Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

To be fair, so is Stuart Campbell. Still, i think it's good two jobless people can focus their spare time on this sort of quality internet slug-fest. Better than nicking hubcaps etc.

;)

How utterly fucking dull, having a barney about something that happened 20 years ago. I guess it keeps them off the streets, though I'm sure Rev campbells time would be better spent emptying bins.

But what about where bruce says loads of tapes were returned as faulty where in fact they were fine? He says that cost them a load of money. Sound like piracy to me.

Selling good stock and having it returned because the kids are tape-to-taping them is worse than not selling them in the first place.

So Imagine had to deal with a load of good stock which they had already sold and accounted for once, but were not paid for.

Didn't see Stu retort to that. Sound like a pretty legitimate reason for going under that wasn't their fault.

No, people took those games back because they were crap.

I bought some shite games and I took them back. I bought some good games and I didn't take them back. I don't know anyone who bought a game, copied it and took it back. I knew a lot of people (everyone) who copied copies or had copies of games their mates had bought & kept, and a lot had cracked C64 games but I never remember anyone buying a game just to copy it and then returning it.

Kids generally could only afford a game a month at most. You weren't going to blow it on the shite Imagine churned out that year.

I reckon, off the top of my head, 5% of copied games would ever have seen cash for them. At most.

One thing that's always puzzled me about Stuart is that he only digs into his apparent vast wealth of knowledge on the subject to correct someone, in a rather unpleasant fashion instead of a/ making a decent point, and enlightening people, or b/ writing a definitive book on the subject. There are plenty of people who would doubtless be interested in such a thing, but I sometimes get the impression that he's happier wallowing in his own self pity.

He still does some work.

His columns in Retro Gamer are half the reason I buy the magazine.

Ah, well, that's OK then.
Almost the correct spelling, and it's only 4 letters for the first word, but aside from that...

duncan proving his complete lack of self awareness, proving in concurrent snidy little posts that infact he is the c***. back to ignore you go, foul beast. :lol:

Almost the correct spelling, and it's only 4 letters for the first word, but aside from that...

Well done, give yourself a pat on the back.

If i was really bored, and feeling particuarly pedantic, i'd go and have a quick glace at your blog and ask why you could'nt find time to put a space in the middle of the words "Gamerankings" (as the site is actually called Game Rankings) and "crashlanded" in your bioshock review.

But aside from that....

If i was really bored, and feeling particuarly pedantic, i'd go and have a quick glace at your blog and ask why you could'nt find time to put a space in the middle of the words "Gamerankings" (as the site is actually called Game Rankings) and "crashlanded" in your bioshock review.

But aside from that....

So you can happily spend your time searching down someone's previous posts who missed a shocking hyphen and a space, yet still "could'nt" be bothered to spell correctly in your reply...

Angel, why do you always feel the need to let everyone know you've put someone on ignore? :D

if it makes any difference i've had him on ignore for about a year :angry: i unignore him once in a while just to see if he's still talking bollocks.

But aside from that....

angel has two accounts! FFS

The whole thing was quite interesting. It's a shame it all got so unpleasant, personal, and combative though. Bruce obviously has altered history in his mind a little bit - I think we can forgive him that little concession to the ego, none of us enjoy being reminded of our more public failures or mistakes. Stuart did a great job on telling a more detailed version of events so kudos to him for that.

The only thing I would say is that there is a lot of nonsense from the piracy apologists who fail to see the bigger picture. Yes, Imagine was run into the ground by the directors, but everyone was hit hard by piracy back then and that didn't help matters (and it continues to hurt the industry to this day). It's not the whole story, but it is definitely a part of it. So stop trying to write it out entirely

It also seems a little churlish to knock Imagine for their software - like all publishers they put out some good and some bad, in tough market conditions. And to repeatedly have a go at Bandersnatch seems a shame... certainly with the benefit of hindsight it is remarkable folly, but you have to respect the ambition of it all, even if the "megagames" thing didn't pan out.

There's ambition, and then there's expecting people to pay ten times as much as other games on the market! I hope I wasn't coming across as an apologist in the comments; I really did want him to address his claims that the games industry was in the doldrums after the fall of Imagine, completely ignoring the movie/coin-op era of the Speccy (indeed, I read that Mirrorsoft shifted 400,000 copies of Teenage Mutant Turtles in a very short amount of time on the Spec...)

But what about where bruce says loads of tapes were returned as faulty where in fact they were fine? He says that cost them a load of money. Sound like piracy to me.

Here's a game which I returned several times, because as a child, having paid £5.50 of my own money, I was unable to conceptualise the truth that Imagine were cunts, and would release a game that was chock full of game-breaking bugs.

Stonkers_-_Imagine.jpg

Stonkers. Imagine, you cunts, you broke my little heart.

So you can happily spend your time searching down someone's previous posts who missed a shocking hyphen and a space, yet still "could'nt" be bothered to spell correctly in your reply...

I wasnt aware i'd even typed the word "correctly", let alone misspelled it.... :)

In fairness, i wasnt the one bothered about punctuation, until duncan decided to be an arse and make a sarcy comment about my spelling...

Man, damn this forum for actually making me even care about something this stupid and trivial! :blink: