Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

I'm not entirely sure I understand why Liquid

was pretending to be an insane megalomaniac. Wouldn't it have been simpler to have gone along with Snake instead of constantly trying to kill him? And what if he HAD killed Snake? His plan would have failed.

And weren't the guards at Shadow Moses in MGS1 genome soldiers? Does that mean that Johnny Shitpants is one, too?

And weren't the guards at Shadow Moses in MGS1 genome soldiers? Does that mean that Johnny Shitpants is one, too?

The database says he is the son of some Russian so he def isnt a genome soldier. Maybe he was one of the inital hired guards before the genome guards were brought into play and decided to stay?

He had me puzzled as well.

So Raiden did not get crushed by a 500,000 ton gear, he just "lost an arm". Doesn't matter that he lost an arm though - he found a body!! Maybe it was the rest of Liquid's which had been frozen in the snow on Shadow Moses (minus, ironically, an arm).

Yeah, that was amazingly anime and stupid ;)

I was expecting to get all emotional at the ending but I felt absolutely nothing. Nothing! Big Boss shows up and talks utter drivel for half an hour, suggests that actually Liquid had honourable intentions. Right, whatever.

Liquid may not have, but Ocelot did..

Why does Foxdie kill Big Boss when it's meant to target specific DNA?

Uhm. The Fox Die Snake gets off Drebin is designed (by the Patriots) to go specifically for Big Boss/Ocelot/Eva/Naomi. Did you not pay attention to Big Boss then?! :D

When exactly did Naomi start colluding with Big Boss?

She had her own agenda, of cleaning up the mess she had created. As far as I can tell, her and Ocelot have been in cahoots since MGS1.

Why does Snake keep going to that grave? He has no idea who The Boss is.

I assumed it was Big Boss' grave. Which Snake would visit since, you know, Big Boss was his mentor/whatever back in the day.

Edit: shit, already covered. lol

The database says he is the son of some Russian so he def isnt a genome soldier. Maybe he was one of the inital hired guards before the genome guards were brought into play and decided to stay?

He had me puzzled as well.

His grandfather was Russian, he was raised in the Atates. I'm guessing he joined the Next-Gen Spec Forces for all the gizmos and shiznit.

I assumed it was Big Boss' grave. Which Snake would visit since, you know, Big Boss was his mentor/whatever back in the day.

I thought it was The Boss's grave which is why Big Boss puts The Patriot gun on it and asks to be taken over there before he croaks?

So why was Naomi humping Vamp if she had been in cahoots with Liquid since MGS 1?

Because they're noth after the same goal? Anyway, I dunno about humping. She was playing up to him to keep him sweet I think, not hard when she basically gave him immortality.

Because they're noth after the same goal? Anyway, I dunno about humping. She was playing up to him to keep him sweet I think, not hard when she basically gave him immortality.

She was all over him in Rex's bunker. I know it was meant to be an act but it looked like there was humping going on behind the scenes to me.

She was all over him in Rex's bunker. I know it was meant to be an act but it looked like there was humping going on behind the scenes to me.

There's ALWAYS humping going on behind the scenes with you. ;) But yeah, that scene did feel pretty off. I think it didn't work as intended.

And another thing, easily the most important. Why did Meryl l

ook pretty tasty in her Foxhound gear and yet she looked like a fucking transsexual in her wedding outfit?

Liquid may not have, but Ocelot did..

I assume it was still Liquid in control of Ocelot when he meets Snake at the end and says it worked out exactly as he hoped. Big Boss himself said that Solidus, Liquid and himself were all trying to oust the Patriots and "free" the world from their control.

And another thing, easily the most important. Why did Meryl l

ook pretty tasty in her Foxhound gear and yet she looked like a fucking transsexual in her wedding outfit?

I assume it was still Liquid in control of Ocelot when he meets Snake at the end and says it worked out exactly as he hoped. Big Boss himself said that Solidus, Liquid and himself were all trying to oust the Patriots and "free" the world from their control.

LOL about Meryl, so true ;)

As for the second bit:

Freeing the world from the Patriot's control was Ocelot's goal too. Liquid also wanted this, but kind of lost it along the way. I think, at least.

As for Vamp/Naomi:

Why is it so hard to believe that maybe they just had something going on? They'd been working together for a while, Naomi did actualyl seem sad when Vamp died.

Zero Punctutations Yahtzee posted a rather funny post on his site about the story.

So at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2 boy-fag usurper Raiden hooks up with his pregnant shrew bitch of a fiancee and goes off into the sunset, but in MGS4 it seems she had a little baby booboo and miscarried the whelp, whereupon the pasty twat of a father-to-be got all depressed and buggered off to travel the world becoming a cyborg ninja badass. He saves Snake from a few close encounters and generally acts like a broody psychotic. Meanwhile his ex has married old Colonel Campbell to hop up and down on dried out military dick. Anyway, Raiden shows up towards the end of the game to save Snake again and apparently gets crushed to death, poignantly thinking of the first time he met his wife.

At this point, I was almost impressed. I'm cynical enough to relish the schadenfreude when the happily ever after goes balls-up. Raiden suddenly seemed like much less of a universally hateful pussy. And Mrs. Raiden shacking up with the Colonel in response to Raiden's abandonment was good characterisation; it's the kind of thing you'd expect actual human beings to do.

But then!

Otacon mentions in passing after Raiden's poignant death scene that, oh, guess he didn't die after all and he's had a few glasses of milk and is ready for more action. He shows up again at the end of the last mission with both his arms chopped off and with power over lightning for no adequately explained reason. He's become a hideous, cold, cyborgified demon. Fair enough, I thought, kind of makes that whole poignant death sequence moot but whatever. He gets stabbed up a whole bunch by enemy soldiers.

But then!

At the very end of the game, in a tacked-on epilogue sequence, Raiden shows up in a hospital bed. Totally de-cyborgified with two nice healthy pink arms glued back on. And then his ex-wife shows up and tells him the full story. Apparently she and the Colonel were only PRETENDING to be married in order to defer suspicion from the Patriots! And she couldn't tell him this earlier because the PATRIOTS would have found out! Also her child was actually born healthy but she couldn't tell him that either because the kid had to be hidden from the PATRIOTS for some reason! Also his house didn't actually burn down and his dog didn't die, it was all the PATRIOTS! It was all because of the PATRIOTS and now everyone can be happy because the PATRIOTS are gone. PATRIOTS.

I don't get the Raiden bit in Act 5.

He appears with no arms, looking like the Black Knight from the Monty Python film, and a right pillock with a big sword in his mouth. You think, "Oh piss off, mate, your no threat whatsoever", but no, he's suddenly developed an awesome power of lightning which he promptly demonstrates to great effect. Then a load more FROG soldiers appear and very nicely wait for Raiden to tell Snake to leave them to him. Snake pisses off, the FROGS surround Raiden, and inexplicably decide that, although they've just seen their comrades fried, they'll not shoot Raiden from afar but instead draw their own knives/machetes as if it's some kind of honour duel.....forgetting that it's about 15 vs 1 and that their opponent is armless (sorry). Ooh the honour. Ooh the stupidity. Well I'm there expecting them all to die in a big flash of lightning, but noooo, Raiden must have decided that that would'nt be honourable and instead decides to take on these super elites using the old well known and ultra effective 'Gobbed Sword, Crouching Cripple' fighting style. Next shot....Raiden's clearly beaten and scrabbling pathetically along the floor.

So why didn't he use the lightning power?

And what was this whole pointless scene about?

It just made me think of Raiden as....well....a bit of a prat.

General story spoilers:

Looking back on it was there actually anyone in the MGS games that was actually a genuinely evil, bad person? I mean everyone had some reason/ back story/ excuse given for their actions (all the incidental bosses) or they were never evil to begin with they were just doing the wrong things for the right reasons (The Boss, Big Boss, Liquid, Ocelot, Solidus etc). Even Zero was pretty much absolved from blame by Big Boss saying that it was the AI that started fucking things up. So was there anyone in the MGS continuum that was truly a evil bastard?