IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

It's actually Raidenovich's body. He was kept alive by nanomachines and ghosts (but not really ghosts, just ghostly apparitions of nanomachine controlling energy) and worshipped by a group of cross dressing politicians that secretly rule the whole of continental Europe. And they've got a boat with all of their faces on it. Which was made in the 90s after they had split up as a group.

It's actually Raidenovich's body. He was kept alive by nanomachines and ghosts (but not really ghosts, just ghostly apparitions of nanomachine controlling energy) and worshipped by a group of cross dressing politicians that secretly rule the whole of continental Europe. And they've got a boat with all of their faces on it. Which was made in the 90s after they had split up as a group.

Sadly this makes more sense than the actual plot :lol:

Started playing this yesterday and I'm starting to get in to it. I played for about two and a half hours and I'm still on Act I.

The controls took a bit of getting used to and I found myself getting killed due to a mix of wrong buttonitus and the camera spazzing out when I make an arse of things getting caught up in a gunfight. It probably took me most of yesterdays play to get my head around the controls, and to add to that shame I've managed to get lost a couple of times too! I'm also going through ration packs like smarties. :lol:

That said I'm enjoying the game and hopefully I'll start to get my head around the maps and sneak my way around. My best moment was a nice step from cover to take out a guard and just slip away. I also liked it when I took out a PMC soldier after wandering head first in to another battle that the malitia guy next to me thanked me for helping him.

Are the controls really that confusing? I thought they would be confusing, but when it came to it I had no trouble at all

Not sure confusing would be the right term, but for some reason I keep getting a dose of wrong buttonitus. Keep toggling weapons and items when I need to be shooting.

I found that adding the crouch walk instantly made the controls easier for me to use than in any of the previous games. I tried to play Portable Ops last week and I kept trying to walk but ended up crawling because I was crouching, and I remember doing exactly the same thing in MGS3.

The change to the controls from MGS3 to 4 are completely pointless. I can't think of a single reason for the changes.

For a highly-trained soldier Snake's never been much good in a stand-up fight before MGS4. The new controls make the game, IMO.

The change to the controls from MGS3 to 4 are completely pointless. I can't think of a single reason for the changes.

Because the MGS4 controls are much better in almost every way. The shooting changes you mentioned before allow full, proper third person aiming and shooting.

How did Raiden lose his left arm anyway?

He was pinned and his arm was crushed under the rubble on the exit tunnel from Shadow Moses after Ray shot at Rex, he then cut his own arm off to go and stop Outer Haven from killing Snake. He wasn't crushed to death as Mei Ling arrived and Ocelot ordered the Haven to withdraw. The natural assumption was that Raiden was dead but his body just slipped into the sea and was retrieved by Otacon later. His body is still artificial in the end scene, hence why he has his arm back, but they have taken off the armored power suit he was wearing.

He was pinned and his arm was crushed under the rubble on the exit tunnel from Shadow Moses after Ray shot at Rex, he then cut his own arm off to go and stop Outer Haven from killing Snake. He wasn't crushed to death as Mei Ling arrived and Ocelot ordered the Haven to withdraw. The natural assumption was that Raiden was dead but his body just slipped into the sea and was retrieved by Otacon later. His body is still artificial in the end scene, hence why he has his arm back, but they have taken off the armored power suit he was wearing.

Hang on a minute...

.if Ocelot wanted Snake to destroy GW and free the world from the Patriots then why did he try to run Snake over with the hull? There was no way he could have forseen Raiden cutting his own arm off.

No, because it doesnt really make sense that they single out Snake (in that outfit) as a unique enemy and call for backup.

Even if you've just popped up behind their barricades in enemy uniform? They're bound to shit themselves and panic a little bit.

And the guy who played that twat Otacon was terrible, he did some of the worst 'upset acting' I've ever heard.

He was pinned and his arm was crushed under the rubble on the exit tunnel from Shadow Moses after Ray shot at Rex, he then cut his own arm off to go and stop Outer Haven from killing Snake.

Yes, his right arm. He still had his left in the rest of the cutscene.

Personally I think the changes (ie; making L1 the aim and R1 the contextual attack button for bullets or CQC with R2 being the secondary weapon function) make all the combat and stealth scenarios about 10 times more fun to play than in MGS1, 2 and 3.

Now all we need is the first three SOLID games released with the adapted controls and a slight graphical facelift on one shiny BD-50. Ideally, I'd love for them to take MG1 and MG2 scenario and locales and release them in a MGS4-style 3D world. It'd be great for the current fans of the SOLID games to see how it all really began back in the 1980's but with todays graphical power. Oh well, we can all dream eh!? :lol:

Hang on a minute...

.if Ocelot wanted Snake to destroy GW and free the world from the Patriots then why did he try to run Snake over with the hull? There was no way he could have forseen Raiden cutting his own arm off.

I believe it was because Ocelot had lost control and Liquid's personality and hatred for Snake had taken over completely so he didn't care about the Patriots plan by then and just wanted Snake to be a hull ornament. It was only the FoxAlive that Drebin injected into Snake that allowed Ocelot to return briefly to allow Snake to beat him in the end melee. Well that's my understanding anyhoo.

I believe it was because Ocelot had lost control and Liquid's personality and hatred for Snake had taken over completely so he didn't care about the Patriots plan by then and just wanted Snake to be a hull ornament. It was only the FoxAlive that Drebin injected into Snake that allowed Ocelot to return briefly to allow Snake to beat him in the end melee. Well that's my understanding anyhoo.

But doesnt Big Boss say at the end of the game that Ocelot was just faking being Liquid?

Maybe it's just because its chock full of plot holes. Delightful nonsense usually is :lol:

But doesnt Big Boss say at the end of the game that Ocelot was just faking being Liquid?

He still was Liquid, just not in a 'possessed by a dead guys arm' way. In MGS2 he was initially faking being Liquid, but by the end the arm did actually take over so he decided to remove the arm and become Liquid through other, presumably more controllable means. Or something.

Yes, his right arm. He still had his left in the rest of the cutscene.

You're quite right. For some reason I just assumed it was still attached but useless and so it was strapped up out of the way. However I'd say your explanation more than covers it.

:lol:

He was under hypnosis and nanomachine control so although Big Boss says he was faking it a major part of Liquid's psyche was his intense hatred for Snake and wanting his utter destruction no matter the cost, as I'm sure Liquid says at the end fight atop Rex in MGS1. Raiden's rescue was purely luck on Snake's part as Raiden's sense of duty was as great as Snake, whose psyche profile along with Frank Jaeger, Raiden's war training was based on and was hammered home by the AI Campbell throughout MGS2. He knew that the mission had to be completed no matter the cost and so he knew he'd have to sacrifice his life to save Snake.

As for the whole reason Snake seems to survive my interpretation is that Les Enfant Terrible project was setup to create someone that had the power and genetic code to destroy the 'system' as Big Boss had tried to do in Zanzibar Land by creating Outer Heaven to circumvent the 'system'. Both Solidus and Liquid tried to destroy it by controlling it, one by subversion by being the man in ultimate control and the other by force and threat of nuclear annihilation and they failed, subsequently paying the ultimate price. So finally 'David' was going to be the Patriots tool to free the world from this control and no matter what happened they'd ensure that he'd always survive to complete his mission but without their involvement being revealed as he was the last chance. Big Boss, Drebin and Eva alluded to this without directly revealing any specific details in their respective final speeches.

Once again this is what I've been able to piece together and as Morrius says there are plotholes and inconsistencies so how about we just say leprechauns did it.

Big Boss is in MGS4? Surely not. They'd have to crowbar him in at the end in a really dull epilogue. Why, I'd probably mentally block out the whole section in disgust.

Big Boss is in MGS4? Surely not. They'd have to crowbar him in at the end in a really dull epilogue. Why, I'd probably mentally block out the whole section in disgust.

I quite liked the fact they added Big Boss at the end. I was pretty disappointed with Act 3 where his body burnt to a crisp as I felt the character needed more than that.

I quite liked the fact they added Big Boss at the end. I was pretty disappointed with Act 3 where his body burnt to a crisp as I felt the character needed more than that.

The reveal at the end was brilliant but it was completely ruined by what they had actually brought him back for, which was poorly written fan service. They really should have brought him back earlier, then had him team up with Snake and just made the rest like Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.