Bruce Everiss Vs Stuart Campbell

Swainy

That is the worst insult I have ever had in my life.

To be compared in any way to the Very Reverend Bellend is an abomination.

It wasn't directed at you, it was directed at angel. For what it's worth, I subscribed to your blog when Ste Pickford linked to it on here a few weeks ago.

I just read the new piracy post and I'm surprised that you don't seem to think there are any other reasons a game might not sell. In the original post that started this, someone mentioned that Gran Turismo 2 could have affected sales of the TOCA game that bombed. Do you disagree that this could have been a factor?

That is the worst insult I have ever had in my life.

To be compared in any way to the Very Reverend Bellend is an abomination.

pardon?

bruce is my alt. account. i will write a text on the history of games and its future that will end all debate. they will all be online like world of worthingtons, motion controlled like the sixis controller does, and downloadable like iD pioneered with their "quark" game.

It wasn't directed at you, it was directed at angel. For what it's worth, I subscribed to your blog when Ste Pickford linked to it on here a few weeks ago.

I just read the new piracy post and I'm surprised that you don't seem to think there are any other reasons a game might not sell. In the original post that started this, someone mentioned that Gran Turismo 2 could have affected sales of the TOCA game that bombed. Do you disagree that this could have been a factor?

Of course.

None of this is black and white. There are always lots of different factors and you need to weigh up how much influence each had.

The TOCA game that bombed went to number one. Then fell out of the charts. I took this as an indicator that in week one there was no piracy so people were buying legitimate copies. By week two it had been cracked and pirate copied were everywhere. It was a very high profile title so it was a top target for being pirated.

PSX piracy became immense. Many thousands of burnt disks for every one sold. It screwed up game publishing and thus game development very badly.

Hi,

Stuart Campbell really took me by surprise.

I didn't even know who he was before this.

That's your first problem, right there. He's like the terminator when it comes to arguments. And understand. He is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.

I like the way in the piracy article he uses copyrighted images almost certainly without licence. It's THEFT Bruce, think of the VICTIMS!

Fair use, and to trade off someones IP you have to actually make money (or harm their money-making).

And the Sparrow pictures are almost certainly studio publicity shots widely used on the net and elsewhere.

PS1 games didn't need cracking.

Pedantry.

Are you Stuart? That is what he does. Hunts down the little mistakes and ignores the main point where he is wrong.

My point is perfectly valid. Week one it was mainly bought. Week two onwards nobody bought it because it was so widely pirated.

That doesn't make sense though. If people had a chipped PlayStation then they would have just waited for it to be available in pirated form and not bought it in week one.

And "thousands" of pirates for every one retail copy? Are you sure?

I edited that and anyway, i'm not looking for mistakes.

Anyway GT2 would have been pirated at the same time and yet both Poly and the codies are still doing games.

I don't dispute piracy has an effect on sales but so do second hand sales and they haven't been mentioned yet and yet they were also very prevaillent in that era so that two factors not taken into account Bruce.

Pedantry.

Are you Stuart? That is what he does. Hunts down the little mistakes and ignores the main point where he is wrong.

My point is perfectly valid. Week one it was mainly bought. Week two onwards nobody bought it because it was so widely pirated.

Pirated games are usually out before if not on time. I bought a US PSX FFVIII in a car boot stall from some Korean chaps before the actual US release. If piracy was that big why did it only affect a game like Toca a week later?

What if in the first week all the people that wanted to buy and preordered the game, bought it and interest just dipped after that?

I can accept the damage piracy does but I don't buy this one week, two week argument

Of course.

None of this is black and white. There are always lots of different factors and you need to weigh up how much influence each had.

The TOCA game that bombed went to number one. Then fell out of the charts. I took this as an indicator that in week one there was no piracy so people were buying legitimate copies. By week two it had been cracked and pirate copied were everywhere. It was a very high profile title so it was a top target for being pirated.

PSX piracy became immense. Many thousands of burnt disks for every one sold. It screwed up game publishing and thus game development very badly.

You could also argue that just about everyone who was interested bought it in the first week. It's a shame that Codemasters had to make people redundant over it but you yourself admitted across a few blog posts that Codemasters made stupid decisions sometimes. They should have avoided a situation where a single game not selling could have such an effect.

Actually, according to Wikipedia GT2 wasn't released until several months later so prehaps this provides evidence in favour of what Bruce is saying.

But whats not being stated is the effect of second hand game sales. All the game shops, CEX and Blockbusters were selling them then, as they do now.

the thing bruce fails to realise is that other companies manage fine. in some ways, piracy sorts out the wheat from the chaff. GT sells by the truckload, the relatively minor TOCA didnt.

even without piracy, that would still be the case. hes just looking for someone to blame. can't see you getting much of a response here bruce. especially if someone like poet drops by.