Official Braid Thread

Monkichi 3.0

Don't know if anyone's seen it but JB has identified a couple of bugs in the game.

One happens if you put your paid-for copy of the game on another machine (either a replacement for a broken one or just swapping hard drives) - game reverts to demo mode and you may or may not lose your save.

That kinda happens here at work with my own hard drive on the works machine.

Have found if you sign out then back in on the title screen it forces it to recognise your save/purchase.

EDIT:

Could someone also clarify something about the level 'irreversible' (World 3)

I completed it

but I don't get how going down the pit/tunnel and resolving that puzzle with the doors suddenly resolves the issue with the other puzzle above where you enter the level? How does it stop/reverse the block not affected by time?

Right. I never realised that.

This is exactly what messed me up on the elavator action puzzle. It's the only thing in the game I thought didn't give you enough of an explanation/indication as to how it actually worked. The first time I did the puzzle was by accident, and I really couldn't understand why it hadn't worked on previous attempts when I seemed to be doing the same thing.

World 5 in Braid reminded me instantly of the Net Yaroze game Timeslip.

For anyone that hasn't played it, it was a 2D platformer with the gimmick that every minute, you travelled back in time one minute. In effect, every minute your past self would set off from the start of the level, carrying out every action you undertook. What followed was a series of switch and timing puzzles that required you to linger on touchpads in order to let your future self through doors and over obstacles.

If you touched your past self, you'd collapse the space-time continuum, losing your life. So you also had to remember your actions well enough so that you'd avoid collisions, especially on levels which involved backtracking to doorways etc.

I always thought it was clever, so World 5 in Braid really clicked right away, and then goes on to do some really great stuff with the concept.

What did people think was the best puzzle in the game then?

I reckon the hunt in World 4, and one in World 6:

The one where you have to flick a switch then come out the room again. Originally I put my ring under the cannon, so I could make it inside. The corridor was just too long to get back out though. I must have tried 50 times, it was so, so close. I was hating the game for making a puzzle so reliant on good platforming. Staring at it for ages I saw that I hadn't used the goombas much so perhaps they were involved... Getting one down was hard enough in itself, then just getting onto the cannon was super tricky in itself. Finally putting down the ring and doing the puzzle I thought was definitely one of the most satisfying moments in the game.

I don't remember doing that at all and I finished World 6 last night :lol:

What did people think was the best puzzle in the game then?

I reckon the hunt in World 4, and one in World 6:

The one where you have to flick a switch then come out the room again. Originally I put my ring under the cannon, so I could make it inside. The corridor was just too long to get back out though. I must have tried 50 times, it was so, so close. I was hating the game for making a puzzle so reliant on good platforming. Staring at it for ages I saw that I hadn't used the goombas much so perhaps they were involved... Getting one down was hard enough in itself, then just getting onto the cannon was super tricky in itself. Finally putting down the ring and doing the puzzle I thought was definitely one of the most satisfying moments in the game.

Yeah, both of them were bloody excellent. The World 6 one was particularly satisfying.

Could someone also clarify something about the level 'irreversible' (World 3)

I completed it

but I don't get how going down the pit/tunnel and resolving that puzzle with the doors suddenly resolves the issue with the other puzzle above where you enter the level? How does it stop/reverse the block not affected by time?

Going into the pit first has no effect at all on the puzzle where you enter the level. The natural course of events takes the horizontal platform out of the gap it's in - beating the vertical green platform. It only gets blocked in if you rewind time, because the horizontal platform rewinds with you whereas the vertical one carries on going up as it's not affected by your rewinding - meaning that the horizontal platform is no longer quick enough to get out of the gap.

D'oh! I was thinking that puzzle was a potential failure point for a speed run as it's very easy to get the timing wrong and any rewinding is instant fail, but just doing things in a slightly different order probably works.

That puzzle and the one in world size remind me I do like the some of the worlds contain near identical puzzles but with utterly different ways of solving them.

Going into the pit first has no effect at all on the puzzle where you enter the level. The natural course of events takes the horizontal platform out of the gap it's in - beating the vertical green platform. It only gets blocked in if you rewind time, because the horizontal platform rewinds with you whereas the vertical one carries on going up as it's not affected by your rewinding - meaning that the horizontal platform is no longer quick enough to get out of the gap.

Yeah, a mate at work solved it differently

he just did nothing meaning it went through.

It just seemed really odd given I couldnt work it and then solved it by a "fluke"

OK, done it at last. I had no clue at all on the one I was stuck on (sleeping on it didn't help), but managed to do it eventually through another buggy / glitchy / desperation method. John told me his solution after I'd done it, and it was really neat and dead easy (clearly the right method).

The one I was stuck on was at the start of Fragile Companion at the end of world 5.

I can now allow myself to look at whatever nonsense is in the story thread.

Is there something I need to know about stars?

OK, done it at last. I had no clue at all on the one I was stuck on (sleeping on it didn't help), but managed to do it eventually through another buggy / glitchy / desperation method. John told me his solution after I'd done it, and it was really neat and dead easy (clearly the right method).

The one I was stuck on was at the start of Fragile Companion at the end of world 5.

I can now allow myself to look at whatever nonsense is in the story thread.

Is there something I need to know about stars?

That was a stupid level. I'm at the point now where it's stopped being entertaining and I'm getting frustrated with it.

I ended up

walking near to the door, rewinding, then somehow my shadow ended up EXACTLY next to the door opening it

. How the fuck does that work? What part of the mechanic have I missed? Seriously, I don't know :)

Well I guess it all hinges on whether you

paid attention to your shadow throughout the world. It never stops at the point where you rewound, it always exists for a few seconds more, carrying on whatever it was doing as you rewound. So if you rewind while falling, which was how I did the puzzle, the shadow will continue to fall for a few more seconds.

Hey guys - I've not played this or anything, but I thought i'd let you know that this thread got referenced on the most recent GFW podcast by Shawn Elliot. Bravo to all involved! :)

EDIT: Or rather, the thread concerning the story did. Off to post in there now!

Well I guess it all hinges on whether you

paid attention to your shadow throughout the world. It never stops at the point where you rewound, it always exists for a few seconds more, carrying on whatever it was doing as you rewound. So if you rewind while falling, which was how I did the puzzle, the shadow will continue to fall for a few more seconds.

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh, right.

I ended up

walking near to the door, rewinding, then somehow my shadow ended up EXACTLY next to the door opening it

. How the fuck does that work? What part of the mechanic have I missed? Seriously, I don't know :(

Yeah, that's exactly how I did it. Pretty sure it's a bug / exploit. I didn't feel like I'd solved the puzzle, and I hadn't really.

I ended up

. How the fuck does that work? What part of the mechanic have I missed? Seriously, I don't know :(

When you rewind, your shadow replays what you just did but when it runs out of data it carries on falling (if it's in mid-air) till it hits the ground. The solution to this puzzle is to jump at the first door but rewind BEFORE you touch it. Your shadow will repeat your action but when it hits the point where you rewound it has no more data but it carries on with the jump and therefore unlocks the door with its key leaving your key intact.

To be honest I think this puzzle and the one where you stay sparkly for a second after standing on a sparkly platform are a bit obscure. It feels more like exploiting a bug than solving something. These properties are by no means obvious or even logical IMO.

I don't like criticising this game though. It's so good that any complaints feel churlish. My only real gripe is that I don't like the jump and that made a few puzzles fiddly to complete even when I knew the solution.

The best thing about this game is it has real puzzles; not the blue key -> blue door things which get called puzzles in most games.

I love the discovery element (although it would have been nice to be able to look up an explanation of the controls and other mechanics). And best of all I love when a "completely impossible" puzzle becomes possible just by thinking it through and a bit of trial and error.

I only just got this last night and have only done the first world so far, but even that I found quite tough; the jigsaw puzzle had be completely stumped for ages. I really like it, but I fear it's going to frustrate me, based on the comments in this thread. I've never been great at solving puzzles in games.

When you rewind, your shadow replays what you just did but when it runs out of data it carries on falling (if it's in mid-air) till it hits the ground. The solution to this puzzle is to jump at the first door but rewind BEFORE you touch it. Your shadow will repeat your action but when it hits the point where you rewound it has no more data but it carries on with the jump and therefore unlocks the door with its key leaving your key intact.

To be honest I think this puzzle and the one where you stay sparkly for a second after standing on a sparkly platform are a bit obscure. It feels more like exploiting a bug than solving something. These properties are by no means obvious or even logical IMO.

Ah I see, ok. I should've realised sooner really.

Also, I'm just on that level with the sparkly you mentioned and that's when I turned it off in a huff last night, because my brain wasn't having any of it.

I ended up

Thats pretty much how my mate at work did it yesterday.

He randomly reversed time and suddenly the door was open. Neither of us had any clue what he had done.

I just did it there on my break from based off the clue majora gave (I didn't unspoil all his advice, just the first few words, though admittedly it became incredibly obvious after that)