Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

The bad

- The controls are annoying. Although only slightly modified from previous MGS games, they're different enough to cause confusion. Why, for instance, have they changed the shooting from R1-aim + Square-fire, to L1-aim + R1-fire? Why instead of just aiming the stick towards a wall to lean against it do you now have to press a button to toggle Snake's position? Utter pointlessness.

- Snake remains exposed for far too long after rolling round a corner to take a shot at someone. In MGS2 he was superfast.

- CQC isn't much better than in MGS3, still far too sensitive to execute in an intense situation.

- The ipod. Listening to completely inappropriate ballads while engaging in a huge battle may have been amusing for a short while on GTA games but here it's just wrong. I don't care if Hideo does love his ipod.

- Fascist "DO THIS/ DO NOT DO THAT" messages when installing.

- Where is the MGS tune? That bit of music?

:(

:P

Honestly that's one crazy list.

Trying a bit too hard to not like something?

The triangle button leaning is brilliant. It's so you don't have to hold the stick towards the surface you're sticking to, allowing you to use the camera to look around. Alternatively, it also helps you not accidentally stick to walls if you just want to walk along by them, very useful in the Online game.

Also please take the warning messages with a pinch of salt - notice one of them says "STEALTH WARNING: You are about to undertake a sneaking mission!" occasionally after Health Warning - they're not all serious.

EDIT: in response to chad.

I used to read them before every game, honest. They started turning into 6 page control leaflets though. MGS4's is quite impressive though, I'll make sure to dig in. A quick flick reveals I can grab soldiers and slit their throat. Lovely.

View the briefing from the menu. It tells you pretty much everything you can do. Like holding them up, grabbing, throwing, throat slitting, etc.

Just through the first boss and now I'm convinced. The next section also looks great. The game definitely seems to be a notch up graphically on anything else I've seen aswell.

I feel that I'm rushing things slightly by skirting the battlefield and avoiding any combat but then, I guess that's how it's meant to be played. I just know that I'm not seeing lots of locations fully. That can be for second play-throughs. Part of me does enjoy the cut-scenes just as much as the gameplay and I want to see the full story asap so that I'm then free of spoilers. I haven't seen the game over screen yet (Solid difficulty) but there was a section on the

approach to the Mansion where I dug deep into my supply of rations after some clumsy play.

edit: I'll check that out Soong.

The bad

- Snake remains exposed for far too long after rolling round a corner to take a shot at someone. In MGS2 he was superfast.

But snakes body is ageing, why would he be able to roll like a man in his 20s?

- The ipod. Listening to completely inappropriate ballads while engaging in a huge battle may have been amusing for a short while on GTA games but here it's just wrong. I don't care if Hideo does love his ipod.

Then don't listen to ballads during huge battles? Either don't use it, or select different music. Theres a really good bit of mgs1 music on there that works well for battles

- Fascist "DO THIS/ DO NOT DO THAT" messages when installing.

Facist? WTF? I don't see how health advice is facist. Are Nintendo's constant health and safety warnings every time you start the machine and a game facist? I think not

- Where is the MGS tune? That bit of music?

This however is a real pisser. Hopefully It makes it as a free dlc for the iPod

Another problem is more personal than any fault of the game, but after years of trying to play MGS games properly (not killing anyone, not alerting guards etc) it is very difficult not be be frustrated with blundering through the new game like a drunken elephant, raising all manner of trouble and being left with little choice but to slaughter. Realistically though, it's just not going to happen on first play-through and I should stop pretending that I'm going to do an admirable job of it.

this is a surprisingly common complaint, and I think people are just tackling it in the wrong frame of mind. The constant firefights and ease of weapons acquisition seems to be confusing people.

That Akiba guy is the best character so far. Reminds me of how I'd be if I actually existed in the metal gear universe. :(

Everyone else, good or bad, is generally a bit too cool for school.

I read a spoiler here that

Akiba gets it on with Meryl

which should be fun. The relationship stuff is the best part about this story!

Played through most of Act 1 again now I know what I'm doing. It's much better when you have a grasp of the situation. I assisted the rebels in a firefight and when passing through their base they let me go once they'd checked who I was. Still got spotted a few times though.

But snakes body is ageing, why would he be able to roll like a man in his 20s?

Because he's wearing a muscle suit?

Facist? WTF? I don't see how health advice is facist. Are Nintendo's constant health and safety warnings every time you start the machine and a game facist? I think not

Alright then maybe not fascist but patronising and unnecessary.

this is a surprisingly common complaint, and I think people are just tackling it in the wrong frame of mind. The constant firefights and ease of weapons acquisition seems to be confusing people.

Trying to play MGS without killing or getting spotted is hardly "the wrong frame of mind". It's just something that isn't particularly realistic on first playthrough.

Trying to play MGS without killing or getting spotted is hardly "the wrong frame of mind". It's just something that isn't particularly realistic on first playthrough.

No, I mean more the people assuming that they have no chance to be stealthy. The firefights make them think theres no stealth, which is frankly rubbish.

finished it again today.

its even better the second time i think. skipped nearly all the cut scenes and codecs. just watched a little bit of some of the cooler ones. the controls also seem much nicer now i'm used to them, not half as fiddly as they seem at first. and knowing roughly where to go and where enemies are makes it much easier to play it 'properly'. first time through was a bit rough, having to fight my way out of plenty of scrapes. but this time i sneaked a pretty large portion of it. only 10 kills this time. still took over 12 hours even not watching all the cinematics. (18 hours first time) any longer and i dont think i would have bothered doing it a second time, as it is i'll try and blast through it again, this time it'll be total carnage. i really want to get the stealth suit without using somebody elses save, so i'll be saving up and hoping theres enough for it at the end half price sale.

lovely game :(

No, I mean more the people assuming that they have no chance to be stealthy. The firefights make them think theres no stealth, which is frankly rubbish.

I don't understand why in the midst of a huge gun battle the PMC soldiers would be alarmed by the sight of Snake despite all that is going on around them, especially when Snake is wearing the Militia disguise. Still, it wouldn't be a MGS game if you didn't raise alarms.

I don't understand why in the midst of a huge gun battle the PMC soldiers would be alarmed by the sight of Snake despite all that is going on around them, especially when Snake is wearing the Militia disguise. Still, it wouldn't be a MGS game if you didn't raise alarms.

Havent you just answered your own question there?

The PMC's are fighting the Militia

Snake is disguised in a Militia outfit?

Hence Snake = Enemy.....

Is it possible to be leaned up against a corner, having someone walking up to you and to jump out and cqc/grab them?

Nope. Once you've pressed triangle to pin yourself up against a surface, R1 no longer grabs people to begin CQC. Which took me a while (and several bullets to the face) to figure out! If you do want to grab people, press triangle first.

Havent you just answered your own question there?

The PMC's are fighting the Militia

Snake is disguised in a Militia outfit?

Hence Snake = Enemy.....

No, because it doesnt really make sense that they single out Snake (in that outfit) as a unique enemy and call for backup.

On this playthrough I've been playing around in Act 2 a lot more, having fun with my Saiga automatic shotgun thing and V-ringing people silly or getting them all goofy on emotion ammo. I noticed more areas that I just kind of skirted around the first time, like a second base in the confinement area etc.

But one thing that bothered me was that it didn't seem to matter how much I interfered, I couldn't get the rebels to win anywhere but the power station. At the confinement areas and the mansion, I took out stacks of guards all over the place, but the rebels never advanced and just kept spawning in handfuls and waiting around for the enemy to come and kill them.

That's a shame because I quite liked helping them take the power station, my first play through I just slipped in and out. Still, I got lots of drebin points! And even had a wee flashback sound clip play (from MGS1 I think) that lead to Snake throwing up because I took out so much of the enemy.

On this playthrough I've been playing around in Act 2 a lot more, having fun with my Saiga automatic shotgun thing and V-ringing people silly or getting them all goofy on emotion ammo. I noticed more areas that I just kind of skirted around the first time, like a second base in the confinement area etc.

But one thing that bothered me was that it didn't seem to matter how much I interfered, I couldn't get the rebels to win anywhere but the power station. At the confinement areas and the mansion, I took out stacks of guards all over the place, but the rebels never advanced and just kept spawning in handfuls and waiting around for the enemy to come and kill them.

That's a shame because I quite liked helping them take the power station, my first play through I just slipped in and out. Still, I got lots of drebin points! And even had a wee flashback sound clip play that lead to Snake throwing up!

"You love all the killing. That's why."

:lol:

No, because it doesnt really make sense that they single out Snake (in that outfit) as a unique enemy and call for backup.

I never experience this at all.

The only thing that came close was in act 2 but then it was because I was walking about in normal sneaking suit. and they did get alerted to "unknown enemy"

I think it's safe to say that Liquid would have ensured his own PMCs watched out for "some mad old cunt in a gimp suit running around like a spanner" and treated them as a priority target. Just a theory.

I was just saying that's what Chadruharazzeb meant.

That is indeed all I meant. "It's the enemy!", who is, the dozens of gunmen shooting at you or the bloke running around in the background collecting things? Just seems like a lapse in logic given that nobody who's there in the Middle East knows who Snake is except Meryl and Liquid. Even the Rebels say "Oh it's you" as though they recognise him.

I'll try act 2 again soon as it was excellent. Very Snake Eater-y. I thought I hadn't killed anyone but it seemed those zombiefied soldiers at the end count towards the total.

I finished it for the second time last night.

Oof, rewatching some of the cutscenes really drove home how bad the writing is generally. And is it just me or did Snake barely say anything of consequence in the entire game?

Oof, rewatching some of the cutscenes really drove home how bad the writing is generally. And is it just me or did Snake barely say anything of consequence in the entire game?

Well, no, he didn't. But the playable character never really does in an MGS game.

Well, no, he didn't. But the playable character never really does in an MGS game.

It just seemed more noticeable than it did in the others. Still, that ending though, jesus. Twenty minutes to say absolutely fuck all and ruin what was a perfectly pitched end.

the endings much better if you skip a few bits

meryls wedding...fair enough.

raiden reunited with his son and rose?... no thanks, he's dead

snake in graveyard, gun shot

skip the rest, hes dead too.

no drunk drebin conspiracy stuff

big boss never came back

thats how i do it.

How did Raiden lose his left arm anyway? Act 5 is a total mess not just in terms of weird story inconsistency but in the gameplay as well. One proper area, a boss fight, boring corridor battle and then an (admittedly excellent) final boss fight? Fuck off. I really hope they're going to do some Snake Tales style side missions or VR missions. Actually, I'd quite like a mode where you play as Rat Patrol and do little missions that involve using all four of them.