that they weren't worth copying. But the margin, and thus the abilty to run the company, was wafer thin. So I put the prices up to £2.99 and all the competitors followed. The extra margin allowed us to survive and to continue to invest in good games.

The way I went about the price increase was pure marketing. That is what I get paid for.

you can reword it all you like here but you boast about it on your own site, basically a short term monetary gain traded against long term resentment towards your company.

no wonder imagine died.

Not really no. An illegal download does not imply a lost sale. A publisher survey recently (it's in the comment of bruce's site) suggested 1000 downloads to one lost sale might be the ratio.

I suspect that there is a wide variance. I can't be arsed to look it up, but I think that 1/1000 figure was in relation to some downloadable casual game wasn't it? The perceived value of that sort of game is quite low. I think for some recent high-profile PC games (which have a strong appeal to tech-savvy gamers with limited disposable income i.e. kids and students) have been bitten much harder. Conversely, DS games might not be hit so hard because of the need to have a flash cart (and each individual with a flash cart downloading way way more ROMs than they would ever realistically purchase).

you can reword it all you like here but you boast about it on your own site, basically a short term monetary gain traded against long term resentment towards your company.

no wonder imagine died.

Angel you make less and less sense. This is tedious.

Is this normal?

Please read what I have written before replying.

I have pointed out that it was at Codemasters that I increased budget prices to £2,99.

And Codemasters is still going.

I wish I'd bloody pirated Schizoids and Jumping Fucking Jack instead of wasting my hard-earned pocket money on them.

If you had any conscience Bruce, you'd send me £11.00 via Paypal by way of a refund to make up for all the years of hurt and anger I've suffered as a result.

Who's the bigger villain? The directors of Imagine willing to fleece schoolkids out of their meagre earnings with inferior product, or the pirates who vicariously struck back at them on my behalf.

Those pirates are fucking heroes in my book.

Possibly. :lol:

I suspect that there is a wide variance. I can't be arsed to look it up, but I think that 1/1000 figure was in relation to some downloadable casual game wasn't it? The perceived value of that sort of game is quite low. I think for some recent high-profile PC games (which have a strong appeal to tech-savvy gamers with limited disposable income i.e. kids and students) have been bitten much harder. Conversely, DS games might not be hit so hard because of the need to have a flash cart (and each individual with a flash cart downloading way way more ROMs than they would ever realistically purchase).

The key bit there is limited diposable income.

If these kids stopped pirating they would not buy any more games than they do now because they still have the same amount of money.

When I was a kid I bought games and I pirated games. If there had been no pirated games about I would not have bought any more because I already spent all my money on games anyway...

I think the same thing holds true for most consumers. They have a set amount of money they are going to spend and anything they download is in addition to not instead of.

It's certainly true for me.

Also against the lost sales I have this annecdote;

When the MIL CD exploit was found on the Dreamcast the very next weeks figures showed a significant increace in hardware sales. No big titles were launched during that week, no promotions or price drops. The only thing that happened was the the GD Rom was cracked and piracy was availible on the Dreamcast.

So that's proof that there are a number of people that brought the machine just becuase they can get free games. Anything they downloaded wasnt a lost sale. Without piracy they would not have brought the console to start with. Same for Amiga, Playstation and Spectrum

I honestly think that a huge proportion of those PSP download figures are to people they brought the PSP just for piracy, download everything just becuase you can and try before you buy.

and on topic, Piracy is very easy to blame in the industry to cover your failings, it's the boogyman. I know people in the industry just like Bruce, upper management types that dont really know what's going on.

I have pointed out that it was at Codemasters that I increased budget prices to £2,99.

And Codemasters is still going.

Yes, but it doesn't follow that you're responsible for Codemasters still going. Perhaps you are, I don't know. But without any evidence that's another fallacy. In fact it's kind of more than one.

Yes, but it doesn't follow that you're responsible for Codemasters still going. Perhaps you are, I don't know. But without any evidence that's another fallacy. In fact it's kind of more than one.

i've got a rock that keeps tigers away. there arent any tigers here, so it must work. would you like to buy this rock?

i've got a rock that keeps tigers away. there arent any tigers here, so it must work. would you like to buy this rock?

Sure! I'll just ask my university for some money. The year I came here they made eight million pounds, so I've certainly earned it!