Let The Right One In

lordcookie

Re: Eli's gender, whilst I'm aware it's made overt in the book, I'm not convinced there's definitive evidence in the movie. I know they dubbed the actresses voice to make her sound more androgynous, but the decision was made late in the production so I'm not sure they made the movie with this in mind, as opposed to an 'optional' subplot for readers of the book. There was no point upon my first viewing where the film make me think she was referring to herself specifically as a boy and not broadly as a vampire.

Re: Eli's gender, whilst I'm aware it's made overt in the book, I'm not convinced there's definitive evidence in the movie. I know they dubbed the actresses voice to make her sound more androgynous, but the decision was made late in the production so I'm not sure they made the movie with this in mind, as opposed to an 'optional' subplot for readers of the book. There was no point upon my first viewing where the film make me think she was referring to herself specifically as a boy and not broadly as a vampire.

It couldn't be much more obvious.

There's a close-up of Eli's lack of genitals and a big castration scar.

Just finished watching. I'm not going to spoil it by mentioning any thing about the film but suffice to say I thought it was wonderful. It's not what I was expecting but I'm so, so happy with what I got.

What a beautiful little film.

;) / 10

Thanks to you for this. I watched it a few nights ago with my girlfriend. Loved it.

Never looked at it that way. That’s pretty depressing, his only friend has recruited him as a serial killer and he has a life of misery and death by acid-bath to look forward to.

I thought this pretty much from the start. Then hoped it wasn't the case. I don't think it's as clear cut as some others think at all, as

Eli left but then came back to rescue him

It couldn't be much more obvious.

It could be considerably more obvious, given that the film's only real clue realistically requires a pause button (or possibly a cinema-sized screen). Not having read the book I just ignored that whole element, as it made no difference at all to the film.

I though the ending had a vague suggestion of redemption, though it was heavily tempered by the more overt suggestion of damnation. Chiefly it made me wonder if

acid guy was around the same age and in similar circumstances when he signed up

. That may have been addressed at some point because I was a bit drowsy for a while.

What scene is this in?

When he tells her she can wear some of his mum's clothes and he has a quick peek at her changing. Given the speed and in the context of the film you'd be forgiven for thinking he was just stunned by the first tick in his I Spy Fanny book. As I said a big-screen showing (or a better copy perhaps) might make it more obvious. Not all of us reach for the pause button at those moments, UNLIKE CRISPIN.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just watched this.

I was gripped from start to finish. So many many moments were I was expecting Eli to snag Oskar in the neck and carry him like a dog with a pidgeon in his mouth.

Regarding the ending.

I cottoned on quick that Oskar was a replacement for the familiar, but when Eli left in the taxi I thought that she truly liked him and didn't want him to have a life of misery. Her/him coming back was just a poignant moment for me in the end.

Unless it was just a ruse to further ensnare Oskar in her life.

:P

Wrote this on another forum I post on:

I suggest watching Let The Right One In before it gets an English language remake. It is easily one of the most unobtrusive vampire films I have ever seen. It is an amazing story of love between two twelve years old, it is just that one happens to be a vamire. A bullied boy befriends a girl who moves into his building and instantly falls in love. The two lead roles are really really well acted with neither of the young actors trying to own the screen. I really cannot recommend it enough.

Watched it on New Years Eve with the missus and thought it was amazing, was gripped from the offset until the credits rolled.

• 3 weeks later...

Watched this again yesterday, this was my third viewing and it gets better and better with each viewing. I watched it with a few people who had never heard of it and it was amazing watching them think it was just a serial killer film, then the truth slowly dawned on them... Nice when a film can genuinely surprise people.

I don't see how the remake is going to capture the beautiful desolation of Stockholm.

The novel (which is also excellent and the best new vampire book I've read in ages) is considerably more brutal than the film, which emphasises the central tender story. The remake will probably undermine Oskar and Eli and up the whole subplot where

Eli's first servant returns as a zombie and marauds through the town, ending up shut in a cupboard with one of the boy characters!

While that part worked in the book, it could go horribly schlocky in the wrong hands.

• 1 month later...

Just watched the Blu-Ray and really enjoyed it. Beautiful cinematography with wonderful acting and it was nice to see a period film that didn't try and hit you over the head with cultural references of the time.

Regarding the ending:

I think their relationship is far more complicated than Oskar being groomed or it being a standard love story as it falls between both stools. Eli does groom him to some extent - when she asks him to be like her a little and the desire to see him hit back at the bully thus crossing the threshold (just as he has to invite her in to his world these two scenes are where she invites him into hers). The scene where they sleep together is a really interesting one because on the one hand it is a really touching and intimate moment yet it comes straight after the death of her familiar so can be just as easily interpreted as her first real steps at finding a replacement. Even in the closing scene with her in the box they share a touching morse code message of small kiss - she had already snared him after the death of the children so the message was not necessarily needed to keep him sweet.

They both clearly need each other but it isn't explicit whether Oskar will ever kill for Eli. They share some dialogue about him wishing to kill someone yet when the opportunity arose (with Lacke in the flat) he backs away and drops the knife. I just think the film offers up too many options for it to be as black and white as Eli solely grooming Oskar to be her familiar.

The scene where they sleep together is a really interesting one because on the one hand it is a really touching and intimate moment yet it comes straight after the death of her familiar so can be just as easily interpreted as her first real steps at finding a replacement.

I thought that scene was creepy. Touching?

Well as I said it can be taken two ways. I certainly think it was supposed to be a touching moment

the naivety of Oskar wanting to go steady (even not caring what sex Eli is), the holding of hands and the sense that they both needed each other at that point.

But surely that's the whole film though?

To him in his naivety it's a love story but to her it's something entirely different.

I thought right down to the title of the film that was the point.

She's finding the right one. Not him.

If I haven't said so already I thought the film was utterly brilliant.

But surely that's the whole film though?

To him in his naivety it's a love story but to her it's something entirely different.

I thought right down to the title of the film that was the point.

She's finding the right one. Not him.

If I haven't said so already I thought the film was utterly brilliant.

In black and white terms you are right but I'm not sure her motives are quite as clear cut, or more accurately, I hope they're not because it simplifies things too much. I'm in agreement with what you say but I think there is more to Eli than just that.

In black and white terms you are right but I'm not sure her motives are quite as clear cut, or more accurately, I hope they're not because it simplifies things too much. I'm in agreement with what you say but I think there is more to Eli than just that.

Perhaps there might be some mileage in

her feeling something for Oscar throughout their meeting, some twinges of what used to be what you'd feel with new love, but I didn't think personally that that was what was driving her. And I didn't think there was much that pointed towards her being changed by Oscar. I saw him being led through the whole film. He's a 12 year old boy, she'll mould him over time, was what I saw. That was the beautiful tragedy of it I thought. He found his amazing and unique love but it's utterly doomed and he doesn't know it.

You're being too hopeful I think.

lordcookie should get a warn for not being cynical enough. :(

He's a 12 year old boy, she'll mould him over time, was what I saw. That was the beautiful tragedy of it I thought. He found his amazing and unique love but it's utterly doomed and he doesn't know it.

Whilst the relationship is most certainly doomed I think there is conflict between her need for a helper and her affection towards Oskar. I don't think she is quite as calculating as others here and whilst she is much older than her years she still has a child look curiosity (the way she plays with the Rubiks cube and reacts to the music Oskar plays in the apartment). Rather than just luring him in I think she is unsure of her feelings.

I do like the fact I'm being the most optimistic in this thread though as usually I'm called a cynical bastard.