Let The Right One In

lordcookie

Watched this tonight at the cinema and thought it was fantastic. Although I can see where people are coming from when they think that

Eli was just grooming Oskar from the start to be her helper, I dont believe that. For me the line where she asked if he would still like her if she was not a girl was more to do with protecting herself from getting too involved, she began to get feelings for him but was afraid that once he found out she used to be a boy he would not want her. When they are in bed together she tells him she is not a girl and he replies that he doesnt care, thats when she cuddles into him and holds his hand. For me that was the most touching moment in the film, he didnt care if she was a girl or a boy, human or vampire, they struck up a bond where that didnt matter.

Thats how I saw it anyway but I think both ways you look at it could be right, thats one of the best things about this movie.

Aye, but you can quite reasonably imagine that Eli had done exactly the same thing (or something similar) with previous 'pals'.

It's left open to interpretation, though, so each to his own.

Perhaps. but why would Eli choose a 12 year old boy to do her bidding when he is not only shy but is also in no way physically strong enough to kill another adult and gather blood?

Perhaps. but why would Eli choose a 12 year old boy to do her bidding when he is not only shy but is also in no way physically strong enough to kill another adult and gather blood?

Because she couldn't reasonably persuade an adult to do it for her? She'd likely be killed by them.

She chooses a vulnerable child because she knows she can manipulate him into that role over time.

I know, I linked to an interview with the author earlier in the thread. He accepts that the film deliberately implies the meaning that he doesn't like, though. And he also seems to accept that even his own book is open to interpretation. In effect, he's limiting the possible meanings retrospectively, down to one.

I think that's a bit odd for an artist. Ambiguity's a nice thing to have, otherwise you end up all George Lucas. This is a bit like Ridley Scott retrospectively adding the crappy happy ending scene to Bladerunner a few years later.

I thought his dad was gay and Oskar was uncomfortable when his boyfriend joined them.

I really, really thought I was going to be subjected to a horrific rape scene involving Oskar and the friend. I'm glad I wasn't.

In the film you get a short glimpse of her muff. I don't recall any scar?

It's a great big hideous scar around about the spot a penis would be, with a complete lack of muff. Granted it's only onscreen for a second though...

I really, really thought I was going to be subjected to a horrific rape scene involving Oskar and the friend. I'm glad I wasn't.

It's a great big hideous scar around about the spot a penis would be, with a complete lack of muff. Granted it's only onscreen for a second though...

Would she have a huge bush at 12 years old though?

just saw this at the cinema and absolutely loved it, a very rare kind of vampire movie, not over the top cgi, really loved the cinematography, and thought oskar and eli where great, totally agree with the various views so far, loved that so much of the film is open to interruption, i think overall, i was kinda optimistic in the end about eli... (but having just had an argument with my mate about me being to cynical and not open to happiness haha, so maybe i was trying to be hopeful)

going to be recommending to all my friends, i love it when you see a film and then a few hours later are still thinking about it and would like to watch it again, doesnt happen too often ...

I don't think I'll comment on the vampire's relationships and the ending of the film any more, as it's obviously open to interpretation as you say. Except...

Driving to work today, I happened to listen to a podcast of The Film Programme originally broadcast on 10 April. In it there's an interview with the director, Tomas Alfredson, and in it he said that when making the film they thought, rather than take the character as he's portrayed in the book, it would be "more interesting to suggest that

[the character of the older helper] would be an old, out-worn [sic] lover to the vampire", not an old paedophile.

Aha! Vindication of the realist's reading of the relationship!

Ah, but then he's said apparently contradictory stuff elsewhere, apparently. So I'm going to forget all about this one now.

Except...this BD/DVD business. It looks like the subs on the US disc are indeed as bad as shown earlier in the thread, as Alfredson has said of them that they "stink". So, in the event of a future BD release on this side of the pond, I'm making a plea right now for its first intrepid viewer to report back here and let us know it they're any cop on the R2 release.

TIA.

"Jungle Gym"

Anyway, saw it yesterday, very very good. Not a horror film. I assumed going in that I had seen most of the visuals already from ads, but it only ruined

that she was going to open the blinds and burn, which I knew was going to happen as soon as she was in the bed

but I'd advise going into this as blind as you can.

I don't think I'll comment on the vampire's relationships and the ending of the film any more, as it's obviously open to interpretation as you say. Except...

Driving to work today, I happened to listen to a podcast of The Film Programme originally broadcast on 10 April. In it there's an interview with the director, Tomas Alfredson, and in it he said that when making the film they thought, rather than take the character as he's portrayed in the book, it would be "more interesting to suggest that

[the character of the older helper] would be an old, out-worn [sic] lover to the vampire", not an old paedophile.

Aha! Vindication of the realist's reading of the relationship!

Ah, but then he's said apparently contradictory stuff elsewhere, apparently. So I'm going to forget all about this one now.

Except...this BD/DVD business. It looks like the subs on the US disc are indeed as bad as shown earlier in the thread, as Alfredson has said of them that they "stink". So, in the event of a future BD release on this side of the pond, I'm making a plea right now for its first intrepid viewer to report back here and let us know it they're any cop on the R2 release.

TIA.

The subtitles really don't make any difference to your appreciation of the film, man. I've watched both versions. The differences are so subtle I didn't even realise until I saw the link posted here.

What a fantastic film. A very streamlined and toned down version of the book yet still great in its own right. There are huge parts missing from the book but it really doesn't matter.

They did a cracking job of the casting, all of the characters felt believable. Oskar and Eli were great.

Wow. The whole transgender thing completely passed me by. I took the whole 'not a girl' 'can't be friend' and deep voice to be vampire based, not male. Plus the muff shot was a 'oh my god I've seen a girls bits' type thing - with the dark stuff being pubescent hair - not a scar.

So yeah. I was paying full attention and everything. Maybe they could have just held the shot a little longer. Or had Oscar comment on the scar in some way. It's a pity, because it really would have given everything that followed an even more odd slant.

Me too! I was so shocked by any exposed girl anatomy below the waist that I missed the scar and kept asking, "they can't show that in a film, can they? Surely it must be fake? Right?".

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this the other day, the dubbed version. The dub itself wasn't too clever, some characters had american accents, others scandinavian. Luckily it didn't detract from the film too greatly which was completely amaze. Best thing I've seen this year, probably.

• 2 months later...

Finally saw this last night, and absolutely loved it. Gave me plenty to think about afterwards, and I really wouldn't begrudge them a sequel or prequel. Although I suppose they would conclusively answer the things that we're happily left wondering about.

Just watched this and I definitely think that

Oskar will end up like Hakan, but I don't think it's as cynical as Eli deliberately grooming him; they make a real connection with each other, presumably just as Hakan made a connection however many years ago they met. I think that every companion she makes ends up killing for her, but that's a byproduct of falling in love with a vampire; it's not as if they are being forced to kill against their will anyway.

It's actually quite refreshing that you can read so much into a movie without it being explicitly spelled out onscreen.

It's a great film, but marketing it as a horror film is questionable.

For me it can be entirely interpreted either way;

Eli has been around long enough that she/he knows exactly how to manipulate those around to do her bidding, or that they have a genuine connection. You can even suggest that if she's doing it all for her own gains, it's because she's seen so many companions die over the decades.

There's plenty of ambiguity and depth to it, which is nice, and none of the conclusions really seem forced, or drawn from things not in the film.

Watched this early on this morning and absolutely loved it. It's very interesting reading all these interpretations as I'd actually

been quite optimistic about the whole relationship during the film. I think I'm gonna have to sit down and watch it again tonight. Put my best cynical cap on. Thanks for bringing me down, rllmuk! :D

• 1 month later...

I'll go along with the exquisite ambiguity of it all. Perhaps it's like normal relationships can be -

true love to start, emotional dependency later on.

Whichever way, doesn't make it any less worthwhile.

Now, perhaps you kind gentlefolks can help me here, because there's a more black and white (hopefully) issue that vexes me. I only watched the Blu-Ray on a two night rental, though I did manage to fit two viewings in. This of course depends on the particular mechanics of vampirism that are in use, and I admit that I'll probably feel I need another viewing whatever is said here.

The scene in which Oskar explores the invitation aspect of vampires is beautifully done, and certainly more interesting than an invisible barrier or similar. But this scene takes place after the scene in which Eli climbs into bed with Oskar, and my second viewing of the film brought a "Where was the invite? Why the invite later on?" kind of reaction. So did I simply miss something?

It doesn't seem to be listed as a goof anywhere. Your thoughts?