IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid 4

jeroenr

Amazing. GAF did go proper nuts when MGS4 came out. It really showed that the game series has a serious following - far more than I gave it credit for, dispite personally being a fan.

I think their hysteria at the time (three quarters of the forum poorly pasting an eyepatch on their avatar using MSPaint for instance) had more to do with them viewing it as the game that would ride in on a white stallion and vanquish those usurpers Nintendo and Microsoft and the PS3 would ascend to it's rightful place on the throne of the Kingdom of Consoles... it didn't and six months later three quarters of the forum had poorly pasted Helghast eyes on their avatars instead.

Maybe it is and that's the 'new game' that they're working on. Makes sense to tie it in with the anniversary.

Nah, Project Ogre is definitely something else. I wouldn't be surprised if they release a 25th Anniversary Edition of the game though.

Did they ever fix the absurd loading between levels? I really enjoyed MG4 but that put a stop to me ever playing it again.

Well the Full Install thing will probably only take, what, about 100 minutes give or take? I could cope with that if I was doing something else. So if you've 25GB of drive space spare and don't want the loading, it's definitely an option.

• 3 weeks later...

The Trophy list has been more or less revealed:

Bronze You enjoy all the killing, that’s why Killed many enemies in one area, and vomited.

Bronze Divine Wind Caused a “divine wind” using the Tanegashima.

Bronze Hands Up! Held an enemy soldier at gunpoint and performed a body check.

Bronze Emotion Control Controlled an enemy soldier’s emotions using an Emotive Magazine.

Bronze Hurt me more! Shocked an enemy soldier using Mk. II/III.

Bronze Drum Can Addict Knocked an enemy soldier flying using a Drum Can.

Bronze That Tune Is His Mind Control Music Played Oishii Two-han Seikatsu and made one of the BB Corps dance.

Bronze Overhead view — just like old times… Used overhead view on Shadow Moses Island.

Silver SUNLIGHT! Obtained the Solar Gun.

Silver I Just Don’t Fear Death Caused ALERT status while wearing the Corpse Camo.

Silver Where I Can See Ya Located enemy soldiers using the Scanning Plug.

Silver Ghost Photography Addict Snapped at least 5 shots of ghosts on Shadow Moses Island.

Silver FaceCamo Addict Obtained 10 or more types of FaceCamo (excluding types obtained via password).

Silver Can you feel my power now!!!? Took control of an enemy soldier’s body using the Mantis Doll or Sorrow Doll.

Silver Are you an Otaku too? Viewed all model posters.

Silver You’re pretty good Got kissed by Ocelot during the final battle.

Gold Flashback Mania Viewed all flashbacks.

Gold Sounds of the Battlefield Obtained all iPod® tracks (excluding tracks obtained via password).

Gold I am THE expert on weapons, equipment and cutting-edge technology Obtained all weapons (excluding weapons obtained via password).

Platinum The Legendary Hero Obtained all trophies.

I say "more or less" as it was previously stated there were 34 Trophies, so the remaining 14 are likely story/progression related and thus hidden. In any case getting the Platinum will be tougher than it appears: in order to obtain all the audio tracks you'll need to unlock all 40 Emblems, so we're talking multiple playthroughs and meeting some challenging conditions.

The patch is due on Monday for Japan and the "beginning of August" for the US. Could be Europe will see it around the same time, but it's best not to assume.

I forgot how great this game is. It's been a few years since I've played it, with scant reminder of its existence save for people complaining about its expositive cutscenes or convoluted wrap-up, but now that it's starting to come back to me I can still appreciate it as one of this generation's best games.

I've taken the opportunity to play the game with a different approach to my usual take: traditionally I'm all about non-lethal stealth, so this time I'm actually trying out different weapons and getting stuck in with the militia. Other than the aim acceleration being a bit wacky it plays very well; the controls are a big improvement over its predecessors and are as about as intuitive as you could ask for given the scope of interactions. Indeed its those options I'm really enjoying, with so many other modern games being so limited in what you can do and where you can go.

The full install weighs in around 9GB, by the way. It took me about 15 minutes.

The install makes a big difference as well. I played for about an hour or so and it was something like 10 -15 secs at most to load the next part :) I might just stick with easy and play through the whole game again, I've no real desire for trophies or anything like that but playing it last night put me in the mood to play more. MGS4 gets a lot of shit, some of which is deserved, but I've always really enjoyed it.

It took 8minutes per chapter last time I played it, so it takes a third of the previous total time.

I hope they've also made the game actually work on Slim's without having to retry it 20 times. I ended up playing it from start to finish in one night because it took so long to get the game to boot without quitting. Sixteen hours :coffee:

I just turned my console on to discover it had stealth-downloaded it this morning, I love you PS+.

I did not love this game at the time but I'm going to start a MGS 1-4 run when that eBay copy I stupidly bought for the same price as the PSN download eventually turns up and I'm really looking forward to going through it again as I can remember so little about it and see to have forgotten what disappointed me.

• 3 months later...