Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

Still working my way through the thread and it seems loads of us ended up finishing the game after 3am. It's a shame in a way that I was almost willing the cut-scene to end so I could get some sleep.

I seem to be in the minority that enjoyed that bit even though

on my first attempt I lost the spy early on when he stops and you have to clear a path. I went over the walkway and carried on...

It made me really want

a detective game. Though perhaps I'm just a wannabe stalker.

I'd really like to see the Making Of, has anyone tracked that down online yet? (PM welcome)

ps. where do I get the

Raiden mask?

For the last part -

bump into Sunny and/or Naomi with the Mk2 in one of the briefings to get two Raiden masks. Visor Open/closed

I seem to be in the minority that enjoyed that bit even though

on my first attempt I lost the spy early on when he stops and you have to clear a path. I went over the walkway and carried on...

My guy got hit by the patrolling truck as he crossed the road

:(

spoiler stuff
spoiler stuff

Cheers both.

With the extras you get (I got a few things after the stats screen) for a second playthrough do you have to start a new game or could I load up an old save and they become available? I'm presuming the former but thought I'd ask. I have saves before most of the set pieces and it would be good just to jump in there with new toys but I guess I'd need to play to that point again and save and then again on a third playthrough to have stuff like

the stealth suit.

Cheers both.

With the extras you get (I got a few things after the stats screen) for a second playthrough do you have to start a new game or could I load up an old save and they become available? I'm presuming the former but thought I'd ask. I have saves before most of the set pieces and it would be good just to jump in there with new toys but I guess I'd need to play to that point again and save and then again on a third playthrough to have stuff like the stealth suit.

Yeah, load up the "End" save to launch a new game. When you meet up with the Mk2 again it will all be there.

Well I've just started Act 2 on Extreme with no alerts or kills or recovery items so far! Woot! :)

Brutally got to see some guy get exectued while finding optimium sneaking path at the start of this act, hehe love the little touches.

Out of interest, does the cardboard box ever work any more? I'm guessing it's supposed to be more of a gag, since it says 'nowhere to hideo' on the side..

Oh oh! And I found another cool little thing.. ^_^ Try hitting the remote control for the TV with Mk2 during briefings! :(

Just got to the Act 4 boss. Have to say that Act 3

seemed a rather pointless and brief side-quest which really showed up the AI's weaknesses.

Act 4 also

seemed to lack much in the way of things to do, but was so incredibly atmospheric and full of memories that it was a joy to play

Does playing on harder levels (I'm on Solid Snake mode) make these levels more interesting or just more annoying?

Damnit! How do you get the cardboard box?

You know in Act 1,

before you've gotten to the MK.II, where the tank pulls up and you sneak in the building to the right of it, and then crawl past it?

The building on the other side of the road, to the left of the tank, that the PMC soldiers are patrolling. The cardboard box is there. It's on the floor inside next to a locker, which contains (I think) some noodles.

(The building next to the tank is where the falling militia guy set piece is, followed by the part where you crawl through a hole to see a militia soldier getting executed as he screams 'please don't shoot' at the PMC)

Is MGO down? Just been through the 15 minute pain in the ass signup, received the confirmation email and confirmed. Yet when I go to login it claims my password is wrong and theres no link to reconfirm.

I just played a full hour of it without issue.

Is MGO down? Just been through the 15 minute pain in the ass signup, received the confirmation email and confirmed. Yet when I go to login it claims my password is wrong and theres no link to reconfirm.

Are you sure you're using your Game ID and numerical password? It's easy to get mixed up with your Konami ID.

The MGO servers also get spruced up on Tuesdays, so maybe that's the issue; I can't remember the maintenance window at the moment.

Out of interest, does the cardboard box ever work any more? I'm guessing it's supposed to be more of a gag, since it says 'nowhere to hideo' on the side..

In Act 4, the little robot things cannot see past them (but you're out of luck if they roll into you). Also with Gekkos, regardless of what a cutscene at the very beginning of the game would suggest.

It's in the rebel base under some piping.

Actually there's one even before that, literally seconds from the start of the first proper area! You start in an alleyway, and make your way onto the street. There are two PMC soldiers walking away from you. If you cross to the left of the road, there's a building you can nip round the back into, there's a box in there on the floor by some lockers.

I've reached Act 2 boss on my Extreme/No Alerts/Kills, nearly did it first go, but I got pwned by the ball attack, had done about 80% damage too! :) All is going swimmingly generally though. That said, the first part of Act 2 was a bitch! :wacko:

Wish the (endgame:)

emotion

ammo didn't cause a caution alert after wearing off tho :(

Edit: ICECOLD said the same about the box, I now realise :D

Act 4 :wacko:

Sentimental much? Man, is it emotional. I could barely concentrate on the game I was too busy looking around and feeling (a bit too) nostalgic at the little MGS1 soundbites that keep popping up. The little playable MGS1 intro to the level was great*, and when "The Best Is Yet To Come" starts when you reach the heli-pad... powerful stuff. For some reason one of the most poignant moments for me was when you enter the first side room off the heli-pad and Snake sees the security camera and it falls off the wall.

I really wish those shitty armball things weren't around, I'd much rather there be nothing at all or some proper MGS patrol guards milling around. Still, even they can't ruin a really melancholy and evocative gaming segment (just done Crying Wolf. Is the rail gun you get off her the same kind of thing that Fortune had in MGS2?).

* I set the alert off instantly, lol. I'd just nipped in between the searchlights and just before I got out of the way the damn light went over my foot and the bloody alarm went off.

Act 4 :D

Sentimental much? Man, is it emotional. I could barely concentrate on the game I was too busy looking around and feeling (a bit too) nostalgic at the little MGS1 soundbites that keep popping up. The little playable MGS1 intro to the level was great*, and when "The Best Is Yet To Come" starts when you reach the heli-pad... powerful stuff. For some reason one of the most poignant moments for me was when you enter the first side room off the heli-pad and Snake sees the security camera and it falls off the wall.

I really wish those shitty armball things weren't around, I'd much rather there be nothing at all or some proper MGS patrol guards milling around. Still, even they can't ruin a really melancholy and evocative gaming segment (just done Crying Wolf. Is the rail gun you get off her the same kind of thing that Fortune had in MGS2?).

* I set the alert off instantly, lol. I'd just nipped in between the searchlights and just before I got out of the way the damn light went over my foot and the bloody alarm went off.

Heheh :( This is why MGS4 is amazing, basically.

Re: the little camera thing you mentioned: it can happen in another location too, if you go there first :)

Aaaah what a game :wacko:

Act 4 :D

It's amazing isn't it? Keep playing, act 4 gets even better. :wacko:

MGO update news -

July 4th:

New mode - Team Sneaking

New Setting - Headshot kill

July 17th:

Bonus Pack (1200yen) - Johnny and Meryl playable, Female PMCs can be created, 3 new maps, Official Survival Battle can be played

Updates:

The 3 maps are

Shadow Moses, Meiling's Ship and MGS1 Heliport.

Team Sneaking is the only new MODE. It has two teams, a sneaking team and a defending team. The sneaking team can use stealth camo.

The headshot mode SETTING. When it is turned on, you can only kill a player with a headshot.

Paying for maps that are ripped directly from the single player, yay!

Two of which are from the most awesome part of the game and one of which you never atually get to play on.

Any word on UK prices? What's an Official Survival Battle?