Let The Right One In

lordcookie

I'm 100% with Sabreman on his "theory". That's EXACTLY what I was thinking about halfway through and by the end I was convinced. There are a few little lines and moments that I think totally backs that up.

Hmm, I don’t know about that.

It seems like an awful lot of effort to go to just to ‘groom’ a new helper. Killing the bullies would surely leave a trail to her and Oskar.

Hey there.

Okay... SPOILERS AHEAD.

Surely leaving that trail to them both just backs up the theory? As someone who has been living like that (a vampire) for a long time, surely she would know better than to just run around killing indiscriminately and leaving a ton of evidence leading directly to Oskar and then herself. That was the moment she "got him"..

The way I saw it the old guy may well have been with her since he was a kid. But he was getting old and sloppy and messing up. She was forced to go hungry and having to do things herself. Then she meets an angry young kid with a broken family and thoughts of killing already on his mind. The Old Man seems to notice her notice oskar and even asks her to stop seeing him. Maybe realising she may be lining up his replacement.

END SPOILERS.

Despin out.

Unable to resist the lure of a decent film, I succumbed and watched this tonight.

Being aware of the peculiar Depsinesque spoiler style, I avoided this thread after seeing his name pop up. Good job too, as it would have ruined the film for me in many ways, as he and Sabe are right. It was obvious very early on that the 'father' wasn't that at all, more a familiar of the vampire, and he foresaw his time coming to an end, clearly not the first or the last in a long line of mortal helpers/intimates whom the vampire had selected down the years. I imagine it always placed itself in situations (like the folorn block of loser flats) where it'd be most likely to recruit a willingly hopeless soulmate.

It's an old theme, but very subtly done, and the pity of the old guy's miserable thrall balanced the new kid's gratitude and (doubtless short-lived) empowerment beautifully: you could read a lot about hopelessly one-sided relationships from that, but best of all, this film didn't shove the young boy's doom down your throat - it's as stealthy as a seduction could be. Properly devilish, which is an exceedingly rare thing to see on the big screen.

In short (and without even mentioning the great direction, lovely cinematography, phenomenal performances, and the wonderful score), it's a classic in the genre, and a very good film outside of it, too.

This really deserved to have better distribution.

Going on what others have said, could a mod delete Despins post and have a word with him?

He's ruined this thread to be honest, it's not even released, yet he's not spoilered anything he's written.

People have made him aware of his ridiculous posting style before but he can't be arsed changing it, it seems.

Really can't wait to see this. My Swedish isn't quite good enough yet though to fully understand, so it looks like I'll be waiting for the DVD release for the subs. (I'm in Sweden, hence no subtitles at the cinema. :lol:)

Actually, screw it. I'll 'rent' it'. No point waiting!

Definitely film of the year for me so far. I didn't see it as darkly as some of you, but it's an interesting theory that makes me want to watch it again.

Further, it's even more depressing to think that Eli has seduced this preadolescent boy's mind before his sexual needs have developed. I personally found the revelation about Eli's gender very disturbing and it made me uncomfortable for the rest of the film. Thinking about it now, I think I agree with your interpretation; my wife just reminded me that Eli tells Oskar it can't be his friend when they first meet.

Saw this last week and yup, another good film which I had not heard of outside of rllmuk.

Did feel that the ending was a bit anti-climatic, not on a coen brothers level but it was still a shame given the build up was so nicely done

Have you read the theory presented in the thread? It changes the tone and meaning of the ending completely.

I never got the chance to watch this as closely as I'd have liked but I don't remember any talk of

genitals being removed or of Eli being male

I remember her saying

"I'm not a girl" but I just took that to be her saying that she wasn't human

Was there more to it than that?

It's in the book, theres also a shot in the film that comfirms this. The book goes into much more detail on the relationship between hakan and eli as well, the reason why he is with her. The book and film are complimentary i think.

This was amazing.

I think people are being a bit too cynical and depressing with regards to the Oskar/Eli relationship theory. I saw it as one of the sweetest portrayals of love I've ever seen.

The high-pitched beeping sound when Oskar got whipped in the face was a sublime touch.

I saw this a couple of weeks ago and thought it was, to echo everyone else, quite wonderful. Certainly the best new horror film I've seen this year and the best vampire film in ages, really looking forward to the release next year.

Regarding the motives behind Eli's befriending of Oskar; I think it can be taken either way, but the way I see it is that whilst Eli has essentially replaced her old 'helper' with a fresh new one, I don't think this is ELi just coldly using Oskar, there is genuine affection, it's just the only way in which Eli and a human can have a relationship has to end the same way. If that makes sense.

Regarding the motives behind Eli's befriending of Oskar; I think it can be taken either way, but the way I see it is that whilst Eli has essentially replaced her old 'helper' with a fresh new one, I don't think this is ELi just coldly using Oskar, there is genuine affection, it's just the only way in which Eli and a human can have a relationship has to end the same way. If that makes sense.

For sure. The bit when she climbs into the bed naked and holds his hand :)