Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

I don't get why people think there is no point to all the guns!!

They're are loads of them for a reason...Mix and match, fool around with them all, find ones that look/sound cool or with player suitable characteristics.

The M4 is good, but isn't that powerful. BUT has 30 rounds. Other alternative rifles are MUCH more powerful, but hold only 20 rounds.

Stuff like that. The Gameplay Elements are Stacked, It's a big playground for you to fuck about it.

I've almost done three play throughs. First was improvisational. Bit of Sneaking, bit of shooting. Just whatever I fancied. The option to vary how I played the game at almost any time AND for It to completely hold up the quality no matter what I did was truly awesome.

2nd play through was a full stealth run, no kills no alerts on Big Boss hard. I really recommend people try this approach. Not necessarily trying to fill out all the requirements to get a hard to obtain emblem but defo a super sneaky run on a hard diff. Act 4 TOTALLY comes into it's own with this approach.

3rd run. Tuxedo & Drebin Face mask for the whole game. No hiding just all out WAR!!! Approach the game like Drebin would ;)

....and it's amazing.

Btw. most scenarios have multiple paths. The first main battle area in act one. You can choose to take the roofs instead of the ground. Lots of fun CQCing a snipers spotter then shooting the sniper in the back of the head ;)

Also you guys HAVE to mess about with the Emotion ammo :P

It's by far the best game in the series. A stunning achievement. I've gone back to MGS3 just to get a feel for how I weight up each MGS game. I'm totally certain that MGS4 outshines the rather amazing 3rd game. MGS3:S is very much in my top 10. But this game is something else.

It might sound clichéd but this game is a proper RE4 reimagination of the series. If it's the last one then they sure did go out on a high note.

I don't get why people think there is no point to all the guns!!

They're are loads of them for a reason...Mix and match, fool around with them all, find ones that look/sound cool or with player suitable characteristics.

But there doesnt seem to be much incentive to do so. A shot from one gun pretty much kills any baddie whether it be a pistol or a machine gun (bar the bosses and even with those if you keep an eye on the health bars the different guns dont seem to have that big an impact).

There certainly is an impressive selection of guns on offer but no Famas or PSG-1. It would have been nice if they had included these as well for old times sake. It would have been cool to pick these up in act 4 along with the

SOCOM

Just completed Act 2 :wub:

The whole tracking side of things was superb and I thought it was really clever the way that you could charge through all gungo ho or sneak past the guards with ease. I wasn't expecting there to be vehicles in the game but was a real joy riding through those zombie PMC's and blowing the crap out of them. Raiden is still annoying though even after all these years.

I thought the start of Act 3

was pretty poor and boring. Following that resistant member seemed to take for ages and on the couple of times I lost him I just didnt like the way you could go back a few corners then return to see the same fella back in place. Even if I had shot him. Thankfully the bike stuff more than made up for it :wub:

Oh my god. Just finished this.

The amount of feelings of nostalgia that came flooding back... Quite overwhelming, really.

Made me think back to when I started playing this series nine years ago and how young I was! Wish I could somehow go back and play it all through again fresh.

The nostalgia element seen here is a fierce emotion at times, I played it through with a friend who I've grown up with over the years, and who I've followed the series avidly with too. MGS4 is an unashamed celebration of the most glorious rubbish ever.

The nostalgia element seen here is a fierce emotion at times, I played it through with a friend who I've grown up with over the years, and who I've followed the series avidly with too. MGS4 is an unashamed celebration of the most glorious rubbish ever.

Amen.

I'm saving up for that shotgun attachment. Sounds like fun.

Without going out of my way to search for items, I found both the Masterkey shotgun attachment and the grenade launcher. IIRC, the shotgun was in Act 2, and the grenade in Act 4. As for the weapons, it wasn't until Act 4 that I started playing about with the various rifles, instead of just relying on the M4. The range might seem excessive and unnecessary, but they all handle differently and have unique strengths and weaknesses. I'm on my second play through, and have touched the M4 yet.

I decided to fire up MGS3 yesterday, to see how it compares. I'd lost a great deal of interest in the series after the disappointing last half of MGS2, so originally came to MGS3 not expecting much. It rocked my world as much as RE4. When I finished MGS4, I still had the memory of how much I'd enjoyed 3, so didn't think the latest game quite matched up to it. Playing Snake Eater again yesterday, and I can see I was wrong. MGS4 is a significant improvement. Controls alone, which while initially clunky in GOTP, are head and shoulders above those found in 3. While I found the camo and cure aspects of Snake Eater enjoyably videogamey first time round, it's far from streamlined and takes way too much menu drilling to do simple things.

For my 2nd run through, I'm playing it on Big Boss Hard, which is the first time I've played a MGS game on anything other than the default difficulty. I was expecting it to be frustrating, but so far, it seems like it shares the quality of Halo, where increasing the difficulty changes the game for the better, and forces you to approaching situations with more caution and strategy. Combined with knowing to instantly skip all scenes with Drebin or Otacon in is making this run a whole lot more enjoyable.

I'm still annoyed that Meryl and Snake's old relationship wasn't explored, what with them just being reunited and him falling to pieces from age.

I thought that it was pretty clear in that scene that

Meryl is concerned for him, but Snake dosen't want any of it, so her attitude shifts to "fine then, be that way", until Akiba (Johnny) saves her life & her attention shifts more towards him.

I wouldn't say GTA4 ever gives you a sandbox toolset. In missions at least it's as linear as MGS4.

GTA is a sandbox toolset which contains missions within it as an integral component, it's the very definition of sandbox gaming. Incidentally I played all day yesterday and I only got mildly annoyed once or twice, overall it's incredible.

Back on topic, I played through the first mission of MGS4 again with the difficulty ramped up and I enjoyed it a LOT more. Maybe my familiarity with it and the lack of a pressing need to push forward helped me to enjoy it more. Still, it completely pales in comparison to the fun I'm having with GTA4, which is weird because I typically haven't enjoyed GTA that much in the past. Once again I'm exclusively using the M4 pretty much. Shotgun attachment helps a lot for taking out the frogs!

I'm a bit late to this party but shall add my thoughts regardless (just finished Act 1).

The Good

+ Immense atmosphere. Really incredible attention to detail, even by Kojima's standards there's a lot going on here from the hectic, dust-blown clutter of the streets to the sound of slaughter going on all around it's pretty engrossing (although the "pinging" of the weapons being dropped tends to sully the horror of it somewhat)

+ The Octo-camo system is better than scrolling through dozens of combinations of camo/ face paint

+ Not so many codecs (yet)

+ The cutscenes, while abundant (but not too much - yet), are awesome. The character models, the action choreography, the "cinematography" (can that term apply to games?).... brilliant.

+ It is nice when you realise that not everyone on the streets is trying to kill you. Despite me having Snake twat numerous rebels they still went out of their way to not kill me in the final segment of act 1, even thanking me for my efforts (I've no idea how they know who Snake is. I assume this will be revealed.)

+ The humour is as good as ever, if a little puerile at times. I thought I was maybe a bit too old to laugh at a man farting and shitting himself but it really was making me laugh when the froggs attacked and Jonny was letting rip and everyone was telling him to sod off ("Stay downwind!" was one instruction from Meryl)

The bad

- The controls are annoying. Although only slightly modified from previous MGS games, they're different enough to cause confusion. Why, for instance, have they changed the shooting from R1-aim + Square-fire, to L1-aim + R1-fire? Why instead of just aiming the stick towards a wall to lean against it do you now have to press a button to toggle Snake's position? Utter pointlessness.

- Snake remains exposed for far too long after rolling round a corner to take a shot at someone. In MGS2 he was superfast.

- CQC isn't much better than in MGS3, still far too sensitive to execute in an intense situation.

- The ipod. Listening to completely inappropriate ballads while engaging in a huge battle may have been amusing for a short while on GTA games but here it's just wrong. I don't care if Hideo does love his ipod.

- Fascist "DO THIS/ DO NOT DO THAT" messages when installing.

- Where is the MGS tune? That bit of music?

Another problem is more personal than any fault of the game, but after years of trying to play MGS games properly (not killing anyone, not alerting guards etc) it is very difficult not be be frustrated with blundering through the new game like a drunken elephant, raising all manner of trouble and being left with little choice but to slaughter. Realistically though, it's just not going to happen on first play-through and I should stop pretending that I'm going to do an admirable job of it.

There certainly is an impressive selection of guns on offer but no Famas or PSG-1. It would have been nice if they had included these as well for old times sake.

Or, you could say, for old times "snake".

*Tumbleweeds*

The bad

- The ipod. Listening to completely inappropriate ballads while engaging in a huge battle may have been amusing for a short while on GTA games but here it's just wrong. I don't care if Hideo does love his ipod.

But its optional. Dont use it? I havent even turned it on yet and I'm up to Act 3. The game doesnt force you to use it from what Ive seen so how can this possibly be a bad point?

Something Awful's video game article this week seemed appropriate.

Japanese Plots

Working your way through a Japanese game is like having one of those dreams where you start off in a Pittsburgh bowling alley dry humping some woman you saw in a LensCrafters commercial then find yourself in a submarine playing Jenga with sticks of dynamite. Everything keeps moving forward as if it makes sense, but none of it really does.

Let me get this straight, video game: The main character has amnesia as the result of a very recent experiment that made him immortal. He is also several thousand years old. Also, he can be killed even though he is immortal. Also, it turns out that this isn't the present, but the future, and the world is really Heaven. Now he's going to fight a half-ape half-zeppelin to prevent it from stealing a crystal that, if destroyed, would erase the emotion we know as "love" as well as anyone named Tim. Also, the crystal is the real Earth and it turns out the main character is just the physical embodiment of a dead vampire's memory but everything else is totally real.

Do I pinch myself to wake up from this bullshit or just... oh yes, there's the power button.

Ok, I'm new to Metal Gear (as some will have seen in the PS3 thread) but have been catching up on all the story before playing MGS4. I like what I've read and was really looking forward to starting the game. Finished the first act yesterday and I'm enjoying it but I'm not blown away just yet. It looks amazing and I definitely get a RE4 vibe with certain sections

ie. Meeting up with Meryl and the subsequent shootout

but

I wanted a big finale to Act 1 and there wasn't one.

MGS really is it's own game though and I've not played anything quite like it before. One complaint would be that the general street fighting sections felt a bit dull

I was using the Rebel disguise as using the camo-suit didn't seem to be an option due to then having two armies looking for you. I did switch to camo when it was just me Vs the P. Mantis soldiers though and that was more enjoyable.

It also felt a bit like all the really cool bits

like the Mech's/crazy cyborg people

were left to the cut-scenes. I do enjoy watching them though and have a feeling I'll get my chance...

It took me 2hrs50min (total playtime was shown as 4hr not much later so I assume cut-scenes aren't counted in the stats screen) which looks quick compared to Syntax's stat screen posted earlier in the thread (I've only read to about pg104) and I didn't feel like I was running and gunning (I killed a lot less than Syntax).

Really looking forward to Act 2 and if my post seemed a little negative it's because highlighting the one or two disappointing aspects or lulls in the game is easier than the hundreds of cool touches.

ps. can someone explain the Psyche guage and Stress level to me (I've missed it if they've told me in-game). How do they affect Snake?

Neither army is looking for you. They're in their own fight which you can avoid completely if you wish. I think you can also start shooting at a certain army and the other will then side with you if they see you helping them out.

If you want a big finale just wait for act 3/4/5 which define big finales. Can't wait to play through it again.

Psyche guage and Stress level seemed pointless to me. I played through the whole game and didn't notice either. I think too much stress affects your aim.

Neither army is looking for you. They're in their own fight which you can avoid completely if you wish. I think you can also start shooting at a certain army and the other will then side with you if they see you helping them out.

Yeah, I worded that wrongly but both would say 'LOOK! THE ENEMY!' if I was strolling about in my camo-suit. I didn't know I could side with them other than wearing the disguise. Seems there's plenty to do on multiple playthroughs.

Yeah I kept shooting the PMCs which meant the rebels wouldn't shoot me. Whenever they saw me they just said stuff like "oh, it's you!", "who are you anyway?" or "thanks buddy!" when helping them out.

Yeah, I worded that wrongly but both would say 'LOOK! THE ENEMY!' if I was strolling about in my camo-suit. I didn't know I could side with them other than wearing the disguise. Seems there's plenty to do on multiple playthroughs.

We have an invention called the manual.

And you can give them rations to make them like you more. I love all of the totally optional stuff in this, I really don't understand why people have complained about there being things you don't need to use.

I imagine it's because a lot of people (especially reviewers) are grinding through the game because it's supposed to be a big thing that you have an opinion on. Heaven forbid that somebody actually plays a game for fun and discovers that you can mess around and enjoy yourself with stuff.

Didn't one of the big releases last year have this problem? Lots of apparently-redundant stuff which is just in there so you can have fun and isn't essential to clearing the game?

Edit- Biglime's Bioshock review, that's what I was thinking of.

We have an invention called the manual.

I used to read them before every game, honest. They started turning into 6 page control leaflets though. MGS4's is quite impressive though, I'll make sure to dig in. A quick flick reveals I can grab soldiers and slit their throat. Lovely.