IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

Does it actually have 90 minute cut scenes then? Can they be skipped or paused or what?

No, that was completely exaggerated. The longest cutscene is, understandably, the end. I think it approaches an hour, with 5-10 minutes of it being the credits, but I couldn't say for exact because I've never timed them.

It has long cutscenes, dunno about 90 minutes though. They can be paused/skipped. You'll want to watch most of them though. There aren't many games where I watch a cutscene and then think it's about to go back to gameplay but I'm there going "no wait I wanna watch this shit!".

There is one end of act to start of act (2 to 3 IIRC, maybe 3 to 4) where the end of act cut scene, followed by install, followed by mission briefing, followed by intro cut scene probably weighs in at the 80+ minute mark. The ending is a complete slog, think Return of the King but worse.

However, some of the cut scenes are sublime.

I will reiterate once more: I'm not saying the controls are bad, just different enough to previous games to cause some confusion and disorientation.

Oh dear, how do you cope when you play a new game with their new-fangled and different control systems?

Hardest thing I've found is swapping between MGS4 and GTA4, I get trigger-swap confusion. For about 3 seconds.

No, that was completely exaggerated. The longest cutscene is, understandably, the end. I think it approaches an hour, with 5-10 minutes of it being the credits, but I couldn't say for exact because I've never timed them.

Actually the ending comes close to 90 minutes if you include the confrontation between

Liquid and Snake. I started the last run of cutscenes just before that at 9.20pm. Big Boss finished talking at 10.45pm and I barely spent 10 minutes kicking the crap out of Liquid. I didnt really mind at that stage those because it was the end of the tale.

Just finished Act 3 last night.

Can someone tell me why

Big Momma is carrying that corpse around with her? It's useless to her and Liquid needs it to achieve world domination. Why wasn't it destroyed long ago thereby ensuring that Liquid would never be able to get the damn thing?

There is a degree of Control tuition and learning in EVERY fucking game. Regardless of it's position as a sequel.

I don't get mad and confused because the control systems of COD4 and Halo3 are a bit different! They're both in the same genre.

MGS3 has an extremely convoluted control system. I love that game to bit but it sure was a bit of a hand cramp! The controller felt completely overloaded.

The Improved controls of MGS4 is one of it's biggest accomplishments. almost every move in MGS3 is available to you and MORE whilst also feeling streamlined and totally intuitive.

You found MGS3 confusing, I get confused by MGS4 because it's different to the other games. What makes you so right?

Big Momma is carrying that corpse around with her? It's useless to her and Liquid needs it to achieve world domination. Why wasn't it destroyed long ago thereby ensuring that Liquid would never be able to get the damn thing?

Its all explained in Act 5.

Did Act 1 again on Big Boss Hard but went totally crazy with the killing. Managed to get 118 kills, a fact of which I'm proud of :unsure:.

A nice easter egg was that

after you kill a certain amount of people you get some flashback audio of Liquid saying that you're a killer and always will be one (or something to that effect). Snake then preceded to throw up as a result.

The game totally holds up as an action game. Was so much fun to finally use all those weapons I acquired.

You found MGS3 confusing, I get confused by MGS4 because it's different to the other games. What makes you so right?

Because you think that moving fire from square to L1, fixing the issue with previous games which precluded moving and aiming at the same time in both third and first person like in any other action game, is a change for changes sake.

What does moving and aiming/firing at the same time have to do with peripheral vision? You're just arguing for the sake of it. As for the controls not hampering previous titles in the series, MGS3's biggest complaint was it's awkward controls.

I honestly have no idea what you're whinging about.

In the other games you were anchored to the spot when you moved to first person aiming, which was annoying. Retreating while still attacking wasn't possible. Changing one button, which is pretty easy to get your head around if you're not an idiot, has fixed that.

Hasn't hampered the other games any by not having this increased peripheral vision.

They deliberately and consistently avoid putting the player into gunfights with more than one character in the previous games because the controls could not support a running battle. They couldn't have made MGS4 the game it is without the new controls. The shifting of buttons was neither arbitrary, needless nor trivial, which is what you've been implying.

Time and time again, the same points coming up.

As for the controls not hampering previous titles in the series, MGS3's biggest complaint was it's awkward controls.
I will reiterate once more

Added to clipboard.

Time and time again, the same points coming up.

Added to clipboard.

Nobody is saying you're not allowed to be confused by the changes, regardless of the fact that they're not vastly different and the fact that they're not more in line with other third/first person games which should make them easier to adjust to. It's the fact that you think they were pointless changes that it demonstratively incorrect.

Aaah arguments on the internet. lol.

Anyway. I'm attempting a The Boss Extreme now, going for no alerts too :D going to be tough! I've reached the final part of Act 1 (well, the actiony bit near the end) and it's quite tough! Was gutted as on my first attempt, I nearly did it, died just before the end! Buggered if I can get that far again now though :(

Ninja'ing by everyone on this difficulty is so satifying though, they can spot you from miiiiiiles so you have to be uber careful; very cool :unsure:

Finished this with a monster session yesterday. I was just starting Act 3 at 4pm so thought I could get it done before midnight. It was nearly 4am by the time I'd finished! Some ridiculous cutscenes. Absolutely loved 'the game' though. Highlights would be

following the spy

and the

battle with Crying Wolf

. In fact most of

Shadow Moses

blew me away. It certainly sets a new benchmark for graphics aswell.

Having never played a Metal Gear title for more than the opening hour before consider me a new fan. Yes the story is absolutely mental and there are some cringeworthy moments in cutscenes but the actual game is superb.

Here are my final stats.

The animals I got, that I can remember, were Eagle, Pig, Snake (?), Tarantula, Hyena, Frog, Scorpion.

One section I messed up in was

the Vamp fight

. I knew what to do fairly early on but couldn't implement it and so lost a lot of rations. I think

Screaming Mantis

appears hot on the heels of that encounter so that didn't do me any favours either, thankfully I had just enough rations to see me through. Fairly close call though.

Can you buy Items from Drebin on a second playthrough?

I don't go back to many single player games but I'm definitely going back to this for a second helping. I didn't buy much from Drebin first time through so I expect there are lots of new things I can try.

Does everyone else have about 40 save files?

Act 4 -

Going back to Shadow Moses completely spooked me out. The whisper of old forgotten voices and seeing rooms that I'd ventured through about 10 years ago. Disturbing but fun especially when I made it to Otacon's old office only to see the remains of blood stains adorning the walls. Fantastic act and very well put together. The sniper boss fight had me on the edge of the seat and it was only after 10 or so minutes of play that I realised I could use the night vision to see what was coming :unsure:

The brief MGS 1 replay at the beginning completely threw me at first as I couldn't believe just how it had aged. 10 years is a hell of a long time in games terms it seems!

The only thing that irked me with that act and the one after was those stupid balls with hands. If they spotted you and the alarm sounded it seemed like a never ending supply would come after you. Very annoying especially if they got up close.

The sniper boss fight had me on the edge of the seat and it was only after 10 or so minutes of play that I realised I could use the night vision to see what was coming

That's my favourite part of the game I think and

I didn't use night vision. I just loved laying there in the snow, waiting. The incredible graphics helped I'm sure. That snow!

I've just remembered something I wanted to ask aswell

when you have to run through the market to 'get to the chopper' and there are some Gekkou in your way, I died about 3 times from the leg-swipe and then it just played the cut-scene after I continued.

Anyone else fail?

Slowly reading through the thread now and I see I totally missed

the rebel disguise from the start of Act 2. I snuck all the way through the opening section and up the hill without their help. Is the disguise in one of the buildings?

edit: I also missed

getting the beauties masks!

I knew there was more to those parts. In the end I was bored of

Drebin's explanations afterwards and actually skipped the final, Mantis one. It's the only thing I skipped in the game.

That's my favourite part of the game I think and

I didn't use night vision. I just loved laying there in the snow, waiting. The incredible graphics helped I'm sure. That snow!

when you have to run through the market to 'get to the chopper' and there are some Gekkou in your way, I died about 3 times from the leg-swipe and then it just played the cut-scene after I continued.

Anyone else fail?

the rebel disguise from the start of Act 2. I snuck all the way through the opening section and up the hill without their help. Is the disguise in one of the buildings?

edit: I also missed

getting the beauties masks!

I knew there was more to those parts. In the end I was bored of

Drebin's explanations afterwards and actually skipped the final, Mantis one. It's the only thing I skipped in the game.

I didnt know there was a rebel disguise. I thought if you helped them they returned the favour. Did for me.

As for the masks I thought you only recieved one, the face camo. After that you picked up their guns.

Anyone else fail?

Seriously, that's one of the most dick bits in the game. It's a real shit. The first time I succeeded, the

Gekko at the end leg sweeped me into the next area

. Fucking what.

Seriously, that's one of the most dick bits in the game. It's a real shit. The first time I succeeded, the

Gekko at the end leg sweeped me into the next area

. Fucking what.

I just ran upto him at an angle and rolled by. Jobs a good un.

I still cant get over the start of Act 3.

WTF was all that pedestrian tailing about?

I missed it too! And the camera, where's that?! I think I missed most stuff on my first play through. I imagine my second will be just as bad (going for stealth and speed) but on my third I'll take my time, explore everything and shoot everyone.

I missed it too! And the camera, where's that?! I think I missed most stuff on my first play through. I imagine my second will be just as bad (going for stealth and speed) but on my third I'll take my time, explore everything and shoot everyone.

You can get the camera behind Sunny's PC on Act 2, or upstairs in Act 4

If you wait til Act 4 you get some extra pictures already stored on it.

You can get it just by loading up the corresponding briefing in the Mission Briefing menu as opposed to loading up and playing the game again.

Still working my way through the thread and it seems loads of us ended up finishing the game after 3am. It's a shame in a way that I was almost willing the cut-scene to end so I could get some sleep.

I still cant get over the start of Act 3.

WTF was all that pedestrian tailing about?

I seem to be in the minority that enjoyed that bit even though

on my first attempt I lost the spy early on when he stops and you have to clear a path. I went over the walkway and carried on...

It made me really want

a detective game. Though perhaps I'm just a wannabe stalker.

I'd really like to see the Making Of, has anyone tracked that down online yet? (PM welcome)

ps. where do I get the

Raiden mask?